• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Forest Green v Rovers - Play Off 2

Forest Green v Rovers - Play Off 2
Posted by Ian
The New Lawn
Monday, May 13, 2019 - 07:45 PM
Until: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not long to wait until the second game so let's get the thread started.
Rovers go into the game with a slender 1-0 lead but will this suite Rovers who can frustrate the FGR side on their home turf.

Player
Norwood
My brother just told me that he's just read a comment from Connor Jennings agent, passing on his condolences to the family, as Connor's grandfather had just passed away yesterday.
That would certainly explain why he seemed a little absent and vacant at times.
Credit to him, in most other jobs you would not be expected to go in to work after a family bereavement.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Condolences to Connor and an understandable explanation of why he might not have been at his best last night.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think the team will be unchanged and I fancy us get a draw 1 1

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Really need Mullin available as the ways Nors was struggling, he could easily miss out or have to come off and call me cynical but does he want to get a serious injury with clubs lining up to take him?

Really hard to call this. They are 16th in terms of the league table for home form. But that goes out of the window I reckon for a one off game like this. They know what they have to do. We need to be disciplined and the likes of Harris and Nors need to behave themselves as they’ll be looking for any advantage and put pressure on the ref.

Like RLC I can easily see extra time but could also visualise a 2-0 win for the home side. We still don’t score enough goals and whilst yesterday was a good win, I think we’ll need to score on Monday to get thru.

Player
aldo
god connor dosent half go through it . last season he was in a coma and now this . the lad is a monster . legend . my thoughts are with him

Player
aldo
think we need to play the same way we where in the first half at pp . they did not like it . i think they where shocked by it . and it was a joy to see us bully a team for a change think it will be 0-1 to rovers hope norwood calms down a little as i think he was trying to hard the other night

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would be tempted to start with the same 451 formation we used on Friday. However, if Norwood is not fit to start we would probably need to change things around, perhaps to a 4411 with Jennings just behind Mullin, as I don't think Paul would cope up front on his own against a side like FGR.

The first fifteen to twenty minutes of the game we will be key. We need to keep it at 0-0 for as long as possible in the hope that FGR get frustrated, over-commit and we can counter against them. If we concede early it will be a tough night. We will probably have to score a goal to go through.

Last edited:
Player
Jonny Morrisey
We need some decent width in our side I think, bit late now I know. Morris was poor the other night and didn't produce anything at all. Jonny Smith runs around a lot but again produces very little. I think he'll start with the same side but if it was me, I'd be tempted to play 442 with both Nors and Mullin up top and get at them from the off.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Pringle should start tomorrow and yes would have nors and Mullin up top

Pringle wont start and probably will not be used off the bench, his lack of effort in training and some matches not gone down well

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Difficult to know exactly how we'll approach the second leg. Given the fact we've got a lead to defend, there is no need to be too gung-ho, but I don't feel Rovers are suited to a purely defensive approach and can't see Micky setting us up that way.

If Norwood is deemed fit to start, it will probably be an unchanged line-up. While Morris was a bit disappointing in the home tie, think his defensive ability will be useful. It was right to try Smith in that game, though it didn't work and I think Pringle could have a part to play from the bench in this one, because of his ball retention. Mullin will hopefully be an option from the bench too.

No idea how this will ultimately pan out, think we'll need to score again to progress. Whatever the outcome, I hope come the final whistle, the team will have done us proud.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we just have to go out and play a really professional game against them. Neither too attacking or defensive as you are asking for trouble with both approaches. I say keep it tight. They will have to come forward to get the goal which will in turn give us opportunity to get in behind them. We have to be clinical though as I don't think we'll get many chances. A goal from us could kill it off at 2-0.