• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Euro 2020

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Fair result, the Scots probably closest to scoring. Not sure Southgate got his starting line-up right, Kane has been really off the boil so far and taking Foden off for Grealish rather than one of the defensive midfielders suggests Gareth happy enough with a draw.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd like to see a better performance against the Czechs to give me some hope in the quarters. I don't think we've been great in the last two games. It is a young side though and you wonder if they will struggle with the pressure and expectation.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought we played well against Croatia, but as ever with the English media (and some ex-players), Southgate goes from hero to zero in the space of a couple of games.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
There is some real talent in the squad but at the moment we are not seeing the best of it. The build up play was very laboured and in the main was easy to defend against. We have improved under Southgate but last night was a step back. He strikes me as a cautios coach rather than being bold and if you look at our results recently the lack of chances created and goals scored reflect this

How Sterling was left on was bizzare, he hardly looked to take a man on and frankly should have been taken off at half time. Kane to me doesn’t look fit.

Player
Manager
John King
I am not sure the poor performance had much to do with tactics or personnel. The same personnel and system was used against a better Croatian side and the performance was fine.

I think the pressure and expectation got to a very young squad and they failed to perform, and the hysterical reaction to the performance in some quarters won't help in that regard. The players need to be given the space to go and play.

I think Kane is preoccupied by his transfer.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Croatia are no big shakes now and have ageing players as opposed to England’s fairly young squad. I do agree that the occasion and hype surrounding the game probably affected their performance yesterday.

The worry is that if Kane, our main goal threat is preoccupied and off his game, where will the goals come from?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Croatia are no big shakes now and have ageing players as opposed to England’s fairly young squad. I do agree that the occasion and hype surrounding the game probably affected their performance yesterday.

The worry is that if Kane, our main goal threat is preoccupied and off his game, where will the goals come from?
Rashford or Calvert-lewin could start instead of Kane

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Rashford maybe OK, Calvert-Lewin I'm not so sure..

Player
Manager
John King
I think we would need Kane fit and firing to reach the later stages. The balance of the side does not look right without him.

Alun

Player
Eddie Dagger Roberts
What a load of rubbish , England very poor and Scotland nothing to get excited about, if the could not beat England, looked two very poor sides.

Alun

Player
Eddie Dagger Roberts
I am not sure the poor performance had much to do with tactics or personnel. The same personnel and system was used against a better Croatian side and the performance was fine.

I think the pressure and expectation got to a very young squad and they failed to perform, and the hysterical reaction to the performance in some quarters won't help in that regard. The players need to be given the space to go and play.

I think Kane is preoccupied by his transfer.
After last nights game, I hope Mickey changes his mind about putting a bid in for Kane.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Bizarre stuff the Billy Gilmour Covid situation! Mount and Chilwell isolating but no Scots needing to do so. Steve Clarke's cuddle doesn't count as close contact? I struggle to believe that Gilmour didn't have closer contact with any of the Scotland party than he did with his Chelsea team mates. Having said that, it's a real shame for the lad himself. In an equally straightforward manner the wonders of having 4 of 6 3rd placed teams qualifying means England are already guaranteed a place in the last 16. Let's hope they can do it the right way tonight with a good win and pull the nation forward with them.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Bizarre stuff the Billy Gilmour Covid situation! Mount and Chilwell isolating but no Scots needing to do so. Steve Clarke's cuddle doesn't count as close contact? I struggle to believe that Gilmour didn't have closer contact with any of the Scotland party than he did with his Chelsea team mates. Having said that, it's a real shame for the lad himself. In an equally straightforward manner the wonders of having 4 of 6 3rd placed teams qualifying means England are already guaranteed a place in the last 16. Let's hope they can do it the right way tonight with a good win and pull the nation forward with them.
I am surprised there is no agreed UEFA protocol to handle this - but then maybe not, given the way they moved the Champions League to Portugal instead of England despite fewer cases in the UK, thereby putting officials and sponsors ahead of fans, while making a mockery of quarantine regulations.

Player
Manager
John King
I thought it was a good performance. Saka and Grealish made a big difference with their ability to receive the ball in tight areas and carry it, and we played very well in the first half. Saka man of the match by a mile, and Maguire also making a difference with his distribution. The second half was flat but we saw the game out comfortably.

To qualify without conceding a goal is impressive. Gutted for Graeme Souness that Scotland are out.......

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with Saka as MoM, not seen much of him before and impressed. Grealish doesn't live up to the hype for me and Kane still fairly anonymous.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We have not been tested at all yet in this competition. Next game should be interesting.