• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Hello There

• Thread starter Maccabi For Life
  • Start date
M

Maccabi For Life

I want to Ask you what do you think about Calvin Zola? He's a Good Player?

DixieDean

Calvin is a busy player who always causes our opponents problems. He has improved alot since coming to Tranmere and seems to have much more strength and tactical awareness. His only weakness is that he is a bit erratic in front of goal and does not score as many as he should. If he did improve that part of his game he would be an excellent player.

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

I agree with Dixie here, he has improved alot and he looks sharp over the pre-season. It looks like hes been working hard over the summer but I still dont feel he is going to score more than 10 goals for us but you never know he might prove me wrong like.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
His touch has improved tremendously. Despite coming to us from Newcastle's academy he often looked like he didn't quite know what to do with any ball that came towards him. He is still getting stick from some Tranmere fans for his occasional inability to control the ball, but there's no doubt that he has got a little better at it.

I'd agree that his shooting is erratic, but he does seem to know where the goal is, it's just a matter of getting the execution right.. and here I come to what I see as the biggest problem with Calvin - his speed of thought.

Perhaps he doesn't concentrate too well, or perhaps he can't think ahead - but whatever the reason he seems to have a very very slow reaction speed. He can run fast, but by the time he's realised it's time to run, and then started to run, the race is lost. If the first 5 feet are all in your head as was often said of Teddy Sheringham, then unfortunately Calvin is 10 feet behind a lot of the time.

And this lack of quickness of thought rubs off - or so I believe - on his shooting, the time it takes him to decide to pass or to shoot is a fraction too long and sometimes that's the difference between a free shot and being closed down. So often a first time shot or first time pass is extremely obvious and yet he'll take a touch or two to get his bearings and you can almost hear the cogs turning in his head as he decides what to do.

On a slightly more positive note, the training he's getting from Breckin and Moore does seem to be having excellent effects on Calvin, perhaps as he's drilled where to stand, where to be, and where to run, he is gaining a better understanding of the game, his movement and the movements of others. Calvin does cause some defenders trouble, due to his height and deceptive speed, as well as the odd touch that goes somewhere nobody (including Calvin) expects - but when being dealt with by a centre back that is as big and strong as him and with more experience he will fail to make an impression on a game.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I agree I think he could turn into a very good player if he improved his finishing and attacking instinct!

DixieDean

Hey Maccabi for like,

I've just had a thought.... you aren't CALVIN are you?

:-D :wink:

Player
Johnny Morrissey
If you are Calvin, well done on getting those 2 oldhm lads sent off today! Some good play and got them frustrated!:lol: