• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Five to go

drwhoman

Agree re Mac RLC. I used to go and see them occasionally when they were in the Cheshire League and Northern Premier League. I always put them in the same category as Altrincham who are nowhere now. Wigan were the stand out team in that non league era once Dave Whelan took them over.

drwhoman

A very homely ground in those days. A bit of banter with the locals and a quick pint in the Moss Rose. A good experience!

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
The rivalry between Burnley and Blackburn is so strong in East Lancs that there is no cross-fertilisation of support. I'm not sure that folks on the Wirral realise the strength of hatred between the B**tards and the Dingles; I'm not aware of any comparable rivalry in England. I would need some persuading to attend an East Lancs derby but on a recent away day for Blackburn's cup tie at Newcastle (with my son-in-law) I was amazed that at least 75% of the singing/chanting was vitriol aimed at Burnley. This means that Blackburn folk support Blackburn and Burnley folk support Burnley; the towns to the east of Burnley are Burnley. The only town with any size of population that might add to their coverage area are Accrington (a major reason for their low support). For this reason and that Burnley must have the highest amount of supporters to population, it really isn't a good comparator.

drwhoman

Fair comment and history is a big thing. Burnley were one of THE teams in the early 60s only eclipsed by the great Spurs team of the time.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well, that's MK Dons dispatched. Four to go:

19 April
Forest Green (6) - H

22 April
Lincoln (1) - A

27 April
Bury (2) - H

04 May
Crawley (20) - A

Forest Green remain 6th and are consistent enough to hang onto their playoff place but are four points behind Rovers. Lincoln stay top, only drew at home today but are well clear with a 10 point gap.

Bury move into 2nd with a good 2-0 win at home and Crawley who are fighting for their lives at the other end of the table squeeze a 1-0 win away at fellow strugglers Yeovil Town who find themselves in the relegation zone along with Notts County who looked doomed as they were beaten comfortably 3-0 by Crewe.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What another massive weekend we have coming up. FGR on the Fri and Lincoln on the Mon. o_O

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Lincoln are promoted and could seal the title on Friday, so hopefully they will have the flip flops on by the time we play them. I think three wins and a draw will just be enough, providing one of the victories is against Bury. MK and Mansfield both have fixtures where they are massive favourites on Friday, so even a win might not take us into the top three.

Player
Manager
John King
I completed a final table predictor today and tried to be as honest as possible about the likely results. Unfortunately, I had us finishing on 81 points and missing out on automatic promotion on goal difference. :(

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I completed a final table predictor today and tried to be as honest as possible about the likely results. Unfortunately, I had us finishing on 81 points and missing out on automatic promotion on goal difference. :(
Yes, it's a shame we have not scored more. Barring freak scores, which at this stage are unlikely, our goal difference will still be worst of the contenders, so we'll need an extra point more than at least two of the teams above us. On paper, it looks almost impossible as our fixtures look much more difficult. But I am feeling fairly positive and looking forward to every game. The pressure is all on the other three teams.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, it's a shame we have not scored more. Barring freak scores, which at this stage are unlikely, our goal difference will still be worst of the contenders, so we'll need an extra point more than at least two of the teams above us. On paper, it looks almost impossible as our fixtures look much more difficult. But I am feeling fairly positive and looking forward to every game. The pressure is all on the other three teams.
Yes, we will certainly need two of the three teams above us to drop 'unexpected' points if we are to go up automatically. Alternatively, we could win at Lincoln as four victories would surely be enough.

Last edited:
Player
aldo
the way the teams around us have been messing up it could come down to a bury home game show down i realy can see pp being sold out for it if thats the case . the imps had just under 10 k on sat . thats pretty much there limit . we will smash it if we have a chance . at least the play offs are pretty much secure .