• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Five to go

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
So with just five games to go we enter the crucial stage of the season. We have some real six pointers coming up over the next few weeks. There are half a dozen teams fighting it out for those top three automatic places and when you look at Rovers fixtures you really couldn't make it up.

13 April
MK Dons (3) - H

19 April
Forest Green (6) - H

22 April
Lincoln (1) - A

27 April
Bury (4) - H

04 May
Crawley (21) - A

What a huge month ahead of us. I think our next two home games are crucial. If we win these, we give ourselves a great chance. I don't expect much from Lincoln as they are flying, Bury are in freefall at the moment and probably a good time to play them and that then leaves our last game, away at Crawley which on paper is our easiest game but they'll be fighting for their lives for league two survivial so who knows what position we'll be in when that game arrives.

Hugely exciting end to the season and we need as many behind the lads as possible. Another 8-9k for our home games would create a great atmosphere for the team and hopefully spur them on to maximum points.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with you, Ian that the next two games are critical. Mixed record against Franchise and we haven't beaten Forest Green at Prenton Park yet. Odds are by the time we play Lincoln, they will already be confirmed Champions, so that may not be so challenging and there might be a chance of sneaking a point. Bury and Crawley may or may not have something to play for by the time we play them.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think we will need at least four wins and a draw for automatic, although considering MK's run-in that still might not be enough. Who knows though ? Points will be dropped unexpectedly and while MK would be expected to comfortably beat Notts and Port Vale, those sides are still scrapping for their lives (certainly Notts anyway).

What is certain is that we have to beat MK next week to stand any chance of automatic promotion. A huge game.

Player
aldo
i can see 3 / 10k plus home crowds i think we will win all the home games . im positive and im staying that way . we the fans need to fill the ground make it horrible for the away teams and enjoy it . we have been amazing this season . and the team have been great lets fill pp and give it a final go . only 4 points from the auto places its in our hands

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think we will need at least four wins and a draw for automatic, although considering MK's run-in that still might not be enough. Who knows though ? Points will be dropped unexpectedly and while MK would be expected to comfortably beat Notts and Port Vale, those sides are still scrapping for their lives (certainly Notts anyway).

What is certain is that we have to beat MK next week to stand any chance of automatic promotion. A huge game.
While I agree we probably have to beat MK Dons next week (if only to reverse our mini-slump), I don't agree that ANY result can be taken for granted in League Two this season. I wouldn't put much money on the result of any match. Remember, Macclesfield got a draw at Lincoln last week, while Notts have been totally unpredictable all season.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't agree that ANY result can be taken for granted in League Two this season.
I did not say it could. I said MK are favourites to finish ahead of us, but could drop points unexpectedly against sides battling relegation.

I don't think we are in a mini-slump either. We had one poor result at Oldham, and a good one today at a team that is very awkward to play against, and hardly ever loses at home.

Player
ian goodison
well said BBTC all teams are at some point capable of beating each other, but what a position to be in who would have thought it possible at the start of the season

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I've just had another look at recent form in League Two. Despite dropping five points last week, we are joint second over the last five matches. Only Lincoln (with 11 points to our 10) can better us and they are a class above. With any luck, they will be all but promoted on Saturday and thankfully should be in League One by the time we visit them.

Player
Manager
John King
It is always difficult to forecast, but I think 81 points would get us automatic promotion. Four wins and a draw should do it, although even then it would be touch and go.

However, if we drop points on Saturday, we will be between 4 and 7 points behind the top three with only four games to play, and with our remaining fixtures much tougher than those of our rivals. Which is why I think it is a must win game if we are to stand any chance of going up automatically.

If MK and Mansfield both win three of their remaining five games, then we are probably out of it.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Two fixtures tonight. Exeter miss the chance to go above FGR with a 3-2 defeat to struggling Macclesfield who are fighting for their lives down at the bottom and have now moved out of the relegation zone. Exeter took the lead twice.

Newport share the spoils against Swindon with another 0-0 at Rodney Parade.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Two fixtures tonight. Exeter miss the chance to go above FGR with a 3-2 defeat to struggling Macclesfield who are fighting for their lives down at the bottom and have now moved out of the relegation zone. Exeter took the lead twice.

Newport share the spoils against Swindon with another 0-0 at Rodney Parade.
Two good results for us. Everyone bar Lincoln is feeling the pressure.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Due to our history with Swindle, I'm really glad to see them dropping points and hopefully out of the play-off picture.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Fair play to Sol Campbell if Macc keep this up. A great performance tonight but in front of a "non-league" gate of 1,588. A poor turnout. They deserve better.

Player
Manager
John King
Great results for us tonight. Exeter remain six points behind us and we are seven points clear of eighth place. Play offs as a minimum looking likely now. With regard to Macc, they are a tiny club in a very small town, so their gates are to be expected really.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Great results for us tonight. Exeter remain six points behind us and we are seven points clear of eighth place. Play offs as a minimum looking likely now. With regard to Macc, they are a tiny club in a very small town, so their gates are to be expected really.
I still maintain it's a poor attendance. Macclesfield has a population of 52,000 compared to Burnley's 73,000 and Nailsworth's (FGR) 5,800.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I still maintain it's a poor attendance. Macclesfield has a population of 52,000 compared to Burnley's 73,000 and Nailsworth's (FGR) 5,800.
There is no ‘big’ team within commuting distance of Burnley or Forest Green, the former have a decent history while the latter have been bankrolled by a wealthy owner. Taking everything into account, I would have expected a few more to rock up to the Moss Rose though.

Player
aldo
thats why they have paid there players late a few times this season . they are up the creek . the fans hate the owner . and a fair few have stayed away cus of it . . great set of results for us though

Player
Manager
John King
Forest Green draw most of their support from Stroud and the neighbouring villages, which combined have a considerably bigger population than 5,000. In any case, considering where they are in the league FGR's gates are barely any better than Macclesfield's. You can't compare Macclesfield with Burnley. The former have spent the vast majority of their history in non league football and have City and United on their doorstep; the latter are one of the historic names of English football, and their catchment area stretches across East Lancashire and is bigger than you suggest.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Burnley is within an hour of the highest concentration of league clubs in the country - including Manchester. But they have always had a loyal following in the town. They probably draw little outside support as they are so close to other Lancashire towns with rival teams.

Macclesfield have fewer clubs in the vicinity but a smaller catchment area. Nevertheless, the team is not well supported by any standard. However, the owners are not popular with the fans and I wonder if there is a "Blackpool effect" keeping some otherwise loyal supporters away.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't see how you can compare Burnley and Macclesfield. It would be like comparing Wolves or Derby with Tranmere. Our catchment areas might be similar, but we are vastly different clubs. Burnley have tons of history and are former League and FA Cup winners. Because of that, most people in the town that watch football will watch them. Macclesfield have no history. Until they reached the league for the first time in 1997, I doubt they even registered with most of the local population, the majority of whom will be United and City fans through the generations. Their gates are reasonable for what they are in reality - a small non league club.

Last edited: