• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Fon Williams

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yet another game sitting on the Wales bench tonight in a pretty meaningless friendly against the Republic of Ireland. As Hennessy is not at full fitness, this seemed a good opportunity to give him his international debut; if Coleman believes he is good enough to repeatedly include him in the squad, surely it would be reasonable to give him 45 minutes of a match at some point ?

Although I am sure Fon Williams is delighted to be included in an international squad as a third tier player, his lack of opportunity must frustrate him.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree. One of OFW's best qualities is his loyalty - both to TRFC and Wales. But there is little point in having a player in the squad for game after game without giving him a chance. How does Chris Coleman know whether he can step up if he is not selected? Friendlies like this are surely the best way to give players their debut. Wales are not exactly blessed with a rich stream of goalkeepers, so there is a danger he will get thrown in the deep end in an important competitive match, if the other keepers get injured, suspended or lose form. Myhill does not play regular first-team football and Hennessey has only just returned from a serious injury.

Last edited:

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Fon Williams is a good shot stopper but leaves a lot to be desired as to his ability to command the 6 yard box which I feel has a lot to do with the current uncertainty in the back four. As to leaving him on the bench for "friendly" games, I agree with BBTC if ever there was an opportunity to test him those are the games he should be involved in. I think this says more about Chris Coleman's ability as a team manager than it does about Fon Williams' ability.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Would be great for his confidence if he got picked.