• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Grecians v Rovers

Match result

• Exeter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Grecians v Rovers
Posted by Ian
St James Park
Saturday, December 12, 2020 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, December 12, 2020 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It is difficult to know what to think after that. I certainly didn't expect such a hammering and it seems like the players have a lot to answer for. As I said when the line-ups were announced, would have opted for Lewis over Khan as he is capable of getting a challenge in, whereas Otis is a bit lightweight in that area. However, agree with RLC that don't think it would have been the game-changer. Although being without Vaughan was a blow, it didn't sound like we created much anyway. Wait to hear the manager's thoughts, but I do think that significant changes need to be made for the next game.

Player
aldo
let,s hope the attacking exciting football we want returns soon where has that team who battered Grimsby gone

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Will be interesting what Hill says. Although I doubt he’ll be grilled by whoever is interviewing him. Big questions must be asked after a result and performance like that

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Will be interesting what Hill says. Although I doubt he’ll be grilled by whoever is interviewing him
It's Derek Jones..

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Worryingly Vaughan has tendonitis, will know by Tuesday how long he be out, if it's any more than few games we will struggle to score.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Worryingly Vaughan has tendonitis, will know by Tuesday how long he be out, if it's any more than few games we will struggle to score.
I am not sure that is necessarily true. We have got other goal threats, but the performance level of the whole team needs to be a thousand times better than it was today, and on several other occasions this season.

I thought Woolery was one player that actually did ok today, despite receiving absolutely zero service. Ferrier did nothing when he came on.

Player
Manager
John King
The next leading scorer has 3 goals.
We have spread the goals around a fair bit (Woolery, Morris, Kahn, Lloyd, Lewis and Clarke have all scored) and we played ten games under Jackson where we barely created a chance due to tactics, not because we don't have creative players.

drwhoman

Very disappointing. 1-8 in the last two league games. Maybe bringing in an ‘experienced’ Manager was not such a good idea? Time will tell and, of course, I hope he succeeds. However, this player group seems to play as it suits them. They have very experienced players in key positions so you really do wonder what is going on. Anyway, have to beat Stevenage now and hopefully decisively even without Vaughan. I am never sure that shouting at people works and Hill has to turn it round. It will have been a very quiet trip back from the West Country!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
All of the attacking midfielders will chip in but I’ve said previously that our front man options are not enough. Only Vaughan is capable of scoring regularly at this level and he has had injuries in the past and has them now. We’ve too many players eg Lloyd, Woolery, Morris, Feeney and others who are similar and we’re overloaded with midfielders and not enough decent front men. I’m sure we probably don’t have the cash to bring in a decent front man but arguably we’ve spent too much in other areas

Player
Manager
John King
As I have said previously though, the majority of clubs at this level will have one prolific striker and other forwards who are makeweights (eg. Richards at Cheltenham, Doyle at Bolton, Bowman at Exeter). With the current financial constraints and budget limits, we are not realistically going to have two strikers of Vaughan's quality.

Woolery is actually a striker, albeit one that operates in a front three, and our midfielders actually offer more of a goal threat than the average League Two midfield.

I actually think Payne would offer more at this level than Ferrier when he is fit.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ugh, seen their goals and we made it so easy for Exeter.

I agree with RLC and Sparky that we are capable of getting goals from across the park, whereas in the last L2 promotion side, we were more dependent on just Norwood and Jennings. I actually think Woolery has been one of our better attacking players so far. If Vaughan is out, prefer sticking with Kayne, though think we need to look at having Smith and Burton as options on the bench for home games.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If we play well, we’ll score goals around the team. If we play like we did today, you could have Ronaldo up front and we still wouldn’t score.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not sure Woolery is a striker who will ever score enough . Think the most he’s scored in a season is 5 and his career has generally been as a wide man like when he destroyed us at Wembley.

but yes I agree we can’t expect another top league 2 striker in the building. Unless we were able to release funds by getting rid of someone

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
If we play well, we’ll score goals around the team. If we play like we did today, you could have Ronaldo up front and we still wouldn’t score.

Yes I agree and as much as I go on about strikers, that wasn’t the problem today. Defensively we were shambolic epitomised by mannys quick walk back when they got the 5th. Lots of unfair criticism for Scottie on social media - I didn’t think he could be blamed for any goals today.

Player
Manager
John King
I am not one of the anti Davies brigade, but I thought he could have done better with the penalty today, and penalties generally. He makes the striker's decision too easy.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We need a reaction now on Tuesday. The last two league games have not been great at all.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Yes I agree and as much as I go on about strikers, that wasn’t the problem today. Defensively we were shambolic epitomised by mannys quick walk back when they got the 5th. Lots of unfair criticism for Scottie on social media - I didn’t think he could be blamed for any goals today.
Davies has been part of the problem certainly on many occasions when we struggle as he simply cannot boss his area and that sows doubt in all the defenders but I agree it wasn't anything to do with him yesterday though he might save the odd penalty if he actually dived one way or the other rather than kneeling down in the middle of the goal.
Personally I would pick Murphy over Davies but I don't for one minute think Hill will as Davies seems to be undroppable.

Player
Manager
John King
I think the issue is the relative ages of Murphy and Davies. If Murphy was 31 then he would be the regular keeper, but then if he was that age he would not even be here, as he is a Championship / League One player in ability.

Murphy will almost certainly retire at the end of the season whereas Davies will be here in the medium term and is a central part of the squad, which is why several managers have preferred him.

What certainly can be said for Davies is that he cares about results and performances and gives maximum effort, which is something that is not true of a number of other members of this fickle squad.

Last edited: