• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FGR v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not read much about the game as was at Vauxhall’s watching Declan Drysdale playing for the hosts.

RLCS views sound valid as FGRs manager has been very complementary post match saying we’re the best footballing team they’ve played this season and we impressed him.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sadly, I feared our unbeaten run might finish here. Our attack seems to have lost its bite. Nors failed to shine at the New Lawn and he'll be as disappointed as anyone. When I saw the team I feared for our creativity and am just glad Harris stayed on the pitch.

Micky now needs to get them going again for Saturday against Crawley. At least we won't be travelling again for a while. We have four home games on the trot with Exeter and the two cup-ties. Then it's Crewe away followed by Oldham at home. It's a great opportunity to pick up points, but we'll need to play a lot better to beat Crawley and Exeter.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
RLCS views sound valid as FGRs manager has been very complementary post match saying we’re the best footballing team they’ve played this season and we impressed him.
Yes, but good footballing sides score goals and win matches.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
This was always going to be the problem when your only goalscorer hits a dry run. Who else is going to chip in with goals? I didn't get to catch the game tonight, but there seems to be some defensive lapses too going down fairly early on in the game. Going back to my original point though, it doesn't matter how well you play, if you can't put the ball away, you'll get punished. Can't be too harsh on the lads though, they've had a great run so far.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We do. We are seventh in the league.
Perhaps I am being overcritical but surely you see my point. We have only scored more than one goal in four league games. In the last twelve, we have scored more than one only twice. Our defence has been doing its job but our finishing is deficient.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Have to say I disagree with RLC this time. I thought we were very poor last night admittedly against a much better side than Yeovil. Early on completely out thought and outplayed. We were lethargic, second to every ball and our passing was awful with pass after pass misplaced. We also for probably the first time this season were massively exposed at the back - their pace was much too much for us and Sutton and McNulty were struggling all game. Sutton incidentally I thought should have been rested and Ellis played instead as too much to expect him to play 3 games in such a short space of time after a long layoff.
Despite many on this forum and the other not rating him it seems clear to me that the lack of a hold up player (previously Stockton) up front is causing us issues with no way of relieving the line. No coincidence in my book that Norwood has struggled in last few games and last night he looked very unhappy and demotivated, although yes he has had chances I know.
All in all to me after a better than expected start to the season the last 3 games have been a reality check. We only beat Maccelsfield thanks to a great individual effort from Gilmour, we played for a point at Yeovil who in my view are a team we should be able to beat and did not look great and last night we were outplayed for the majority of the games and looked very average. I feel that MM for the first time this season has some thinking to do. Yes Buxton and Zoum coming back will help matters but the who to play upfront and what formation needs some thought IMO. Maybe give Franklyn a start with Norwood? Finally good to see Tollitt come on but he didn't do much - not sure what the plan is but surely he should be sent on loan to rediscover his best form in a less pressured environment?

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Completely agree with ADD. Last night was a very harsh reality check. They were better in every department, ran their socks off, looked fitter and quicker than us all over the pitch. Banks was a huge miss as he brings a steadying influence to the game. The only player I thought came out with any credit was Luke McCullough. that said, it has been a great start back in the league and we are still in a good position in the league, so I don't want to get too down hearted about 1 game.

Hopefully with the next two league games being at PP the boys can put this one behind them.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Perhaps I am being overcritical but surely you see my point. We have only scored more than one goal in four league games. In the last twelve, we have scored more than one only twice. Our defence has been doing its job but our finishing is deficient.
The manner that we pick up results is ultimately irrelevant. The reality is that we have picked up results consistently this season and will continue to do so, in my opinion. Strongly disagree with a lot of the comments above, which I will expand on later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Player
ian goodison
as ADD has stated a reality check both for the fans but also players & staff some thinking to do from MM as to personnel & formations NO game in this league will be a pushover hope we get back on track for the crawley game

joe

Sometimes these games are the proverbial kick up the backside which good can come from. Lets hope.

Player
Manager
John King
Despite the scoreline, I enjoyed the game last night, which I thought was a good match between two decent footballing sides. We started very poorly and took 20-25 minutes to settle, but I did not think we were outplayed. On the contrary, some of our midfield play was very good and we created chances throughout, but poor defending and profligacy in front of goal cost us. We probably missed Banks' experience and know-how in a defensive and organisational sense, but I did not actually think we missed his creativity. Gilmour, Smith and McCullough all had good games and Jay Harris did very well as a stand-in.

We started slowly and were penned in our own half for the first quarter of an hour, the hosts perhaps responding to criticism of their poor performance in their derby game on Saturday. However, I actually think the back four did well to repel their attacks in this period and Davies did not actually have a save to make in the early stages. Ironically, the opening goal came just as we had started to settle. Defensively, it was a naive goal to concede, as Gilmour found himself one-on-one with their forward on a counter attack and should have challenged him robustly on the halfway line, and taken him down if necessary, rather than allowing him to sprint the length of the pitch.

We responded well and created several chances in the next ten minutes, two one-on-ones for Norwood and a more difficult opportunity for Smith where the ball would not settle for him. If we had equalised then, we would almost certainly have taken something from the game and, as their manager commented, we could have been 3-1 up before they scored the second. The second goal was again poor defensively, McNulty caught on the wrong side of the forward and committing a definite foul. It was even more disappointing that the FGR forward reacted first to Davies' save rather than a defender.

