• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Grecians v Rovers

Match result

• Exeter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Grecians v Rovers
Posted by Ian
St James Park
Saturday, December 12, 2020 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, December 12, 2020 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What certainly can be said for Davies is that he cares about results and performances and gives maximum effort, which is something that is not true of a number of other members of this fickle squad.
Very true. I was watching him during the Walsall game as I was sitting just behind the goal so had a much closer view than normal and didn’t realise how vocal he was. He never stopped shouting all game! I don’t think we can question his attitude, but his ability certainly has limits.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I can remember Davies saving penalties but seems to have lost the knack. Murphy looks capable of going on a few more seasons, if that's what he wants.

Along with Davies, I'd put Clarke and Vaughan into the ones who seem to care, possibly Lloyd but less sure about who goes into RLCs fickle category. While Monthe seemed to have given up for the Exeter 5th, can't recall him being particularly demonstrative when we win, could be he's one who keeps emotions under wraps or totally indifferent.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I can remember Davies saving penalties but seems to have lost the knack. Murphy looks capable of going on a few more seasons, if that's what he wants.

Along with Davies, I'd put Clarke and Vaughan into the ones who seem to care, possibly Lloyd but less sure about who goes into RLCs fickle category. While Monthe seemed to have given up for the Exeter 5th, can't recall him being particularly demonstrative when we win, could be he's one who keeps emotions under wraps or totally indifferent.
I could not tell you who those individuals are, but I am sure there is something not right in the dressing room this season why you consider how wildly performances have fluctuated under different managers. Whether that is players simply refusing to obey the manager or a lack of character and spirit in the squad, I don't know.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
They played for Dawes and Parky though. Think Mike Jackson's over-cautious style didn't sit well with some players and there was talk of Keith Hill losing the dressing room at notlob. It will be interesting to see how Keith and the players respond on Tuesday

Player
Manager
John King
They played for Dawes and Parky though. Think Mike Jackson's over-cautious style didn't sit well with some players and there was talk of Keith Hill losing the dressing room at notlob. It will be interesting to see how Keith and the players respond on Tuesday
But it is highly unusual that they have not performed for two managers with vastly different styles within the space of a few weeks. That suggests to me there is something wrong in the dynamic of the group.

If they won't play for Hill when he has barely got his feet under his desk, that reflects worse on the players than it does Hill in my view. You can't go on scapegoating managers forever.

Perhaps senior players held more sway under Dawes which is why they were prepared to play for their 'buddy' ?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
But it is highly unusual that they have not performed for two managers with vastly different styles within the space of a few weeks. That suggests to me there is something wrong in the dynamic of the group.

If they won't play for Hill when he has barely got his feet under his desk, that reflects worse on the players than it does Hill in my view. You can't go on scapegoating managers forever.

Perhaps senior players held more sway under Dawes which is why they were prepared to play for their 'buddy' ?
The reality is that neither of us know or are ever likely to find out.

We've shown that we can dominate games by taking a grip of midfield (Cambridge) and even win them (Carlisle) under the two different managers with vastly different styles. Arguably we lost the Walsall game because we were out-fought in key areas across the park, but we didn't give up and kept battling. Haven't seen enough of the Exeter game, but the impression from posts on here and the brief highlights suggests we didn't seem to be trying at all.

If Dawes/Parkinson were less in control with the senior players being influential, which you moot as a possibility, then given results suggest that was working, if Mark was aware, arguably he should have stuck with that rather than gone with an experienced manager.

Once Adkins was out of the picture, if we were to go down the experienced manager route, then Hill seemed as good as any realistic option. Can't really tell from their forum, why he was so unloved at notlob. I don't think anyone's got the stomach for another change of manager now and we should have enough to keep out of relegation danger, but it's going to be quite a challenge getting a side playing as badly as we did yesterday promoted.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I totally agree with RCL that there appears to be something radically wrong in the dressing room and it is beginning to look like a power struggle between, presumably, the senior players and the manager, whether that be Jackson previously or Hill now. If this the case it certainly wont be an easy problem to fix, but let's hope common sense prevails and some semblance of order is restored. Tuesday's game now takes on a whole new dimension in determining the manner in which the squad and the manager react. If 16 players can't perform in a professional manner and show some pride and determination in getting a result for the club then we are in serious, serious trouble.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If 16 players can't perform in a professional manner and show some pride and determination in getting a result for the club then we are in serious, serious trouble.
We know they can, this is the annoying thing as they were pretty much faultless under Dawes/Parky.

It is no coincidence that we have been pretty poor either side of this in my view. The players need to wise up and grow up.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If there is unrest in the dressing room, I expect Mark to back Keith and the culprits to leave in January. However, this is all speculation. If results soon improve, the last two results will be forgotten.

Player
Manager
John King
I was not really suggesting it was anything as overt as players openly challenging the manager. More a case of players not pulling their weight when the going gets difficult, as it did yesterday.

Player
ian goodison
I've never known any chairman back a manager over players before, I worked for 50yrs and never got on with some managers but at the end of the day did my job and got on with it, the words player power/lost the dressing room for Christ's sake its Tranmere not real madrid.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
But this is football @keep the faith
I would not compare it to real life at all.

How do we explain the complete lack of form/desire whatever you want to call it either side of the Dawes/Parky era? You can't go from winning 8 in a row or whatever it was, hardly conceding a goal in this period to being completely outplayed and losing 5-0! I don't believe these Jackyl and Hyde performances are stemming completely from the management team. The players need to have a good look at themselves. Saturday's performace was terrible, there is no excuse for that whoever is in charge.

ADD

Player
Norwood
But this is football @keep the faith
I would not compare it to real life at all.

How do we explain the complete lack of form/desire whatever you want to call it either side of the Dawes/Parky era? You can't go from winning 8 in a row or whatever it was, hardly conceding a goal in this period to being completely outplayed and losing 5-0! I don't believe these Jackyl and Hyde performances are stemming completely from the management team. The players need to have a good look at themselves. Saturday's performace was terrible, there is no excuse for that whoever is in charge.
Agreed Ian... and explains why I and others have suggested something must be off in the dressing room.
You can be unlucky, you can lose games, you can have dips in form but there is absolutely no explanation I can come up with for the way we have veered from looking excellent to looking like a poor pub team since Jackson left other than that. I mean even Tuesday we were good against a decent City youth team after an awful performance on the Saturday. Before Jackson went we can put it down to the tactics but this Saturday this was about players simply not being up for it in the majority of cases. Exeter simply found it so easy it was a joke.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Exeter currently losing home to Harrogate yet we made them look like world beaters.

Player
Manager
John King
Bolton also got a last minute winner at Cheltenham, to leapfrog us and go into Saturday's game on a high. In a sense, it is a good result, as it limits the gap to the automatic places to nine points, if we still harbour ambitions of finishing that high.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Bolton also got a last minute winner at Cheltenham, to leapfrog us and go into Saturday's game on a high. In a sense, it is a good result, as it limits the gap to the automatic places to nine points, if we still harbour ambitions of finishing that high.
I cant see us getting close to the automatic positions

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We also made Cheltenham look world-beaters yet they fall at home to notlob. We're still closer to the automatics than the relegation places :)