• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Everton

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
we could be 1 LG apart next Season, they have a terrible team at the moment, there are fans on the Phone in on the radio shit were going mad, I have loads in the family who are Blues it's quite fun playing with them

Reactions: Boz

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
Do you think they have spent over 500m since the guy took over, imagine if they did go down they would be in big trouble, and some of the stick we got off some of their fans when we went out of the LG I am not to bothered,

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
To be fair, if I was an Evertonian, I'd be going mad too. Not only did they have a top class manager in Ancelotti (who did admittedly jump ship at the first chance even though he had an early release clause in his contract) but they replaced him with a former Reds manager. That is like us losing Mellon and putting Allardyce in charge. And then not only that but making a complete hash of it too. You could not make it up at Everton really. What has 500m got them? They have an owner who does not have a clue and they will be very lucky to stay up this season.

They now have a vastly inexperienced manager in Lampard who's job it is to keep a team of no-hopers in the Prem. Wow.

drwhoman

Everton really are in a bad way and I an not sure Frank is the guy to keep them up. The irony might be that it is not Burnley who overtake them but Watford with Woy at the helm. I know he had a hard time at Liverpool but he is a highly experienced Manager who did a decent job at Crystal Palace and elsewhere. Talking of Burnley I think they got the short straw when the owner sold last year (?) to some American outfit. They paid 150m, funded 50 by a private mortgage and 100m from Burnley after the takeover! No wonder they have little money to improve the team. Going back to Everton, I think we are all agreed that Moshiri is the real issue - the man with the money who expects to do things his way. Understandable but he is totally inexperienced when it comes to running a football club. It is interesting to compare the Liverpool owners. They had previous experience in sport with the Red Sox and they seemingly operate on a considered and collegiate basis. They have built a successful team on about a third of the money spent by the oil sheikhs at City and a fifth of the money spent at Chelsea by Putin' mate (discovered it seems after 20 years!) . The latest Liverpool financial results indicated an almost breakeven position during Covid which is impressive - they have used their onfield success to really build their commercial and sponsorship relationships. And to think that when I started taking an interest in football Everton were a very successful First Division team and Shankley had still to arrive at Anfield. It was pre-Dave Russell at Tranmere!

Talking of Chelsea, what a mess that is but to be expected in the circumstances. As I said above, it took twenty years for action to be taken re the owner. The PL really does need to tighten its ownership criteria. What about Newcastle - how are their owners different to Putin? They are bombing the Yemen to rublble (with British weapons!) and executed 81 people yesterday. Not that some fans of both clubs care. Their lives revolve around their team - sad really but there we are.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The Everton situation is a mess. On the face of it Benitez seemed a decent appointment but he seemed to have recruited badly and fallen out with some of their better players like Digne. Lampard seems like one of the nice guys but he’s got his work cut out to keep them up. I still think he’ll manage it just, but will be tight.

It’s the monies associated with the Premier League which have attracted some dubious owners and not just those owned by foreign nations with poor human rights. Before the current regime Liverpool had Hicks and Gillette for example.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The PL really does need to tighten its ownership criteria. What about Newcastle - how are their owners different to Putin? They are bombing the Yemen to rubble (with British weapons!) and executed 81 people yesterday. Not that some fans of both clubs care. Their lives revolve around their team - sad really but there we are.
No chance of the EPL doing anything. Even less chance of the British government. Boris is pleading with the Saudis for more oil and gas to replace Russia's - and he won't risk harming British arms sales.

Player
ian goodison
when I left school and started work at STORK (Bromborough) most of the lads went to everton and in those days you could go to rovers fri. night then everton/Liverpool sat. supporters mixed freely and in good spirits, when we beat them 3-0 in the cup at goodison the atmosphere coming away was feral and frightening they seem to have a horrible attitude and as much I like to see all local teams do well I wont shed any tears if they do go down.

drwhoman

when I left school and started work at STORK (Bromborough) most of the lads went to everton and in those days you could go to rovers fri. night then everton/Liverpool sat. supporters mixed freely and in good spirits, when we beat them 3-0 in the cup at goodison the atmosphere coming away was feral and frightening they seem to have a horrible attitude and as much I like to see all local teams do well I wont shed any tears if they do go down.
Sadly there seems to be a hooligan element at most big clubs. It is why supporting a family club is always so much more relaxing (at least from a physical safety perspective!).

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
In my teenage years, going to both Rovers and the other clubs were a regular thing!
it was just what we did!

when we played the blues in the cup and best them, we travel!ed over on the buses provided.
As we were walking back, a Happy Als coach had the windows put in!!
It was from this side of the river. But was from a regular pub trip across full of blues fans!
Horrific but humerous!