In the second half FGR stood off us and we continued ton have decent possession and create chances which we missed (Cole, Jennings, a one-on-one for Harris) until Mullin deservedly pulled a goal back. The third FGR goal is an irrelevance really, as we were caught on the counter attack having committed numbers forward looking for an equaliser.

Individually, I thought the midfield were very good in possession, particularly McCullough, Gilmour and Smith. Norwood's movement was excellent but he is having one of those periods in front of goal at the moment. I did not think McNulty and Sutton were as poor as some above have suggested. Caprice was excellent and gave us constant attacking width down the right hand side. However, Monthe was poor at left back and we need Bakayogo to return soon. Cole was lively when he came on, and Tollitt was predictably awful. Man of the match, Jake Caprice.

We have already shown we can defend well at this level, and if we continue to play the football we did after the first twenty minutes last night, we will be fine.

Player
Manager
John King
We only beat Maccelsfield thanks to a great individual effort from Gilmour, we played for a point at Yeovil who in my view are a team we should be able to beat and did not look great and last night we were outplayed for the majority of the games and looked very average.
I don't think you can just dismiss the last three results in that way. We have taken four point from three games, which is comfortable mid-table form. Prior to last night, Macclesfield had only lost games by the odd goal, and Yeovil are not a struggling side.

We should remember that a fortnight ago we beat the league leaders, with essentially the same tactics and personnel.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think we played for a point at Yeovil either. We just did not play well and the formation was not right for that game.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Despite the scoreline, I enjoyed the game last night, which I thought was a good match between two decent footballing sides. We started very poorly and took 20-25 minutes to settle, but I did not think we were outplayed. On the contrary, some of our midfield play was very good and we created chances throughout, but poor defending and profligacy in front of goal cost us. We probably missed Banks' experience and know-how in a defensive and organisational sense, but I did not actually think we missed his creativity. Gilmour, Smith and McCullough all had good games and Jay Harris did very well as a stand-in.

We started slowly and were penned in our own half for the first quarter of an hour, the hosts perhaps responding to criticism of their poor performance in their derby game on Saturday. However, I actually think the back four did well to repel their attacks in this period and Davies did not actually have a save to make in the early stages. Ironically, the opening goal came just as we had started to settle. Defensively, it was a naive goal to concede, as Gilmour found himself one-on-one with their forward on a counter attack and should have challenged him robustly on the halfway line, and taken him down if necessary, rather than allowing him to sprint the length of the pitch.

We responded well and created several chances in the next ten minutes, two one-on-ones for Norwood and a more difficult opportunity for Smith where the ball would not settle for him. If we had equalised then, we would almost certainly have taken something from the game and, as their manager commented, we could have been 3-1 up before they scored the second. The second goal was again poor defensively, McNulty caught on the wrong side of the forward and committing a definite foul. It was even more disappointing that the FGR forward reacted first to Davies' save rather than a defender.

In the second half FGR stood off us and we continued ton have decent possession and create chances which we missed (Cole, Jennings, a one-on-one for Harris) until Mullin deservedly pulled a goal back. The third FGR goal is an irrelevance really, as we were caught on the counter attack having committed numbers forward looking for an equaliser.

Individually, I thought the midfield were very good in possession, particularly McCullough, Gilmour and Smith. Norwood's movement was excellent but he is having one of those periods in front of goal at the moment. I did not think McNulty and Sutton were as poor as some above have suggested. Caprice was excellent and gave us constant attacking width down the right hand side. However, Monthe was poor at left back and we need Bakayogo to return soon. Cole was lively when he came on, and Tollitt was predictably awful. Man of the match, Jake Caprice.

We have already shown we can defend well at this level, and if we continue to play the football we did after the first twenty minutes last night, we will be fine.
RLC this is the beauty of these forums. Fair play we watched the same game but saw the outcome very very differently...

Player
Manager
John King
RLC this is the beauty of these forums. Fair play we watched the same game but saw the outcome very very differently...
Indeed. Most people agree with you if it is any consolation !

ADD

Player
Norwood
I don't think you can just dismiss the last three results in that way. We have taken four point from three games, which is comfortable mid-table form. Prior to last night, Macclesfield had only lost games by the odd goal, and Yeovil are not a struggling side.

We should remember that a fortnight ago we beat the league leaders, with essentially the same tactics and personnel.
I wasn't dismissing the results RLC. You can look at it a number of ways but in my view we struggled to beat Macclesfield (wonder strike) and played poorly - we played poorly against Yeovil who may not be struggling but were very average nonetheless and we were very easily beaten by FGR who also hit the post don't forget. We therefore could equally have taken only 2 points which is not mid-table form. Lincoln was in my view our last good game... my match comments were mainly focussed on how we seem to have fallen a long way from that form. Either way hope we find it again soon!!!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's not easy to square the circle in terms of what's been said about the Rovers performance here. The limited highlights I've seen don't help much, poor defending for all three goals. Gilmour could have been stronger for the first goal, but he lost the ball around the half-way line and no team-mate put in a challenge thereafter. Poor challenge by McNulty for the penalty and as RLC notes the defence should have been more alert to the second ball after Davies' save. I think 451 was the right starting formation. Micky sounded quite critical in his post-match interview, so there may be more changes than the return of Ollie Banks for the visit of an in-form Crawley this Saturday.

Player
ian goodison
not being critical of MM but how many times in the past has he suggested changes only to see the same faces appear