• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Imps v Rovers

Imps v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Sincil Bank Stadium
Monday, April 22, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Monday, April 22, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ADD

Player
Norwood
Yes I thought Norwood would be rested and Dagnall also start with CJ moving into midfield. Glad however we have 2 up front. Gumbs on the bench also. Perkins travelled but not on bench - hopefully might be back for Bury?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Interesting selection. Mullin must have impressed Micky. Looks like an attacking 4-4-2. Two defenders on the bench as Boz suggested.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Glad we have got two up front. Mellon obviously wants to win the game and thinks that Mullin will help Nors with the workload.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Fair play, I guess Mellon aint giving up on the autos yet!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
0-0 HT. Not bad. Can we sneak one 2nd half?

Player
Manager
John King
Backs to the wall for the most part but we have defended well and restricted Lincoln. We need more composure in midfield when we win the ball back.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just heard the sky sports news summary saying Norwood could have had a hat trick second half and we’ve had the better chances

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A shame we couldn't nick one as the other results would have helped. So, no auto this time but we are as good as in the playoffs. Something to celebrate, I think. Who else has taken four points off Lincoln and stopped them scoring?

Player
Manager
John King
Great second half from Rovers and we should have won. We had three or four good chances and controlled midfield after the tactical change. Great effort from the players.

Player
Manager
John King
Auto promotion is not impossible. Beat Bury next week and see where we are.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
If we beat Bury on Saturday and either of Mansfield or MK Dons slip up it is still possible that we could be auto promoted although very unlikely. Mansfield still to play MK Dons. I really don't want to be present at ANOTHER Bury promotion party ...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Great point! What is with the injuries again?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The injuries are mounting up at the wrong time although Perkins could be fit for Saturday, worst thing is we are almost certain to be playing fg in the play offs

ADD

Player
Norwood
Well that was a game of 2 halves - we were second best by miles in the first half and were really struggling to keep hold of the ball. The tactical change at half time with Gilmour coming on worked wonders today - not so sure that Gumbs was a tactical switch as MM said, although Nelson had been struggling physically against their lumps up front. More likely his shoulder injury was the issue.
Second half we were so much better - we had much more control in midfield with Gilmour in there and yes Nors had several good opportunities. His injury may have had something to so with it but as he has already commented on Twitter he should have at least put one of them away today. He certainly was not able to chase and harry as much as he normally did. Overall though a much improved second half display and certainly on the balance of play we deserved at least a draw, and arguably the 3 points. Individually, Monthe did well as always and Gumbs did great when he came on given how little he has played for us - I hope his injury is less serious than it looks. Nelson struggled with their physical presence and Banks was poor today - he certainly misses Perkins along side him and struggled to get into the game - plus he can't tackle. Harris did ok and again tackled well with not even a hint of a yellow card!
Ironic that we have 4 points against the Champions and the dropped 6 points against FGR are the reason we will be in the play offs. We HAVE to beat them if we play them in the playoffs.

Player
Manager
John King
I feared the worst today with the number of players we have missing, but that performance gives me heart for the play-offs. There is no doubt we created the better chances over the ninety minutes and I think we should have won the game.

The match mirrored the game at Prenton Park earlier in the season. In the first half Lincoln were in control and we had to soak up a lot of pressure, albeit we were never outplayed and we defended resolutely. Lincoln were impressive with Akinde an absolute handful up front and the two wide men, Rowe and Andrade, hugging the touchline to really stretch the play and producing some superb deliveries. However, the Imps only had one genuine goalscoring opportunity, for Rowe after about five minutes, and while we were at full stretch defensively at times, we held out relatively comfortably.

In the second half, I think Mellon outfoxed Cowley tactically for the second time this season. The switch to a five man midfield gave us more control, but interestingly it was Harris who played the furthest forward of the midfield trio, and he, Jennings and Norwood linked up to great effect, resulting in the chances referred to above which we should have put away. I also thought Morris and Banks played well after the change of shape. At the end of the game, I was disappointed we had not won, but still proud of the players' efforts when you consider what is going against us at the moment.

Individually, Nelson looked very jittery early on up against their two brutes, but had settled by half time and produced a superb headed clearance from a cross by Rowe. By contrast, as harsh as it sounds, I thought Gumbs looked like an accident waiting to happen when he came on. He made two or three unforced errors, one of which, when he headed the ball straight to Akinde without looking, could easily have resulted in a goal. Manny was immense and did the job of two defenders in the periods when we were under the cosh. Connor Jennings had a particularly good second half and Norwood looked pretty much back to his usual self with some great movement, albeit no finish.

It was a great atmosphere in the ground, with superb backing from the SWA as always, tarnished only by the actions of some of their idiots who invaded the pitch at the final whistle and headed straight for the travelling fans in an attempt to goad them, events which were dealt with ineffectively by the stewards and police.

A good performance and providing we can find two fit centre backs, I think we can be optimistic about the next few weeks.