• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Ipswich v Rovers

Ipswich v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Portman Road
Saturday, September 28, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 28, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Not sure what the formation will be ? 352 with Rides at centre back ?
Possibly 442 with Morris right in a midfield 4? May suit the available personnel better, but not for an away game at the league leaders! You're probably right - intrigued to see.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Having fallen behind quickly got level through Payne, appears that we are holding our own

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Harsh scoreline as we played some very good stuff today but Ipswich were ruthless with the relatively few chances they did create.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Still only 1 point off 16th and not a massive shock so we move on.

The one positive is Nors didn’t score

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounds like we put up a reasonable fight and the scoreline perhaps a little flattering, but that's two successive heavy defeats on our travels. With trips to Coventry and Sunderland next month, we need to find a way of stemming the tide.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Scottie definitely should have done better with their second goal but he made a crucial double save last week so swings and roundabouts

Player
Manager
John King
As strange as it sounds, I thought it was a decent performance today. The scoreline suggests a thrashing, but in reality we were well in the game for long periods, playing some good stuff and creating chances throughout.

The one obvious difference was in the final third: whereas we got into good areas numerous times but failed to find a finish or final ball, when the game became stretched in the second half Ipswich picked us off on the counter attack and took their chances impressively. That said, we were certainly the better side in the first half, competitive in the second half and there was not much between the sides in general play. Ultimately, it was an error by Scott and two superb individual goals that won the game for the hosts.

I thought the midfield trio were really good today and got a grip of the game early on. Danns was superb again and our best player in my view. I also thought Ollie Banks had his best game of the season: he seems to have benefited from playing alongside Potter in much the same way as Harris benefited from Perkins' assistance last season, and his use of the ball is much more consistent now. We looked better balanced with Caprice back at right wing back and Jake's performance suggests he has what it takes to make it at this level. Manny was excellent again at the back and I was impressed with Payne's movement up front. In addition to the goal, he had two or three chances which he could and perhaps should have done better with, but at least he is consistently getting into the right areas.

It is never great to concede four gals, but I am not sure away matches at Ipswich, Coventry and Sunderland have much relevance for our overall objective this season. It is crucial we pick up points next week against Shrewsbury now.

It was also great to see Norwood getting a standing ovation from the SWA when he went off.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
As strange as it sounds, I thought it was a decent performance today. The scoreline suggests a thrashing, but in reality we were well in the game for long periods, playing some good stuff and creating chances throughout.

The one obvious difference was in the final third: whereas we got into good areas numerous times but failed to find a finish or final ball, when the game became stretched in the second half Ipswich picked us off on the counter attack and took their chances impressively. That said, we were certainly the better side in the first half, competitive in the second half and there was not much between the sides in general play. Ultimately, it was an error by Scott and two superb individual goals that won the game for the hosts.

I thought the midfield trio were really good today and got a grip of the game early on. Danns was superb again and our best player in my view. I also thought Ollie Banks had his best game of the season: he seems to have benefited from playing alongside Potter in much the same way as Harris benefited from Perkins' assistance last season, and his use of the ball is much more consistent now. We looked better balanced with Caprice back at right wing back and Jake's performance suggests he has what it takes to make it at this level. Manny was excellent again at the back and I was impressed with Payne's movement up front. In addition to the goal, he had two or three chances which he could and perhaps should have done better with, but at least he is consistently getting into the right areas.

It is never great to concede four gals, but I am not sure away matches at Ipswich, Coventry and Sunderland have much relevance for our overall objective this season. It is crucial we pick up points next week against Shrewsbury now.

It was also great to see Norwood getting a standing ovation from the SWA when he went off.
Thanks for the report RLC. Did we play with 3/5 at the back or a flat 4?

Agree that away matches against the better teams won't define our season - that will be done at home and against the rest of the league. However, important that we remain competitive in all our games to maintain confidence and belief within the squad. It sounds like we did that today and the match stats seem to agree with that.

I think I'd rather be going into next weekend with this result than the 0-3 home defeat that the Shrews suffered. Having said that I'm not particularly looking forward to coming up against Callum Lang again; he was very impressive in our visit to Oldham last season. Like every game at this level it will be another tough one for sure.

Player
Manager
John King
Thanks for the report RLC. Did we play with 3/5 at the back or a flat 4?

Agree that away matches against the better teams won't define our season - that will be done at home and against the rest of the league. However, important that we remain competitive in all our games to maintain confidence and belief within the squad. It sounds like we did that today and the match stats seem to agree with that.

I think I'd rather be going into next weekend with this result than the 0-3 home defeat that the Shrews suffered. Having said that I'm not particularly looking forward to coming up against Callum Lang again; he was very impressive in our visit to Oldham last season. Like every game at this level it will be another tough one for sure.
We started with five at the back, with Ridehalgh at centre half. We switched to 4312 then 442 after going 2-1 down, which was understandable as we had to chase the game, but left us more exposed defensively and enabled Ipswich to counter-attack against us with far greater ease.

Their third goal was an unbelievable individual effort from their right back, Kane-Young. However, he was allowed to run forty yards unopposed down our left hand side, which I think was the result of a lack of organisation as we adjusted to the new system. That goal effectively killed the game.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It is disappointing to lose any game especially by a scoreline of 4 1 but the main aim this season is to avoid relegation which I am hopeful we will do as Bolton are certs to go down and I think we are better than at least two other teams in this league.

We do need to tighten up at the back and be better in the final third but I think injuries are also causing us big problems with a huge number of players out injured

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks for the report, RLC. Like you, I am not too concerned about the occasional heavy defeat. This won't be the last this season for sure. Let's face it, we can't challenge the big boys at the moment. This year is about survival and consolidation. We have the ability, the management and the spirit to stay up but it will be a bumpy ride.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Having caught up with the goals, while the 1st and 4th were quality, albeit the latter from Kane-Young could have been defended better, the 2nd and 3rd were down to defensive errors. The 2nd was a fumble by Scott Davies, whose handling was also suspect in the one chalked out for offside shortly after, while the third seemed to feature an unfortunate ricochet giving Ipswich an easy finish.

While I think Bolton, with a further points deduction in the offing are unlikely to survive, the other places are currently occupied by managerless Southend and Wimbledon, with a temporary manager in place and both have the potential to turn things around. The injuries are a concern, as is the team defending, though it sounded like Monthe and Nelson had reasonable games yesterday. However, this league is a hard one to call, when you look at how high Bristol Rovers have risen after an unimpressive start.

Player
Manager
John King
Our defending needs to be better, particularly when possession is turned over, but I think we have to bear in mind the quality of the opposition when performances are assessed. Some of the top sides will have attacking players that are simply too good for us in our current circumstances. We won't come up against two other full backs as good as Ipswich's at this level.

I don't see the goals we conceded yesterday in the same light as the ones we let in against Rochdale, for example.

Player
aldo
thanks guys . not seeing the games at the mo not been once yet hoping that will change soon . but they do need to sort out the defending . and sharpen up front