• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Imps v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The biggest match of the season for Tranmere as we travel to Sincil Bank to take on second-placed Lincoln. As at their previous clubs, the Cowley brothers have made an immediate impact with the Imps, transforming them from mid table also-rans to serious title contenders in a matter of months. They have a strong squad, including Matt Rhead, Theo Robinson, Danny Woodyard and Nathan Arnold among others, but their best centre back, Sean Raggett, misses this game through suspension. That loss is balanced by the absence of Andy Cook who has broken his finger in the gym (dropped a dumb-bell on it!) and will be out for a couple of weeks. A major blow for Rovers, as he has been by far our best striker this season.

In terms of selection, Micky has an embarrassment of riches with all of the squad bar-Cook now available. I would imagine we will start with the diamond formation once again, but it is difficult to guess the personnel. Given the importance of winning the midfield battle in this game, it might be worth giving James Wallace sixty minutes. I would probably go with the following line up:

Davies
Vaughan Big Mac Sutton Ridehalgh
Hughes
Wallace Maynard
Tollitt
Mangan Norwood

Rovers have already sold over 600 tickets for the game with four coaches fully booked. The pre-match sales are similar to the Solihull game and I would not be surprised to see another 1,000 plus following.

A draw will be enough to guarantee us a White Christmas and I would gladly take it. Anything more would be a massive bonus at the end of another positive week for the club.

Prediction: too close to call.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If Haseeb Hameed can play cricket with a broken finger, couldn't Cookie manage this game before taking the festive period off? I do think it's a significant loss as it restricts our attacking options with Norwood and Mangan being very different types of players, quality though they both are. Andy Mangan probably isn't match fit enough to last the full game either. There are other injury doubts, as no mention as to whether Ridehalgh and Maynard, who were scheduled to resume training at the start of the week will be fit.

While the line-up RLC suggests is a strong one, I'm unsure given his previous approach of limiting changes, that Micky would make so many for such a crucial game. If Ridehalgh is fit, it is a no-brainer that he replaces the out of position Ihiekwe at left-back. I don't think both Maynard and Wallace will start. While the attractions of Wallace getting a first start since returning are evident, a fit Maynard is likely to be preferred given his aerial strength.

It's unlikely that I'll be going, as my ticket seems to have gone awol in the post. Good to hear that there will be a decent turnout.

My view is also that a draw would be a good result, which we're well capable of. In terms of actual outcome, I'm sharing the fence with RLC.

drwhoman

To be fair to Andy it might be argued that cricket is a more static game and that provided the finger is well protected...? In soccer you never know when you might land on it and do more damage? As regards the team I would not be surprised if Steve Jennings starts if fit together with Maynard and Hughes in the middle. I would like to see Wallace but probably the last 30 might be best for him. Connor Jennings might also get on at some stage particularly if Tollitt needs to move out wide to get some space.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As Boz suggests I can't see MM making any changes unless they are absolutely necessary. I'll be surprised if Wallace starts as he hasn't started in much less competitive games we've had since he joined us. Although after this game I think he only has the 2 Macc fixtures before his loan expires - unless we're already planning to extend it to the end of the season.

Think he'll keep the diamond with Tollit at the centre despite it not working against York. If Maynard fit I'd rather have him in front of the back 4 allowing Hughes to play in the 2 behind Tollit, perhaps with Harris assuming the Jennings twins aren't quite ready and Wallace won't start. If Ridehalgh isn't fit I would be temped to put Hughes at LB but Ihikwe has done ok and along with Sutton, Big Mag and Maynard it does give us an aerial threat at set pieces which could be the difference, which is a shame Cookie isn't available (although if it was the play off final you'd like to think they would tape it up).

Too close to call this one but like others I'd take a draw.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Broken finger! Get him out there! Anyway what a game just before there Xmas break. I tend to agree that Maynard will probably feature alongside Harris with Wallace on the bench (I'm surprised he hasn't had more game time). Norwood and Mangan to feature up front. Sparky, I think Tollit will be given more room than he did against York so won't be as suppressed.

