• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Ex-Rovers doing well

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I notice that Inverness Caledonian Thistle have just beaten Celtic to stay top of the Scottish Premier League. Rovers rejects David Raven plays at right-back and Carl Tremarco is on the bench. What does that say about the standard of Scottish football? It's a shame we can't join the SPL!

drwhoman

Yes indeed BBTC. I recall being in Scotland a few years ago and watching the Scottish Cup Final on the TV. Steve Jennings was playing for Motherwell and (mental block) the striker who went from Everton to Arsenal and trialled with us before the start of last season? I notice that a few lower division players have gone up there to play in the SPL. You will recall that Scotland was a great source of players at one time. Alex Young and Jimmy Gabriel of Everton come to mind and Ron Yeats and Ian St John for Liverpool. There were many others of course.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Opposite of ex Rovers doing well, I hear Mooney our ex GK - now at York, got substituted as he had lost his nerve. Many on this site were sorry to see him go - inc me:)

Player
Liam Palmer
Yes, let's join the SPL - Ross County away would be quite a trip!

There are a load of ex-Rovers up there: Ash Taylor and Shay Logan (Aberdeen) - and Calvin Zola has just left. Jake Jervis is at Ross County and has even scored a couple already this season. Gavin Gunning was starring for Dundee United until this summer, whilst Micky O'Halloran won a Scottish Cup medal with St. Johnstone in May. In fact if you look across the SPL, there are plenty of players who have played at Prenton Park for other teams recently, including Gary Harkins, who was one of the best players I saw there last season, playing for Oldham. He's now at Dundee.

Not sure what all this means, except there's about as much money in the SPL as there is in League 1 in England.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes indeed BBTC. I recall being in Scotland a few years ago and watching the Scottish Cup Final on the TV. Steve Jennings was playing for Motherwell and (mental block) the striker who went from Everton to Arsenal and trialled with us before the start of last season? I notice that a few lower division players have gone up there to play in the SPL. You will recall that Scotland was a great source of players at one time. Alex Young and Jimmy Gabriel of Everton come to mind and Ron Yeats and Ian St John for Liverpool. There were many others of course.
Ah, those names from the past. In those days, I remember seeing Rangers holding their own against Everton and Celtic being unlucky not to beat Liverpool, when all four teams were champions at the time. The standard of Scottish football has gone down dramatically since then - teams and players. (I think you are thinking of Franny Jeffers.)

drwhoman

Ah yes - Franny Jeffers - thanks for reminding me BBTC. I was always a great George Yardley fan until he got that horrendous injury. In more recent times - Pat Nevin of course - I always enjoyed watching him.