• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

GUARDIAN LEAGUE TWO SEASON PREVIEW

drwhoman

I tend to be a little jaundiced when the Guardian comments on L2 given that it rarely gives coverage and I wonder about the depth of their knowledge. However, it is an interesting read. Rovers do not get much of a mention only that we need a striker! I am sure we would all agree on that! It is possibly stating the obvious but I cannot see us being close to promotion unless we get a regular goalscorer in the Vaughan or Norwood class. As for the Guardian's picks for promotion we can but wait and see!

ttps://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/02/league-two-2021-22-season-preview

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks @drwhoman for the link. I think every team needs a goalscorer. We might be able to limp by for the first few games but let’s hope we get someone decent in. It will make or break our season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I tend to be a little jaundiced when the Guardian comments on L2 given that it rarely gives coverage and I wonder about the depth of their knowledge. However, it is an interesting read. Rovers do not get much of a mention only that we need a striker! I am sure we would all agree on that! It is possibly stating the obvious but I cannot see us being close to promotion unless we get a regular goalscorer in the Vaughan or Norwood class. As for the Guardian's picks for promotion we can but wait and see!

ttps://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/02/league-two-2021-22-season-preview
I would take that preview and most of the others in the national press, with a large pinch of salt. There are posters on here that know more about the lower divisions than those journalists.

To say we cannot come close to promotion is overboard. We have one of the strongest squads in the division, the best manager, and our recruitment is not yet complete.

If you survey other League Two supporter sites, many have us as one of the promotion favourites.

drwhoman

I would take that preview and most of the others in the national press, with a large pinch of salt. There are posters on here that know more about the lower divisions than those journalists.

To say we cannot come close to promotion is overboard. We have one of the strongest squads in the division, the best manager, and our recruitment is not yet complete.

If you survey other League Two supporter sites, many have us as one of the promotion favourites.
I do not disagree RLC and, as you say, one or two signings in the near future might completely change the picture. However, in their absence, having a decent defence and midfield will not be enough. As our blog comments on the Walsall game show, no one is expecting more than the odd goal result, either for or against. Let us hope we are all wrong. A hat trick for Mani?!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We need another striker, but it does not need to be somebody as prolific as Norwood was in 2018-19. We can get goals from other areas with this squad.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’ve seen a variety of pre-season articles like this and they range from suggesting Rovers will go up automatically to mid-table.

This season is a hard one to call. I don’t think there are any stand out sides so think it will be teams that have proven managers like us that will do best. As well as missing the striker there are some areas still lacking depth in the squad. See what happens in the coming days and weeks; my instinct is the current squad is a top 7 one, but with decent recruiting and loaning could easily become top 3.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks for the article, drwhoman. I agree with RLC that many of us could have produced a more informed one. Not to mention the return of one of Micky Mellon, one of the most successful managers at this level, is an amazing omission. Given that the transfer window has a few weeks to run, the article is premature. We have at least as good a squad as last season (apart from Vaughan) and an unrecognisably better manager. We will certainly improve our strike force this month. It's inconceivable we won't be challenging for promotion.

drwhoman

Fair comment BBTC. I think the article is a pre-season paper filler. Yesterday L1 was covered and I imagine maybe today the Championship. At the same time they are running through the PL clubs individually. Still interesting all the same even if it could be argued that the article is a month early.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Impossible to know for sure - Morecambe were probably never mentioned as likely to go up last season...
I also think the squad is definitely stronger than last season aside from obviously no Vaughan replacement. MM will also do much better blending them together than Jackson and Hill.
Above that depends on the striker situation being resolved satisfactorily obviously and likely 2 or 3 other new players bringing genuine competition/ strength in depth. Finally we need luck with injuries as is always the case. As of now personally I would also go for at least top 7...