Very tough, close game to call, but the way we have been playing, and the form we are in I have a feeling we may just nick it by a goal.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I won't be there, but strangely my brother who lives in Australia will be. He's staying with an Imps fan for a few days and will probably sit silently with his mate, so the official SWA count tomorrow will be one short!

I expect both sides to play for a win, at least initially, so it's likely Micky will start with a diamond formation and only change if it doesn't work.

No team has claimed the league double over us since we dropped into the NL, but a defeat will end that proud record. However, including the FA Cup tie we lost twice last season to Lincoln City and three times out of five games over the past eighteen months. Arguably, they are our biggest rivals for the championship (and indeed the FA Trophy). It's a definite "six-pointer" but not a "must win", although a win for either side would give them a points cushion and a psychological lift for a few games going into the festive season.

I'd take a draw now, but a win would match our best results in recent years including the victories at Cheltenham and FGR last season. I agree it's too close to call and wouldn't put any of my own money on it, but if pressed I'd predict a low-scoring draw.

Last edited:

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
We survived a first half blitz from FGR and I think we'll need to do the same again tomorrow.
A win would put the rest of season solely in our own hands. Great position to be in.
Who'd be a manager of our squad at moment?
Selection was hard enough without the two Jennos now knocking on the door.
Looks like it'll be great SWA turnout, as usual.
Proverbial twelfth man.
Can't go but all sorted for Maccs on new year's day.

Player
Manager
John King
Team is as expected really, hughes, Harris, Maynard and tollitt in midfield, mangan and norwood up front.

Player
Manager
John King
Bench seems a bit negative. No c Jennings or Dawson, Kirby the only attacking player. Seventeen chosen seems a bit cautious, let is hope it works out.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree re the bench. Connor rather than Steve Jennings would have given us more options

Player
Manager
John King
After a poor start we have been by far the better team, playing the better football. Hope we can keep it up. Awesome rovers turnout, well over 1,000.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A bit surprised at Lincoln's negative approach after they took the early lead and had us on the ropes. Good to convert a penalty again. Hope we can maintain the form of the last twenty minutes into the second half, long way to go yet.

Player
Manager
John King
Absolutely gutted, we did not deserve that. Second half was more end to end but I still thought we were the better team. We had chances at one all and did not take them and got punished. We have to start scoring more goals.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Gutted.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I wasn't there but assumed both Connor J and Dawson were missing for fitness reasons. MM rates Kirby and we know he is a hard worker but if you need to score he isn't ideal. He can't beat an egg.

Could have done with cook as mangan altho won the penalty hasn't been scoring much.

I'm starting to think what is the point of Wallace. Harris has done well of late but if fit, Wallace is clearly the better player (same with Maynard), and should play.

If he's not right to start games now will he ever be? Sounds like we played ok but the quality Wallace brings could have made a difference,

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Deserved something from that. Keeper error maybe contributed to their winner. As a draw wouldn't have been bad for us, did wonder if we ought to have closed things down a bit. More when I'm home

Player
Manager
John King
I am not sure sparkys comments are fair to be honest. The tactics were fine and Kirby played well, we just did not take our chances and we had three or four good ones in the second half. We were the better side - a lot better than ok - with Lincoln relying on rheads height and set plays. They look very one dimensional, although it obviously works for them.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Appreciate what you say RLC as you were there and I wasn't.

I still wonder about whether Wallace must be ready by now. Although to be fair to MM we have been winning without him. Perhaps he'll feature on Boxing Day.

Kirby away from home makes send to a degree coz of his work rate. Lack of recent goals still a worry tho.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree about the goalscoring and the midfield need to weigh in much more when the strikers don't score. I think Mellon probably planned to use Wallace but hughes and Maynard were playing so well he did not want to disrupt things.

Kelti5

Player
Pat Nevin
We gradually took control of the game right up to when they scored. I felt MM had got it right, we looked the more dangerous going forward and it could so easily have gone our way. Disappointed to come away with nothing, we were better than them