• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Heed v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rovers make the trip to the North East for a game that was always going to a big one, but now takes on extra importance to see how we bounce back from the hammering we got last night. A win (or a point given the players missing), would be a good result ahead of another tricky away game on Tuesday at Macclesfield. A defeat will see many think the cup defeat has upset the recent momentum we had built up and you then start worrying about confidence.

The heed are managed by ex Newcastle & Everton defender Steve Watson who I remember being beaten in the air by a certain Steve Yates scoring the first goal at Goodison Park many years ago. Lying 2 places and 2 points below us, recent results have been decent. Watson’s tenure started with a 3-2 defeat at Eastleigh but they have since won 2-0 at Orient, drew 0-0 at home to Dover and won comfortably 3-0 at Maidenhead, as well as an FA Cup win. Ex rover loannee Danny Johnson is still scoring goals and has 6 this season with dangerous winger Wes York currently warming the bench.

As for rovers, down to the bare bones in midfield means MM has major decisions to make. With Mangan & Rokka out on loan, wouldn’t surprise me to see a centre mid come in on a short term deal. I don’t think Larnell Cole is either able to play 90 mins and isn’t a realistic option in the middle. Norburn has a muscle injury and may be available but given the players missing, MM may go back to 4-4-2. Gumbs available and some SWA thinking Pilling deserves a chance. Will Buxton come back in and could he play in a defensive centre mid role?

I really hope Cook comes back in as Gerry never looks like scoring and appears a very poor version of Cole Stockton. McEveley as we know is prone to an error but may keep his place purely because we don’t have enough fit players.

However 4-4-2 could be something like:

Davies

Sutton Big Mac Gumbs Rides

DMH Buxton Norburn Cole

Cook Norwood

Prediction: a score draw.

drwhoman

Interesting team but how about a run for Drysdale who people seem to rate? A short term midfield loanee might also be needed/possible with Mangan going for a month.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Interesting point from Sparky about the goalkeeper. My thoughts exactly. Davies got criticised on BT for the last three goals. It was a little unfair, but I think his judgement was flawed. Scott has had a good season up to now and I think having Luke breathing down his neck has contributed. If Pilling is ever to play on merit then maybe he now deserves his chance. However, it would be a brave move handing the gloves to Luke for such a pivotal game.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Interesting team but how about a run for Drysdale who people seem to rate? A short term midfield loanee might also be needed/possible with Mangan going for a month.
Drysdale is basically a central defender. I'd prefer Gumbs in a makeshift midfield role.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It would be wrong to drop Davies based solely on last night's performance. A defeat to a team more than two divisions higher is about as meaningful as Peterborough losing to Man United in terms of our league campaign. We were outclassed and the defence could not cope collectively. Push it to one side and move on.

I like the team listed by Sparky above, save that I don't think Buxton is mobile enough to play in midfield. If we could bring another body in, however, that would be a decent line up.

With a really tough game coming up on Tuesday night, against opposition we generally struggle against, we really need to win this game, even with a depleted side. It is strange, as we were in almost exactly the same position for a home game against Gateshead twelve months ago when we fielded a team of kids and lost. By contrast, our two previous visits to the International Stadium have seen two solid performances and two victories.

Prediction: difficult to know how we will fare until we have a better idea of the starting line-up, but I think a good Rovers following of 4-500 will be present.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Having now seen the main action from the Peterborough game, it is clear that there were a number of defensive issues, some very slack marking from Sutton as well as the more obvious suspects. Our opponents were more clinical than NL sides in finishing, hence the extent of the losing margin, but give away chances of a similar type on Saturday and we will concede.

Given the mayhem in midfield, I don't think now is the time to be making major changes at the back, though there may need to be some shuffling of the pack to move those defenders,also capable of playing in the middle, up the park. If we play 442, I would keep Buxton at the back. There is an option to move Ridehalgh up to wide left and play Clarke at left-back. Is McEveley any more mobile than Buxton and capable of playing central midfield, where he can cause less harm? I agree with Sparky that Cole wouldn't work in the middle and he's still short of match fitness. It didn't sound from MMs pre-match comments that any loan signings are imminent, so it will be interesting to see how we try to paper over the cracks.

Prediction: First time we've visited Gateshead on a Saturday, so expecting a decent turnout, towards the upper end of RLCs suggested travelling support. My first away game this season. However, with the absentees, my fear is the hosts will win comfortably and put us on the back foot ahead of the trip to the Moss Rose.

Player
Manager
John King
Thinking about it, Evan Gumbs has been playing as a defensive midfielder at Warrington and could be deployed there on Saturday.

Player
aldo
Realy happy the fans who throwing the bottles have been arrested and banded from trfc . There is no need . My little girl was asking wye are they doing it. Just said that the players needed a drink .

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I don't have a good feeling about this. A draw would be a relief. A win would be heroic under the circumstances.

Player
aldo
Noors could drop deeper in midfield cole can play there to . Then henry and green on flanks with cookie an the lump up front . Wouldint even have jay mon bench should have contract cancelled he is useless . Still positive going for 2.0 win cook with both . His family an freinds in the stands will wont to show wat he can do

Player
Manager
John King
Norburn and banks start. Looks like 532 with cole also in midfield. Better line up than expected.

M

Mal

funny how the word "loan" in football now means "to take on loan" and "to loan" ;0)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Banks has a fairly extensive list of clubs on his cv, currently at Oldham, so should have the experience to cope with this situation. As RLC says, with Norburn available a stronger line up than feared.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah. We should fare OK here.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
funny how the word "loan" in football now means "to take on loan" and "to loan" ;0)
Good point. It should be "borrow". And the opposite word is "lend". "Loan" is really a noun not a verb.

Sorry, couldn't help it. ;-)

Player
Manager
John King
A bit lacklustre so far. We look jaded after Wednesday night. However, we should be one up through cole, who has done OK.