• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

European Super League

drwhoman

I have yet to hear anyone who supports it other than the avaricious owners. They are treating a game and for many, a way of life, as just another product. They can wail all they like about the cost of the pandemic but the oil sheikhs, Russian oligarchs and American investment spivs can all afford it. Most of their wealth was probably stolen to start with (Abramovitch), obtained through tribal culture (the sheikhs) or by cosy backroom deals.(the Americans). I feel sorry for the likes of. Klopp. He knew no more about it than us and yet the half brains blame him and the team. If these guys are not careful their product will be worthless. Fans are also the so called consumers. Surely these people would have been told the likely reaction or perhaps they believe they are untouchable. They are not.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The only way that this will work is to kick them out. Goodbye and no return ticket. I would be fairly happy for that to happen actually as i think it will re-balance the leagues and provide better competition, something that it well overdue, but surely they can not have their cake and eat it too!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The only way that this will work is to kick them out. Goodbye and no return ticket. I would be fairly happy for that to happen actually as i think it will re-balance the leagues and provide better competition, something that it well overdue, but surely they can not have their cake and eat it too!
The only downside I can see is the TV companies will probably want a fair slice of their money back which would leave the rest on fairly big financial trouble.

This is being set up not far the fans of clubs in this country its for those all over the world.

Not sure if anybody has seen the comments from the Real Madrid president the nan is seriously deluded.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I wonder how many of the Big 6 fans who say they will never watch their team again if it happens stay true to their word? If they do and they want to continue to watch senior football there are a number of clubs who would benefit from sudden gate increases post-pandemic. You may also see "alternative" cubs like FC of Manchester appear with significant backing.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I wonder how many of the Big 6 fans who say they will never watch their team again if it happens stay true to their word? If they do and they want to continue to watch senior football there are a number of clubs who would benefit from sudden gate increases post-pandemic. You may also see "alternative" cubs like FC of Manchester appear with significant backing.
As has been suggested elsewhere, it seems likely that Henry and Glazer are completely unconcerned about the response of the local fan base and ultimately intend to move the 'shells' of the former clubs off to the US or the Far East in the style of an American franchise. It is interesting that the new competition is styled as 'The Super League', with no mention of 'European'. Where these clubs are based is of no interest to owners, as long as they can still generate TV / streaming revenue.

If that was to happen, there certainly would be substantial phoenix clubs created.

I share Mart's concerns regarding the current TV contract. If the remaining EPL clubs fear they would be in breach of contract if the Six are thrown out, they would have no choice but to reach a compromise, which I think would be the worst possible outcome.

Last edited:

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Totally agree with RLC, this is the beginning of football franchising on the same model as American football and following the pattern of moving clubs away from their initial fan base ( eg. St Louis Rams to Los Angeles, Houston Oilers to Tennessee, and Oakland Raiders to Las Vegas) without the slightest considerations to those fans I just wonder how long it will be, if this nonsense is allowed to go ahead, before we see Abu Dhabi Scousers, Hong Kong Hotspurs, etc. I've a;so seen it suggested that greater on-field, in-play automated decision making technologies could be implemented along with rule changes such as extra points for goals scored from outside the penalty box, and removal of the offside rule. The whole concept is based on greed and total control. If UEFA, FIFA, the FA, PFA et al dont clamp down on this totally then the beautiful game as we know it is gone, There can be no compromise as the people pushing this do not understand the meaning of the word and certainly could not be trusted to honour any such agreement.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
So now all six English clubs have withdrawn from the ESL. That was quick. Was it something somebody said? ;)

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Interesting that all the club owners are apologising to their fans and expressing regret for the pain caused. As if they didn’t realise the implications already. It shows either naivety or cynicism and I would never accuse foreign football club owners of naivety.

The government has a great chance to reform the rules regarding football ownership and finances. I hope they take it before these clubs make their next move, which surely inevitable.

Last edited:

drwhoman

Interesting that all the club owners are apologising to their fans and expressing regret for the pain caused. As if they didn’t realise the implications already. It shows either naivety or cynicism and I would never accuse foreign football club owners of naivety.

The government has a great chance to reform the rules regarding football ownership and finances. I hope they take it before these clubs make their next move, which surely inevitable.
I like to think you are being a little pessimistic BBTC. football is so engrained in the National culture that a breakaway like this will never be accepted by fans. The CL changes are an attempt to find a half way house. If the owners do not like the situation then they have a simple alternative - sell! From what I read FSG, for example, would make a huge profit if they found the right buyer.