• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EVERTON V ROVERS

Player
aldo
ok chaps think we will get hammerd in this one not sure who is going to play or what formation he will use hope yates don,t play he is Rubish can,t defend or score and the young lad in centre mid Koumas is pants .

Player
aldo
always remember calling my Cousin when it was 2-0 had him crying he was only 6 at the time and a blue nose I had to call him again at 3-0 the reminded him for months after love it

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
The only game I ever took my father-in-law to see. He probably thought it was completely normal! My boss at the time was an Everton S/T holder and I remember buying all the newspapers and adorning his office with them! Funnily enough he wasn't in on the Monday - probably pig sick. It was a good idea to reshow the match - I think I bought my Dad the video/DVD but this was the first time I'd watched the full match since that famous day. Interesting that we had loanees even then - Jobson from Oldham and Hamilton from Newcastle. At least it was some kind of substitution for live footy at 3pm on a Saturday!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
One of the best away days ever, loved every minute of it.
We may not have any footie to watch at the moment but we have plenty of great memories.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It was one of our greatest wins. Worth a whole verse in the song I wrote.

Their best ever win still makes the fans grin
It took place just over the water
When they took on Everton
Most thought they’d be lambs to the slaughter.
But two goals from Steve Yates sealed the Toffees’ fate
And had all the fans in clover
Koumas scored one more, which made the score
Three-nil for Tranmere Rovers.​

Player
aldo
just remember i was living in a staff house and came over from the hotel ( was living in Ross _on Wye at the time and oh my god what a beauty of a place lovely little town made some good mates there . think I screamed the house down when I saw the ht score

Alun

Player
Eddie Dagger Roberts
My wife, had had a lung transplant, that sadly did not work and on the day of the game was in intensive care , in hospital in Tooting London, I left the intensive care and went to one of the wards to see if anyone had a radio for the scores, one guy, told me to use his hospital headphones to listen to the scores, I jumped up when I heard that Yates had scored, ran back to intensive care, only to come out again to to put the headphones on to hear those memorable words, the shock could be on Tranmere have just gone 2-0 up, I jumped up hugging my new found friend, and rushing back to the ITU. unit, even though my wife was sedated and on life support, I am sure she smiled when I told her Tranmere 2. Everton 0, as I did not want to chance my luck or give my new friend a heart attack with my antics, I sat until I could not take it any longer, then with about five mins left I returned to my new friends bed, ear phones on and waited while they rabbited about other meaningless games, then they announced there is only one place to go and that is Everton, where the shock of the day is happening, Everton 0 Tranmere 3. my poor friend got hugged and kissed as I ran out of the ward with all the patients wondering who the mad man running through the ward with his arms in the air was,I had to compose myself before returning to the ITU, unit, that evening, I visited most of the pubs in Tooting to see if they were showing the highlights, alas, I could not find one, so had to wait till next morning to buy every paper to read the reports. That was my memories of one of the greatests wins of any Tranmere team.

drwhoman

When you see that game again you realise what a great talent Koumas was. He had a pretty decent career but with a bit more luck might have done even better. To be fair, Everton were poor. I have never seem a PL team rely so much on the long throw and the defending for our third goal was non existent! Not complaining though!