• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Ipswich v Rovers

Ipswich v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Portman Road
Saturday, September 28, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 28, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not sure if there's a good time to play The Tractor Boys as they are flying high at the top of the table but Rovers travel to Suffolk on Saturday to lock horns with Ipswich and former Rover James Norwood who has netted five times so far this season.

Ipswich are unbeaten this season and have six wins out of their nine games most recently beating Gillingham and MK Dons on the road. Their last home game was a 0-0 draw with Doncaster so they'll want to make up for that with a home win on Saturday.

This is going to be an incredibly tough game but Rovers will be in good spirits after the home victory against Burton with Rovers snatching victory with two very late goals.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Sadly I can only see a comfortable home win possibly 3 0 although I would be delighted to be wrong.

Im not sure what the team will be but with Perkins out for several weeks & Ray presumably out I would think Gilmour & Caprice will be in the squad as nobody else is fit to return yet

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In a sense this game is a free hit. If we had failed to pick up any points last week we would go into Saturday's match under massive pressure, but as it is, I think we can approach the game in a relatively relaxed mood and hopefully enjoy the occasion.

Ipswich are still unbeaten and have a strong squad, aside from the front two of Norwood and ex-Wrexham striker Kayden Jackson. There are some familiar names and plenty of quality: Luke Garbutt, Alan Judge, Danny Rowe and our own Janoi Donacien, one of the few players from the ill-fated 2014-15 squad to go on and have a good career.

I would guess Micky would want to stick with the 352 formation we used last Saturday, but the injury to Ray will present a problem. Will we play Ridehalgh out of position as a third centre back, or switch to a back four with Caprice risked at right back ? Further up the pitch, I think Jennings might be preferred to Neil Danns because of his workrate and defensive qualities.

It is difficult to see us getting a result, but we just have to show the same spirit and focus as in the recent Peterborough game. We have have already sold over 500 tickets so it will be another good following from the SWA.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
My prediction:
Ipswich Town 0, Tranmere Rovers 1
................................ Norwood (own goal)

Well, I suppose after four years as one of us, Nors might just for a moment forget who he is playing for. ;)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think it's important we avoid a hammering, but agree that a better than expected return from the last two home games takes the pressure off a little.

Donacien looked best at right-back for Rovers, but Adams preferred him in central defence, with the converse for Ihiekwe. He wasn't in their side or on the bench for the win at Gillingham, so may be out injured. Nors, returning from injury, was on the bench and had a cameo as sub. I thought that Ipswich might struggle to adapt to this level, but they have started the campaign well.

On line-up, Borthwick-Jackson struggled with his defensive duties v Burton and I would be apprehensive starting him against a strong opponent. Wonder if Caprice can play as the right sided of a central defensive trio... On Danns own admission, he's not fully match-fit, yet Mickey preferred him to Jennings when Perkins went off injured last weekend. Any updates on how long Perks will be out for?

Ben Toner the referee gave one of the worst displays of officiating at Mansfield last season, so fear another homer performance from the man with the whistle.

Player
aldo
a 0-1 win with the home side hitting the post 5 times 4 goals ruled out for off side and a player having three 1 on 1s and missing them . 95th min corner with mammy with a diving header . its the type of game we will get some thing

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Caprice and Danns start, replacing Perkins and Ray.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The right choice at the back, though interesting to see how Caprice copes defensively. Connor Jennings still seems to be out of favour, while Borthwick-Jackson doesn’t make the bench, which looks very unbalanced with no defenders.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I see Steve Dale is refereeing the match .. oops, my mistake, Ben Toner ...

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
The right choice at the back, though interesting to see how Caprice copes defensively. Connor Jennings still seems to be out of favour, while Borthwick-Jackson doesn’t make the bench, which looks very unbalanced with no defenders.
Isn't Walker-Rice a defender, I'm sure I've seen him play full back? Can only assume that CBJ has a knock, although he wasn't very convincing last weekend. it would be a bit of a snub if he selected one of our young pros ahead of him.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Isn't Walker-Rice a defender, I'm sure I've seen him play full back? Can only assume that CBJ has a knock, although he wasn't very convincing last weekend. it would be a bit of a snub if he selected one of our young pros ahead of him.
Danny Walker-Rice is a forward. Are all our other defenders injured? Is Calum Woods still out?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think DWR is an attacking midfielder. If CBJ is available would have him on the bench, otherwise would have gone for Spellman who is a defender.