• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Independent article

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think this is very harsh! I know a couple of well educated and knowledgeable Bury fans, one a financial professional, and have challenged them both in the past regarding Stewart Day's commercial model. The complexity of his model and the limitations on what he had to disclose clearly made it very difficult for his machinations to be challenged. Ultimately, he promised that the club was well run and secure via his innovative approach to finance. With hindsight, after failure, it is a lot easier to point at the warning signs. At the time both my friends defended Day on the basis that he had robustly and convincingly defended himself when challenged. Taking this into account and that we all have a natural bias towards our own club - we are supporters at the end of the day - I would not levy any blame at the fans. Bury's financial plight (at least that which is over and above the "normal" economic stuff that is endured by many clubs) is entirely down to stewardship. It doesn't exactly cover the EFL in glory, either, who must have some responsibility to monitor both who is running its clubs and how they are doing so.
It was not just Day who behaved recklessly. Most of the debt was built up by his predecessor as early as 2014 - when they won their first promotion - and the unsustainable model was highlighted by many people at the time, including David Conn in the national press. As they have admitted themselves elsewhere, a number of Bury fans were aware of the dangers of the situation, yet none of their supporter groups took any action against the owner and were happy to take the success. Compare and contrast with the actions of the Blackpool and Coventry supporters, among others. Bury are repeat offenders and the public were well aware of the risks they were taking.

Player
Manager
John King
I think it is just as likely that Plymouth would get a reprieve.
In 1990 when Swindon were denied promotion to the First Division due to financial irregularities, Sunderland, the losing play off finalists, were promoted in their place (and immediately relegated !). As part of the same process, we were briefly promoted to Division Two as Swindon were originally demoted two divisions, a penalty which was reduced on appeal.

However, if history was repeated I still get the feeling that Plymouth would be reinstated in League One.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
It was not just Day who behaved recklessly. Most of the debt was built up by his predecessor as early as 2014 - when they won their first promotion - and the unsustainable model was highlighted by many people at the time, including David Conn in the national press. As they have admitted themselves elsewhere, a number of Bury fans were aware of the dangers of the situation, yet none of their supporter groups took any action against the owner and were happy to take the success. Compare and contrast with the actions of the Blackpool and Coventry supporters, among others. Bury are repeat offenders and the public were well aware of the risks they were taking.
RLC, I don't disagree with much you say. Day's model was unsustainable but I dispute the awareness of the situation - yes, anybody could "smell a rat" but awareness relies on disclosure that Day never gave, nor had to give. Likewise to say the "public were well aware of the risks"; how could they be for the same reason? The supporters groups DID try to hold Day to account via Q&As and meetings but, ultimately, the public's crime was to take at face value what their chairman was telling them. The Bury fans have had the wool pulled over their eyes and now that the chickens have come home to roost are obviously gutted despite their promotion. It really does make you realise how fortunate we are to have Mark and Nicola at the helm and for PJ's sensible benevolence as we went through our own difficulties.

Player
Manager
John King
RLC, I don't disagree with much you say. Day's model was unsustainable but I dispute the awareness of the situation - yes, anybody could "smell a rat" but awareness relies on disclosure that Day never gave, nor had to give. Likewise to say the "public were well aware of the risks"; how could they be for the same reason? The supporters groups DID try to hold Day to account via Q&As and meetings but, ultimately, the public's crime was to take at face value what their chairman was telling them. The Bury fans have had the wool pulled over their eyes and now that the chickens have come home to roost are obviously gutted despite their promotion. It really does make you realise how fortunate we are to have Mark and Nicola at the helm and for PJ's sensible benevolence as we went through our own difficulties.
As I have said, the majority of the financial damage was done under Day's predecessor, not Day himself. The excessive borrowing began in 2014 and was widely publicised at the time in the press, and was reported in published accounts which are available free of charge to anybody who wants to read them. Day exacerbated the situation, he did not create it, and - correct me if I am wrong - his predecessor was never held to account by the Bury supporters. Why would he be, when he delivered them promotion in 2015 and made the promise of Championship football ?

From 2014 onwards Bury borrowed £14 million secured against the ground and the surrounding land. If those loans could not be repaid - which they have not been - all of the assets of the club would be seized. Those loans were reported in club accounts and in press articles, and were discussed at length on Tranmere forums such as the Cowsheds at the time. You did not need to be an accountant to understand the stupid risks the club was taking, and those loans have been in place for five years, not since last week. Yet, no Bury supporter group challenged the previous owner as far as I am aware. Do you really believe our supporters' trust would be so complicit / naive in the same circumstances ?

Of course the major responsibility for Bury's problems lies with their current and previous owner, but when compared with other clubs in similar situations, their supporters did little if anything to hold the owners to account. Some fanbases are more realistic and responsible than others.

Player
Manager
John King
Sorry to bang on about this topic but.....

Gateshead have today been demoted two divisions from the National League to the Evostick League for financial misdemeanours, something which has happened numerous times to non-league clubs.

It makes you wonder why the same treatment is not meted out to Bolton and Bury, rather than relatively minor points deductions deferred by one season.

Different rules for EPL / EFL clubs it seems.....

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think the NL approach is a bit harsh, but certainly would approve similar for the repeat offenders RLC mentions.