• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Fleetwood v Rovers

Fleetwood v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Highbury Stadium
Saturday, November 23, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, November 23, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We have had five seasons where we have been expected to win most games and have done so. This year, everyone accepts we are not one of the strongest teams in the division. But that doesn't mean that because we are losing more than we are winning that we are relegation candidates. There are enough teams worse than us to feel confident about avoiding the drop.
I'd agree than in NL days we were expected to win most of them. Less sure that was true last season. The League table at present suggests we are relegation candidates. As Bigmart says, the next 3 games will be crucial, win them all and we'll be going to Christmas in mid-table, lose them all and we'll be bottom three. Too early to rule us out as relegation candidates yet.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I'd agree than in NL days we were expected to win most of them. Less sure that was true last season. The League table at present suggests we are relegation candidates. As Bigmart says, the next 3 games will be crucial, win them all and we'll be going to Christmas in mid-table, lose them all and we'll be bottom three. Too early to rule us out as relegation candidates yet.
We clearly are relegation candidates, just as most of us expected we would be at the start of the season. However, that does not mean we don't have a realistic chance of survival.

We have barely been in the bottom three all season (if we have at all ?), but even if we were, the season is hardly decided before Christmas.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
3 goals at Milton Keynes for a start? I think he works hard and will track back and offers pace which the other forward options don't really have. He's not the finished article by a long way and perhaps won't get picked every game. The Ferrier-Payne combination features players whose style is quite similar making it easier for opponents to defend against.
I think Rushian is better suited to games away from home, when we can counter attack and he has space to run into. He was not brilliant in the home games against Wycombe, who defended deep, which is possibly why some people are not convinced.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We clearly are relegation candidates, just as most of us expected we would be at the start of the season. However, that does not mean we don't have a realistic chance of survival.

We have barely been in the bottom three all season (if we have at all ?), but even if we were, the season is hardly decided before Christmas.
I agree, was a bit surprised that BBTC didn't think we were in that category. You're right that nothing will be decided by Christmas and there is scope to add one or two players in the January window, if needed, while long-term absentees like Ellis and maybe McCullough will come back into contention.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree, was a bit surprised that BBTC didn't think we were in that category. You're right that nothing will be decided by Christmas and there is scope to add one or two players in the January window, if needed, while long-term absentees like Ellis and maybe McCullough will come back into contention.
Of course it's possible we could go down, but remember on the last couple of Saturdays of last season, about half the teams in League One could have gone down. My message was that every time we lose, we should not be so despondent and fearful of the drop. We didn't need to win at Fleetwood. We are winning enough games/points to stay up. Although we started poorly, our form recently has been mid-table.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Of course it's possible we could go down, but remember on the last couple of Saturdays of last season, about half the teams in League One could have gone down. My message was that every time we lose, we should not be so despondent and fearful of the drop. We didn't need to win at Fleetwood. We are winning enough games/points to stay up. Although we started poorly, our form recently has been mid-table.
I'm not feeling that re-assured by your opening remark :unsure:

As I said further up the thread, not that bothered about how we fare against the top sides, so long as we put in a performance. What counts more is how we get on against fellow bottom third sides and the recent evidence is contradictory on that; struggled to get a point against Southend, but a good win at Milton Keynes.