• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Franchise v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A trip to one of the pre-season favourites on Saturday, as we take on MK Dons. I don't know a great deal about MK's squad, but there are some familiar names like Chuks Aneke and Kieran Agaard up front, ex-Macc midfielder Mitch Hancox (he of the You Tube videos) and Dean Lewington in defence, who seems to have been there forever. Their new manager Paul Tisdale is a footballing purist, so this will be a very different game in style to the Newport match.

As for ourselves, Micky has a few selection dilemmas. Caprice is fit again, but I would probably prefer us to stick with Buxton in a match away from home where we are bound to be under a fair amount of pressure. I think Stockton will replace Mullin up front, and I hope Smith also starts ahead of DMH.

Our record at the soulless Stadium MK is appalling, but I did see a victory on our last visit, Ryan Lowe scoring a last minute winner.

There is a lot of interest in this game from Rovers fans and I would expect another healthy following of 7-800. A draw would be a very good result; in fact, two points from the next two matches would be a good return.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Like RLC, I don't know much about MKDs current squad, while it will be interesting to see how well Tisdale uses a decent budget, having operated on a shoe-string at Exeter. Expect Micky to make just the one change, Stockton for Mullin. I agree that Buxton's defensive reliability will get him a start ahead of Caprice and while DMH has done little to merit a start, his greater stamina and defensive work, might get him the nod over Smith. Although how Connor Jennings is deployed should be considered, think we'll stick with the same formation for the next couple of games.

Fear the SWA will return home disappointed as we lose this one.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree. As much as I hate saying it, Stockton is best partnering Norwood up front as we need someone who can hold up the ball. Buxton is a far better defender than Caprice and should play for reasons mentioned by RLC.

A draw would be a good result such is our record there. I’d like to see a really solid performance with a good SWA following cheering the lads on.

I think this will be a real tough test and they lads have to be on the ball to come away with points.

2-2.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Not too many months ago we were two leagues apart, something we should remember when it comes to expectations.
We are proving we can hold our own but every game has been a tough one.
I'm with RLC and will gladly take a point from each of the next two games.
All I want from this season is to look down and see at least two teams closer to "the bin" than us!

Reactions: Ian

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I put my prediction on the wrong thread, think they will win 2 0

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Stockton and Smith recalled, Buxton keeps his place.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The undroppable Jennings keeps his place again

Player
Manager
John King
Pleased with the starting line up. I think we are right to play Jennings away from home in a tough game. Not the right match for Cole.

Player
aldo
What is goi g on we have Williams till jan and not even on the bench the lad from Italy who doesn't even get mentioned whats the point of bringing then in if not going to use them . Think its gonna be a tight game a sneaky 1-0

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Really good solid half by Rovers who have grown into the game. Great finish from Smith and MK Dons getting frustrated in front of the home crowd.
Ahh, 1-1. Davies makes a howler, misses the ball completely, easy finish into the net.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Last kick of the half. Not sure what Davies was doing there?!

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Gutted as we deserve to go in ahead. Sloppy first ten minutes but after that we were much the better side. A clear error by Davies for the equaliser. McCullough and Smith have been excellent.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
1-1 in the end. Both teams with chances, but although we gained a point, I'm a little bit disappointed as I feel we could have won it. Jennings really should have put that header away late on. As it is, it's a really good point away from home against one of the favorites for promotion. Defence really solid again with the back two of McNulty and Monthe putting up another brick wall display.

Player
Manager
John King
I think that is the best ninety minute performance we have put in for a while and I am disappointed we did not win. We look much better with Smith and Buxton in the side and Jennings was much better in the centre.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A decent result against one of the teams who will be in the mix at the tope of the table this season

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sounds like a good point, although perhaps could have been even better?
No game time for Mullin, presume switching to 1 up front when Gilmour came on. It seemed like Norwood was pretty drained at the end.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes a good point but like Colchester at home it’s 2 points dropped due to a Davies error.

I’m a massive fan of Scottie but that’s 2 major errors in in recent weeks and as we’re not free scoring it’s costing us

Player
Manager
John King
Davies played well overall and made several decent saves, so it would be unfair to single him out,

Aside from a sloppy first ten minutes where we gave the ball away too cheaply and did not get tight enough defensively, that was our best performance since the early weeks of the season. MK probably had more efforts on goal, the majority on the counter attack, but we largely controlled midfield and played the better football. All that was missing on occasions was a bit of care with the final ball, but even then we had a great chance at the death to win it with a close-range header from Jennings (hardly his strong point, in fairness).

It seemed to me that we played a 4-5-1 formation, with Norwood on the left wing in the first half and Stockton up front, with Nors later moving up front when Gilmour was brought into midfield. The tactic worked as we stifled a good passing side for the most part, and had a lot of good possession ourselves. Smith and Buxton also made a big difference to the performance in my view. They have got such good football brains it brings out the best in our other ball players, particularly Ollie Banks who had an excellent second half. Our passing was a lot better than it has been in recent weeks.

Elsewhere. I thought Norwood's movement was excellent but we did not quite find him with a final ball; Stockton did OK and was never too isolated; Gilmour looked really comfortable in a three-man midfield when he came on and was involved in several good attacks; DMH was really poor but did put in the cross for Jennings' chance; Connor looked much better playing in a central role. At the back, Macca and Monthe were really solid again. Man of the match for me was Big Mac, who read the game superbly and made several timely interventions, although Smith and Buxton in particular were also excellent.

A very positive performance and it is encouraging that MK looked no better than us over ninety minutes. A very tough game coming up on Tuesday, but then two matches where we can certainly pick up more points.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Seen the highlights. Why is Scott Davies wearing what looks like an outfield jersey?