• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Franchise v Rovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We've played 4 times at their current ground, with a 100% loss rate and not even scored a goal, so the omens are not good. Their form recently has been erratic; ending a bad run with a 3-0 thumping of league-topping Donny, following this up with a 0-0 in Sheffield, but then going down 2-3 to Shrewsbury thanks to an og from ex-Rover Anthony Kay.

Ronnie has intimated changes for this one, but hasn't got much room for manoeuvre. Gibson will be back, most likely and preferably in central defence, given doubts about Goodi. Expect Danny Holmes to carry the can for Tuesday and be replaced by Kay. Suggestions of Zoum being pushed forward, presumably means Black/Gibson at full-back and a chance of shifting Bell-Baggie to his better right side. In midfield, there is an argument for Danny Harrison to start, given how he helped stem the tide in the home game. Up front, Akpa Akpro has been sluggish and if Sidibe is fit an argument for leaving on the bench.

Prediction. Just can't see our fortunes changing here.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Our record at Stadium MK is appalling, but in all of the previous games we have started the match below them in the table, and certainly under Les, had a side that could not compete with them for footballing ability. Saturday is a bit different, as they appear to be even more of a 'powder puff' team than ourselves at the moment. Chadwick is out again and Gleeson has not been starting games for them since his injury, and I think this is definitely a game we can take points from.

I think the changes at full back and left midfield suggested above are likely, but I hope Ronnie is not tempted to play five in midfield. It is not our natural game and I don't think the answer to Akpro's current poor form is to leave him on the bench.

MK's play off hopes are all but over and hopefully we can finally put them out of their misery on Saturday.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In one of the games under Les we lost 1-0 and had what even the ref conceded on reflection should have been a penalty denied. Gleeson is fit again, scored a good goal in their 3-0 over Donny, but currently kept out of their starting line-up by loanee Chris Lines. While I don't think past form is the determinant, both sides are in patchy form currently.

JLAA has been consistently indifferent since coming back from his 3-game ban and one of our most out of form players, why should he automatically start? If we're playing 2 up front, I would go with Sidibe and O'Halloran. I have reservations about Zoum, who's form has also dipped being pushed forward, as he's made most impact in an attacking sense coming from deep. I don't really like a 5-man midfield either, but think even if we go with four Harrison should feature in this game.

Player
Goodison
I think we're finally reaching the point where if you lose a game and results go against you, you could effectively be out of the automatic promotion race, especially given our upcoming fixtures. If you look at our remaining fixtures and the league table, this is one of those games where we have to pick up at least a point - other teams around us have to play Franchise as well, if they get points and we don't were in trouble.

I'm hoping that Ronnie's learned from last time we played against Franchise and puts an extra man in centre midfield, we were more then a match for them with the extra man (we just lacked any cutting edge upfront) in the last game.

Team I would pick:

OFW

Holmes Taylor Gibson Zoom

Harrison Palmer

Bell-Baggie Power Amoo

JLAA

Subs: Mooney, Kay, Goodison, O'Halloran, Corry, Stockton, Sidibe

I would be tempted to play Kay instead of Holmes, but Kay still makes me nervous when he plays! I'm not quite sure that changing our right back is going to make much difference - our problems are in midfield and upfront.

Player
Manager
John King
As much as Akpro is struggling at the moment, I don't think you leave your top scoring striker on the bench, certainly not when you are so lacking in other attacking options. I can't see many goals coming fom a Sidibe-O'Halloran partnership.

From Ronnie's comments, it seems Zoum is likely to be left out tomorrow.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
As much as Akpro is struggling at the moment, I don't think you leave your top scoring striker on the bench, certainly not when you are so lacking in other attacking options. I can't see many goals coming fom a Sidibe-O'Halloran partnership.

From Ronnie's comments, it seems Zoum is likely to be left out tomorrow.

I can't see many goals coming from JLAA in his current frame of mind either. Don't know if it's a strop as a result of being fined after his sending-off or for some other reason, but he isn't putting a shift in atm and some of our other options are more likely to make things happen around the box, even if I share your negativity about lack of end product.

What exactly did Ronnie say about Zoum? Post Walsall, he was talking about playing him further up the park, so wonder what's changed?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Boz, I'd still think we have more chance of scoring with JLAA in his current for than we would with O'Halloran for example. Agree with RLC, you don't leave your best striker on the bench, not when we are struggling for goals. He'll come good.

As much as I agree with packing the midfield, not at the expense of leaving just 1 man up front. You are asking for trouble from the start and the best we'll get is a draw.

I'd really like to see the team go for it tomorrow. My only reservation is with the injuries. Mainly that of Robinson who I think is a catalyst for many of our points.

Defence will improve with Gibson back in the side and our real main concern is in attack. Midfield and forwards really need to be on top of their game for us to come back with the points.

Fingers crossed, we come home with a real positive result.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's all a matter of opinions. Ronnie has said 4 or 5 players have been well below par recently and Jean Louis must fall into that category. Agree he's our best striker, but if he's not scoring and not contributing in other ways then playing him in the hope he'll come good doesn't seem right. Though I'll be delighted if he gets our winner today.

I tend to agree with RTID that this is a game we really can't afford to lose. I would replace JLAA and Amoo with Sidibe and O'Halloran in the suggested line-up though. However, I'm not expecting Ronnie to follow that approach. It will be interesting to see who, aside from Danny, is to carry the can for our recent failings.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Can't see us winning.

(said that about Colchester and Brentford though...)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Gibson, Black, Power, Harrison, Palmer, Akpa Akpro, Sidibe, Bakayogo. Substitutes: Mooney, Kay, Corry, Bell-Baggie, O'Halloran, Amoo, Stockton.

Good to see the front two of JLAA and Sidibe. Come on whites!!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Poor start, we meed to get at least a point from this but cant see who going to score for us.

DIW

Player
Goodison
2 - 0 down no chance now and we are out of the top six. I'm saying it clearly no and with no doubt - we will not make the play offs. At this rate and looking at Coventry, Walsall, and Orient coming behind us we might not even get top ten. What a disastrous second half to the season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Too predictable not enough clean sheets or goals going to be an anti-climax now

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
S**t

Player
Manager
John King
At this rate and looking at Coventry, Walsall, and Orient coming behind us we might not even get top ten. What a disastrous second half to the season.

Even a week ago I did not think I would be saying this, but I agree entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.