• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Iron v Rovers

Match result

• Scunthorpe

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't think it is that huge an issue, as it is inevitable that a certain number of squad signings won't be great and Merrie also provides cover in that position. The more pressing issue is how we ended up without a single reliable centre forward (subject to events in the next couple of days).

ADD

Player
Norwood
ADD, how much have you seen of him? He had a poor game at Oldham but had been out for most of pre-season, while one season at Crawley aside, he doesn't seem to have accrued much game time.
My apologies Boz. I was asking re Maguire but my comment re back ups being capable was re Mani though as you say given Macguire had so little game time why sign him?

Reactions: Boz

drwhoman

One of the great joys about this blog is the balanced approach taken by so many of us. Myself, I must confess to a great sense of exasperation at what was an entirely predictable result. I know we are only two points off seventh but unless something is done before the transfer window closes it has the potential to be a very long season. I sense that the players may be losing confidence already which is not a good thing! A good win next time out and I might feel differently!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
One thought on why Merrie rather than Maguire as sub left back. At the point Macdonald came off, we were chasing the game and Micky may have thought Merrie the better attacking option, given he set up our only league goal to date.

ADD

Player
Norwood
He has had covid, rather harsh judgement on him.
Have already clarified in my response to Boz - I was talking about Mani not Maguire - got my wires crossed.....apologies!
No idea re Maguire although given he has been on the bench recently one has to assume he is fit again and MM simply doesn't fancy him?

drwhoman

If Maguire had Covid he might still be feeling the effects. 'Long' covid seems to be affecting many people even though they have seemingly recovered. However, given our lack of bodies he might still have to turn up to work.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Well why doesn't he leave him on the bench, play Merrie alongside Spearing and Watson in the number 10 role.
I agree Merrie
This is why Micky knows we need more than just a striker. Feeney is 34 and far past his best yet he’s playing every minute and taking all the set pieces.
I honestly think there are 2 or 3 players capable of doing a better job as a no. 10/attacking midfield than Feeney, who I think is best out wide. Not overly fast but is strong enough to find a yard and put in a decent cross.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I agree Merrie
I honestly think there are 2 or 3 players capable of doing a better job as a no. 10/attacking midfield than Feeney, who I think is best out wide. Not overly fast but is strong enough to find a yard and put in a decent cross.
It's his crosses and set ball proficiency which is upsetting people about Feeney most though...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It's his crosses and set ball proficiency which is upsetting people about Feeney most though...
Yes, he is fine at keeping the ball in the middle of the pitch, and it is his final ball that is the problem

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Yes, he is fine at keeping the ball in the middle of the pitch, and it is his final ball that is the problem
Granted. Different ball required from the middle though.. He's been good out wide before and many of his previous assists have come from the wing. A cross is a cross and into a good area in the box. Doesn't have to be as pin point or weighted from CM/no.10.There is an onus on the strikers to be there for crosses as Mickey alluded to after the Scunthorpe game - lamenting the number of crosses (not by Feeney obvs) that weren't attacked.
I just think wide is his best position and he could o a decent job - if there's someone better great. But for me he shouldn't be CM/no 10.