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
That's my experience too. My footballing mates were split between the three clubs and we would often go to other teams' games, even the occasional away trip. With Rovers playing home games on Friday and Monday evenings, there was rarely a clash. Two games at the weekend and three in a week was the norm. I once went to a local away game (Rochdale, I think) and got the coach to drop us off in Liverpool on the return journey so we could go to an evening game at Anfield against Sunderland. I very rarely had to buy a ticket in advance and could afford the entrance, refreshments, programme and travel without having a proper job. How times have changed!

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
ROVERS most on a Friday or a day they have no game I don,t want them down I would love to see them stay up but it's Football and we see what goes

drwhoman

That's my experience too. My footballing mates were split between the three clubs and we would often go to other teams' games, even the occasional away trip. With Rovers playing home games on Friday and Monday evenings, there was rarely a clash. Two games at the weekend and three in a week was the norm. I once went to a local away game (Rochdale, I think) and got the coach to drop us off in Liverpool on the return journey so we could go to an evening game at Anfield against Sunderland. I very rarely had to buy a ticket in advance and could afford the entrance, refreshments, programme and travel without having a proper job. How times have changed!
I agree with your comments BBTC. I can add that I had friends who supported South Liverpool in the Lancashire Combination and later the Northern Premier League, as we lived five minutes walk away in Garston. We had some good days out around the north of England. Interesting to think that amongst the grounds we visited were Morecambe, Fleetwood and Wigan - all league clubs now of course. There is a bus interchange on the old Souths ground now although they still do play locally somewhere down the football ladder!

drwhoman

I agree with your comments BBTC. I can add that I had friends who supported South Liverpool in the Lancashire Combination and later the Northern Premier League, as we lived five minutes walk away in Garston. We had some good days out around the north of England. Interesting to think that amongst the grounds we visited were Morecambe, Fleetwood and Wigan - all league clubs now of course. There is a bus interchange on the old Souths ground now although they still do play locally somewhere down the football ladder!
I was just reflecting that Jimmy Case and John Aldridge started at South Liverpool. Cannot imagine that the scouting networks would miss players of that quality today.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Everton's recruitment has been awful for years, which is why they are in their current predicament.

However, in the context of a relegation battle, their signings this January were particularly strange. Players like Dele Ali and Van de Beek, who have spent months on the fringes of elite squads, hardly fit the profile required for a relegation scrap. Neither player is like to feel any investment in the club in the long term, as Ali will simply force a move away if Everton are relegated and Van de Beek will return to United.

By contrast, as odious as their new regime is, Newcastle made better choices by bringing in players like Chris Wood and Kieran Trippier.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Everton's recruitment has been awful for years, which is why they are in their current predicament.

However, in the context of a relegation battle, their signings this January were particularly strange. Players like Dele Ali and Van de Beek, who have spent months on the fringes of elite squads, hardly fit the profile required for a relegation scrap. Neither player is like to feel any investment in the club in the long term, as Ali will simply force a move away if Everton are relegated and Van de Beek will return to United.

By contrast, as odious as their new regime is, Newcastle made better choices by bringing in players like Chris Wood and Kieran Trippier.
Totally agree, their signings didn't make sense at all and have had no impact at all.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
A lot of that changed in the years after the Heath premiership, after the three day week and power cuts!
Games were played in the early afternoon midweek and weekends.
Then the FA, dictated, that because of the pools, if you didn't play on a Saturday afternoon, you would lose the money given to clubs!
It just didn't give you the option or freedom to do this anymore!

drwhoman

Totally agree, their signings didn't make sense at all and have had no impact at all.
Matters were complicated by Rafa spending the Digne money on Patterson and the Ukrainian before Lampard arrived. The signings in January had a smell of desperation about them. Ali seems to have lost the plot (I read he turns up in a Rolls
Royce?) while Van Beek seems to find the more physical English game quite hard. Agree re Newcastle although I think their stand out purchases were Trippier and Dan Burn. I think Chris Wood was overpriced at 25m but they needed someone at least in the short term. Everton could have done worse than consider Eddie Howe before they appointed Rafa. Or maybe he did not want to work for Moshiri who is a one man approval team! I get the sense that the Saudis are more willing to give Eddie his head.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
their signings this January were particularly strange. Players like Dele Ali and Van de Beek, who have spent months on the fringes of elite squads, hardly fit the profile required for a relegation scrap
I think this is an excellent point. Of all the poor signings over the years they just never seem to learn. They need a complete overhaul. Maybe a drop down to the Championship will make them reassess.