• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

George Yardley

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
One of our all time greats, who sadly passed away this week.

Like most people on this site I never saw him play, but I am sure he will be suitably honoured by a minute's applause on Saturday.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sadly my time following Rovers coincided with the end of George's career, so only saw him play once. Definitely a Rovers legend.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I was fortunate to see George play many times, including the game at Gay Meadow when the Shrewsbury "defender"' Alf Wood kicked George so violently in the back that it subsequently cost him one of his kidneys. George's resultant hospitalisation meant he missed out on the 5th round FA Cup tie at Goodison a week later. Although George eventually recovered from this horrific injury and continued scoring goals for Rovers he was, arguably, but perhaps understandably, never quite the same again. Yardley was a fearless striker whose partnership up front with his namesake George Hudson was a strike team to behold. A minute's applause on Saturday would be an apt token of respect for a true Tranmere legend.

drwhoman

Very sad. George was a lethal goalscorer and a great successor to Manning and Dyson. As Frenchrover says he was never quite the same after his injury. We certainly missed him during the 2-0 loss to Everton when our attack, understandably, was very blunt. BTW, in another stream we were talking about how good Eric Nixon was. I agree but Jimmy Cumbes, from the 60s, who subsequently had a long career with Aston Villa on the old First Division, was a great keeper. The Flying Pig (Tommy Lawrence) and before him Harry Leyland were decent keepers but Jimmy was at the start of his career, young and athletic, whereas Tommy and Harry were at the end of theirs.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Definitely a Rovers great. I remember him well, particularly the four goals he scored at home to Shrewsbury one Friday night. He also missed a penalty, which surprisingly I think he took with his "wrong" foot.

He came to us on trial, having failed to impress at Luton. An interesting fact is that he also played league football as a goalkeeper, but not for Rovers.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Really sad news about the death of one of our greats George Yardley. Sincere condolences to his family.
I remember him well as yes a very brave player but also one with great intelligence. He was not the quickest but his first touch was excellent, as was his close control and special awareness. After the sale of Dyson & Manning that we have heard so lamented, there was actually a period of a real scoring drought and George proved an unlikely answer to our prayers. He always seemed to love the Rovers atmosphere and loyal support just as the fans really loved him and the connection palpable.
George was a real fans favourite cult hero at the time. Sometimes when we were under the cosh the pleading chants of the cowshed "give us a goal, give us a goal, George Yardley George Yardley" produced a positive response and this still resonates. He had the knack of finding the space, or turning his man in a flash and scoring in the blink of an eye. Like the great goal scorers we have had since like Muir & Aldo they could turn the game on its head by a moment of brilliance. George could score headed goals, from distance, place in the one on ones as well as the six yard box conversions.
Also whilst a tough competitor he was in many ways a real gent. George was a rare breed that would often go and fetch the ball and put it on the spot for a goal kick, or help up his adversaries to their feet and for us as young teenage fans he always had time for a word.
Last time I saw him seems like yesterday when he looked so well in the ex players VIP group after the reopening of PP when it became a revamped all seater stadium. Thanks for the memories - Rest in Peace George!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A brilliant tribute, Brightonian. I wish I could give you a double like. You are so right about his skill and his sportsmanship. I had forgotten that chant. It often worked and I must have last heard nearly 50 years ago!

drwhoman

Great tribute Brightonian.George was a true club legend. There was always a air of excitement when he got the ball. Something good is going to happen!