• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Everton home game at PP !!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Apparently Everton are to play a 'home' friendly against Celta Vigo at Prenton Park on 6th August. While Rovers will no doubt receive a financial reward for staging the game, I am unhappy with the arrangement for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, we should be trying to attract the Wirral public to PP to watch Rovers, not provide a close-to-home venue for the tunnel rats. Secondly, the reason Everton give for the switch of venues is the desire to preserve the Goodison Park pitch; I would rather we protected our own interests and our own pitch three days prior to the first home game of the season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I can't imagine the pitch will take that much of a hammering. There's probably not a great deal Rovers wouldn't do if there's a financial reward. Every penny counts.

Player
Nixon
I welcome this game to PP for these reasons:-

1. It will be a large crowd, ----- financial gain for Tranmere

2. If 10% of that large crowd who haven't been to PP decide they like the place and could poss attend a few TRFC games when EFC are not playing or playing away------financial gain for Tranmere.

3. No doubt there will be mums/dads taking kids to watch EFC for the first time as they cant afford to take them to Premiership games..... These kids are the future supporters of football. As a parent you want to give your kids what they want, but if money is tight, games at PP maybe the answer for them.---- financial gain for Tranmere

4. EFC games being played at PP will only bring the clubs closer together, anyone who has a vague interest in football will probably know that Everton have a very, very good youth policy and fantastic under 17s and under 21 squads.
Players that might end up being loaned to Tranmere, even for short terms, injury crisis etc.
This could only help us get out of this league and -------- (you know what goes here)

Now where in a lower league, less TV funds, less advertisement funds, we need to see the bigger picture when it comes to the clubs future and most of all MONEY

:)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Totally agree with Merseyside Bossman this is a good thing for the club and can only benefit us.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
There is also the danger, which nobody above recognises, that for a load of Wirral based people, many of them children, this will be their first football match. The team you watch at your first game often becomes your club for life, so we might be creating another generation of Wirral-based Everton supporters when we should be trying to attract more people to Prenton Park to watch Rovers.

Bossman refers to people attending the game becoming semi-regular Rovers fans. Why would this be the case if they are only turning up to watch Everton ? Surely they would be equally likely to attend discounted future Everton games (friendlies, Carling Cup etc.) as watch Rovers ? The tickets are £20 for adults, which are not cheap, so the game is not going to attract people who can't otherwise afford to attend matches. I don't remember too many of the 15,000 Liverpool 'fans' who attended the friendly six years ago flocking back to Prenton Park for Rovers games.

We already have a good relationship with Everton regarding loan players, so I don't see that it is necessary to make Prenton Park their second home to keep a reasonable relationship going.

Just because the club is short of money does not mean it should prostitute itself by any money raising venture, no matter what the consequences are for the club's identity and independence.

If, as has been suggested, we are taking 100% of the gate receipts, that might be a decent deal, but those rumours have not been confirmed.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think you might be looking into this a bit too deeply. It's financial gain for us, simple as. I don't think one friendly match is going to change a great deal. The club need to start producing results to get supporters old and new back into PP.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Does this account for our lack of a game in the last week before the season begins? I'm fairly indifferent about this, so long as it doesn't impact on our own season, either by reducing preparation time or damaging the pitch.

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
Im the same as Boz as long as it dosent affect our pitch, then it can only be a good thing to use the ground when its lying empty