• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Iron v Rovers

Match result

• Scunthorpe

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is a trip to Scunny next for Rovers, as we try and get our season back on track after a disappointing performance and result last Saturday.

On paper this looks like a good opportunity for Tranmere to get back to winning ways. Scunthorpe are one of the favourites for relegation, winless in sixteen games, and a club that seems to be stagnating both on and off the pitch. However, their early season form is fairly similar to our own, and they are actually on a run of three games without defeat. The majority of their bigger name players seem to have departed in the summer, and the only squad members I am particularly familiar with are Ryan Loft and ex-Rover, Devarn Green.

It will be interesting to see which tactics Micky adopts for this game. With the striker situation unresolved I expect he will stick with five at the back, although I think MacManaman will start, probably ahead of Glatzel. I think Ryan Watson will also come into the side, but not in the number ten position where I think Feeney has actually played pretty well this season. Nevitt deserves to keep his place ahead of Mani. There have been many calls for Merrie to start games, but it is difficult to see how he fits into the side, unless we either play with two defensive midfielders or change formation.

We really need to find our shooting boots and win this game, or we are in danger of being cut adrift from the early challengers at the top of the table.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
it doesn't look like there will be any additions to the squad before the weekend, in fact Scunthorpe with all their assorted issues have added to their squad more recently than Rovers, loanee striker Jake Scrimshaw scoring on debut to help earn a draw v Sutton. The hosts have scored in 3 of their four league games so it's likely we'll need to hit the back of the net to come away with something.

Apparently the hosts played a 3511 formation last weekend. Dependent on fitness, with both Morris and Clarke picking up knocks in the Newport game, I would expect us to stick with 5 at the back. Further forward it gets more difficult. My view is that player rotation should operate for most players, especially on the back of a game we lost and given we need goals, it is time to play Watson as a no 10. I thought Feeney had a decent game v Walsall, but didn't stand out v Swindon and he's never been a prolific scorer and most of his telling contributions have come from wider positions, so either rest him or play out wide. If Watson is played further forward, that also leaves a place for Merrie in midfield. Nevitt to start up front.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If we continue to play a negative formation like the one used against Newport, we will continue to struggle. We may pick up the odd unexpected point, but won’t win many games or even score many goals. The team needs to have belief in itself to have any hope of succeeding.
Yes, we do need an experienced, prolific striker. But until one arrives, please can we play more positively. We do have players capable of scoring goals- Nevitt, Glatzel, Manny and several of the midfielders.
If we line up with 3/5 at the back, I expect us to lose. Scunthorpe know where the net is. They also have a poor defence, but we have to put it under pressure to score any goals.
Rant over.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Some good calls there Boz. Feeney out wide in particular. Early days but I think Merrie stands out at this level so will be good to see him included.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
I am not sure three at the back is necessarily as negative as is being suggested. I think the issue last Saturday was more the team selection rather than the formation, with two defensive midfielders and a lack of youth and energy in the side.

We won a lot of games in Mellon's first spell here playing a back three.

Having said all of that, I still would not use a back three / five at home.

Outoftowner

Player
Chris Merrie
Manager
Micky Mellon
It is a trip to Scunny next for Rovers, as we try and get our season back on track after a disappointing performance and result last Saturday.

On paper this looks like a good opportunity for Tranmere to get back to winning ways. Scunthorpe are one of the favourites for relegation, winless in sixteen games, and a club that seems to be stagnating both on and off the pitch. However, their early season form is fairly similar to our own, and they are actually on a run of three games without defeat. The majority of their bigger name players seem to have departed in the summer, and the only squad members I am particularly familiar with are Ryan Loft and ex-Rover, Devarn Green.

It will be interesting to see which tactics Micky adopts for this game. With the striker situation unresolved I expect he will stick with five at the back, although I think MacManaman will start, probably ahead of Glatzel. I think Ryan Watson will also come into the side, but not in the number ten position where I think Feeney has actually played pretty well this season. Nevitt deserves to keep his place ahead of Mani. There have been many calls for Merrie to start games, but it is difficult to see how he fits into the side, unless we either play with two defensive midfielders or change formation.

We really need to find our shooting boots and win this game, or we are in danger of being cut adrift from the early challengers at the top of the table.
Chris Merrie is a centre mid, so we basically have 4 players chasing 2 positions - I guess that’s the cunumdrum !

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If we fail to score or even lose the game, the pressure will really start to mount up. We will get chances as we have in previous games but can we put them away? Defensively, we are pretty solid so let’s hope we see some good attacking play from the midfield through to the forwards.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
This is hopefully a game to get back on track and win. I think mcmanaman will start and we will win 1 0 with Nevitt getting the winner

ADD

Player
Norwood
Think it will be a dull game with us having the majority of posession but a lot of it being as we pass the ball round the back line but with little incisive play. Going for 0-0 in the hope that that will mean I am dead wrong and we find our scoring boots and win easily!
Team wise I would definitely stick with Nevitt and Glatzel up front. McManaman to start also.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Completely agree with the above. This game has 0-0 all over it, with Micky again setting the team up to try and not concede. We have some really technical forward players and I would love to see them given more licence to take the game to the opposition. Here is hoping we are all wrong and we absolutely steamroller them!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just had another glance at the league table. Scored one, conceded one. Are we possibly the most boring team to watch? It doesn't make great reading in contrast to FGR who have scored 13 and condeded 6. Even Oldham who are hopelessly bottom after four games have scored more than us!

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think scoring and conceding goals are the only determinants of how boring or interesting a team is.

I thought our game at Swindon last week was very entertaining, but perceptions change after one poor result.....

Yes, we need to score more goals, but by no means all aspects of the performances have been negative.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I don't think scoring and conceding goals are the only determinants of how boring or interesting a team is.

I thought our game at Swindon last week was very entertaining, but perceptions change after one poor result.....

Yes, we need to score more goals, but by no means all aspects of the performances have been negative.
For me first half was an entertaining game the second half was fairly dull and uneventful

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought both Walsall and Swindon games were fairly entertaining. Despite the lack of goals in the latter, our approach was a step up from the turgid 0-0s under Hill for example at Scunthorpe or home to Colchester. Only saw brief highlights of the other games, but I did think it was a mistake to go for 5 at the back v Newport.

Some suggestion that Scunthorpe's loanee forward Scrimshaw may be one of a pair of their players missing with covid, but not confirmed.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
From listening to the Scunthorpe supporters, it sounds like their squad is in a similar position to ours. Defence fine but no recognised striker. A 0-0 is starting to sound like a real possibility.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm going for two nil - Nevitt and Glatzel. I'd be surprised if we conceded and I think the two young strikers are due a goal.

If we don't win, we risk being left behind and it certainly won't do morale any good not to beat a side without a win despite probably the easiest start of any team in this league.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I'm thinking 1-0, 0-0 or 0-1
Wouldn't be too unhappy with a point and would prefer it to be a 4-4. Not to Micky's liking, but it'd be nice to see a few go in the other end.
Would be made up if Nevitt and/or Glatzel got on the score sheet.