• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

European Super League

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with BBTC that unless the government legislates to prevent this happening again, probably with something similar to the German ownership model, these owners will simply come back with some revised proposal in the coming years. The Champions League 'compromise' that has been proposed by UEFA is bad enough in itself and concentrates more wealth and power in their hands.

drwhoman

I agree with BBTC that unless the government legislates to prevent this happening again, probably with something similar to the German ownership model, these owners will simply come back with some revised proposal in the coming years. The Champions League 'compromise' that has been proposed by UEFA is bad enough in itself and concentrates more wealth and power in their hands.
Agree particularly re your last point. There is a lot of talk about stronger governance of club ownership and management. I was only reflecting earlier that some of these men have form. We all remember the Glazers effectively buying Utd with its own money. Or City getting away with fiddling the Fair Play Rules. It will be interesting to see if anything happens once the media storm dies down. I suspect it will need Governments and not League apparachiks to stare these sorts of people down.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I'd like the German model to be implemented here, in reality that may be hard to achieve, given the sums of money some of the owners[at Chelsea and Man City] have invested in their clubs...where would the funds come from to buy out the 50%?

Also note that the new UEFA Champions League rules will allow some clubs entry based on their history rather than league placings. With all the flak understandably directed at the breakaway clubs, let's not ,ignore some of the dubious actions coming from that quarter.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
While I'd like the German model to be implemented here, in reality that may be hard to achieve, given the sums of money some of the owners[at Chelsea and Man City] have invested in their clubs...where would the funds come from to buy out the 50%?
You could devise a way for fans to have power without having a significant financial stake. You could create a different class of share just with voting rights.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

Also note that the new UEFA Champions League rules will allow some clubs entry based on their history rather than league placings. With all the flak understandably directed at the breakaway clubs, let's not ,ignore some of the dubious actions coming from that quarter.
And the plan also includes a lot more games.

Player
Manager
John King

UEFA are indeed also corrupt, which is why some sort of regulatory action is required from government along the lines BBTC suggests.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The government suggestion is for a British league .

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The government suggestion is for a British league .
I’m not sure what that would achieve or how it would operate. English clubs would dominate. Only Rangers and Celtic might have a chance of survival in the top tier. And what would happen when the Scotland got its independence? But then maybe that’s the plan to make the Scots feel more British and less likely to secede.

Player
Manager
John King
I am not sure how bringing Celtic and Rangers into the English League system wards off the threat of a Super League. It seems like that proposal was cooked up by one of Johnson's advisors for short term political ends, as BBTC suggests.

tyke

Player
Geenacre
I am not sure how bringing Celtic and Rangers into the English League system wards off the threat of a Super League. It seems like that proposal was cooked up by one of Johnson's advisors for short term political ends, as BBTC suggests.

Agree. It's just another Bridge to Belfast spiffing wheeze.

Anyway, what happens if Celtic gets relegated? Do Dundee Utd get promoted?

Re changing the ownership model, we have to decide whether the benefits of Russian, UAE, US money in the game outweigh the downside. If they don't, we can change the ownership rules and take the consequences. But I can't really see that happening. The vital thing will be the position of Munich, Dortmund and PSG. If their position were somehow to change, this could all come around again with a much higher chance of success.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If their position were somehow to change, this could all come around again with a much higher chance of success.
I can see this coming around again. Money talks and as long as there is curruption in the game and ridiculous amounts of money floating around, the pull will be too strong. I'd imagine a similar format just with more teams in it.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I can see this coming around again. Money talks and as long as there is curruption in the game and ridiculous amounts of money floating around, the pull will be too strong. I'd imagine a similar format just with more teams in it.
Call me cynical, but the reaction to the plan was entirely predictable. The people driving this aren't stupid and I think this was all part of a longer end-game.

Player
Manager
John King
I see Rick the P##ck Parry is using the fallout to suggest his 'Project Big Picture' should be reintroduced, a scheme only marginally less horrific than the Super League.

He is another individual that needs booting out of English football.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
What an absolute joke he is Rick Parry, give it a rest.

drwhoman

Klopp was right when he said that no one asks the coaches, the players or the fans! All about money for men who live for it. The Champions League changes are more evidence of this. More games before Xmas which must further devalue the domestic cup comps.