• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Harrogate v Rovers

Match result

• Harrogate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Rovers

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Harrogate v Rovers
Posted by Ian
EnviroVent Stadium
Tuesday, October 19, 2021 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We don’t seem as assured defensively as usual.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we have to give some credit to Harrogate. They drive forward well and cause defense problems. Turned into a good open game now.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes agreed. Davies has looked a bit shaky but as Ian says, credit to Harrogate who are dangerous as their league position shows

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mcmanaman hits the bar when it was easier to score

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Macca hits the bar! Ohhh, good spell by Rovers.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
A decent point in the end against a good Harrogate side although we probably should have won it in the last 10 mins when they tired and we had the Macca chance and a few decent balls in the box which we didn't take advantage off. Can't be too unhappy with a point though. The unbeaten streak continues.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree, Ian. Yes, we’ve dropped a place to fifth but can take comfort that we’ve drawn away at the four teams above us. Fortunately, all our rivals also drew, except for Swindon winning at Sutton. Looking at it like that, I’m happy.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Would have taken a point before kick off. An open and entertaining game. Rovers the better side in the first half with the second more even. Hopefully hawkes injury isn’t serious as with Walker AWOL that just leaves Feeney and mcmanaman as wide men, the latter I’m still not convinced about.
Still think we desperately need another central striker option who can play the lone role.
On to Saturday when it’ll be 5th v 6th when we host Paul Lewis’ Northampton.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In the end, grateful for the point. Rovers had the better chances and Mcmanaman might have redeemed a below par performances had he converted his chance in the 80s rather than hitting the woodwork. However the hosts had opportunities of their own and were able to create difficulty with long balls into the corner, which were then run onto and put into our box. They were a difficult opponent, although on tonight's showing, a little surprised that they're sitting so high in the table.
Micky didn't appear to make any tactical adjustments during the game and aside from the enforced change of Feeney for Hawkes, didn't resort to any subs, so he was presumably satisfied with the way the game was going.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was another good display and probably a fair result on the balance of play. However, there is no question we had the better chances, including Hawkes effort which was cleared off the line in the first half and MacManaman's effort against the bar near the end.

In the second half Harrogate stretched us defensively more than the majority of sides have, but other than their second goal they did not have a genuine chance in open play, and the defence again restricted them to relatively slim pickings. Despite the slight error by Davies for the penalty, I thought he and Clarke were fantastic.

I thought Morris and Hawkes both had good games, but Cogley was outstanding and probably man of the match. Nevitt led the line very well despite taking an absolute battering and receiving no protection from the referee. There are a few harsh comments above about MacManaman. Yes, it was a below par performance tonight, but he has been a significant figure in our good run and has played well.

On to another tough but winnable game at fortress Prenton Park on Saturday.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Re mcmanaman. Perhaps I’m expecting more of him with his pedigree and of course wingers will be in and out of games.
Agree about cogley as MOM.

Player
aldo
you can see we are going to batter someone soon if we keep getting chances like last night shame we could not finish them off but another good point and we have played all the top teams after Saturday so I am not complaining

ADD

Player
Norwood
Good game of football as mentioned above. Probably a fair result as well. Harrogate having the confidence to push players forward and press us much higher up the pitch was why I think we struggled a bit last night. Teams will work us out and they did a good number on us I felt without ever really hitting the heights apart from that 10 minute spell at the end of the first half when they were on top.
Slightly surprised we didn't make any changes aside from the injury enforced one to Hawkes - thought MM would have been tempted to freshen things up with.
I am happy enough with what is a decent point ultimately although disappointed Mcmanaman missed that easy chance when he hit the top of the bar.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
we have played all the top teams after Saturday so I am not complaining
At least we know generally what the best of this division has to offer. Whilst Harrogate were good on the attack, I thought they were fairly weak in defence and there were moments in the game when there were big gaps in their defence, we just did not have the bodies in the box to capitalise.

If we can manage a few more goals, we should do very well this season, but there is always that element of doubt whether we have enough goals in the team to really kill off the opposition.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A few thoughts on recent posts.

Macmanaman wasn't as involved or influential as in recent games. Marks out of ten would probably be 5, where the par is a 6, he didn't have a stinker by any stretch.

Nevitt was often far too isolated and won the ball, but didn't have an out ball or flicked on headers but nobody else following up. While all the midfielders would have a role in backing him up, Foley in particular should have got closer. However, after the early effort cleared off the line, Sam seemed less involved than usual.

I agree with ADD, my expectation was also Micky would make more changes to freshen things up. However, the fact that we finished the game the stronger suggests maybe leaving things alone was the right choice?

While it was a fair outcome, can't decide if the draw was a good result or not. On the balance of play, we deserved at least a point, but given we're playing catch up following our slow start, would have liked a win. How significant those dropped points will be, only time will tell.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A few thoughts on recent posts.

Macmanaman wasn't as involved or influential as in recent games. Marks out of ten would probably be 5, where the par is a 6, he didn't have a stinker by any stretch.

Nevitt was often far too isolated and won the ball, but didn't have an out ball or flicked on headers but nobody else following up. While all the midfielders would have a role in backing him up, Foley in particular should have got closer. However, after the early effort cleared off the line, Sam seemed less involved than usual.

I agree with ADD, my expectation was also Micky would make more changes to freshen things up. However, the fact that we finished the game the stronger suggests maybe leaving things alone was the right choice?

While it was a fair outcome, can't decide if the draw was a good result or not. On the balance of play, we deserved at least a point, but given we're playing catch up following our slow start, would have liked a win. How significant those dropped points will be, only time will tell.
I understand, Boz. We could have easily won, but with worse luck/play we could have lost. There are always a lot of these games every season. Winning them or salvaging a point is what makes the difference between promotion and being an also ran. Personally, I think a draw on a rival’s ground is worth celebrating.

Reactions: Ian

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I understand, Boz. We could have easily won, but with worse luck/play we could have lost. There are always a lot of these games every season. Winning them or salvaging a point is what makes the difference between promotion and being an also ran.
I think it was a good point and important not to lose to another team near the top of the table. We just need to keep picking up points and come January I think there will be a few ins and outs which will end up improving the squad