• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Euro 2020

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the key with Grealish is not so much that he is another Gascoigne or Charlton in terms of talent, but that he gives England something they don't otherwise have.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think the key with Grealish is not so much that he is another Gascoigne or Charlton in terms of talent, but that he gives England something they don't otherwise have.
Yes, but with Saka also causing problems and Kane already double marked, Czech Republic couldn’t surround him as they would like to. That resulted in more space up front than usual.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Grealish is the one player who constantly takes a man on and beats him and is regularly fouled leading to free kicks in dangerous positions.
As England are fairly dependent on set-pieces I suppose it works with Grealish. He’s a bit of a marmite player and while I’d happily have him at Tranmere, not a fan. In their different ways think Bellingham Foden Sancho and Sterling have more to offer.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, but with Saka also causing problems and Kane already double marked, Czech Republic couldn’t surround him as they would like to. That resulted in more space up front than usual.
He is capable of receiving the ball when he is tightly marked and wriggling away from players, the same with Saka. There were occasions last night when he was surrounded by three or four Czech players but still managed to dribble clear or draw a foul.

The Czechs defended with men behind the ball like Scotland, but Grealish and Saka created space for others by committing players, something that did not happen in the previous game.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Some real selection headaches for Mr S now! Saka was immense and there aren't many players in Europe like Grealish. He wants the ball where other players don't, loves dribbling and almost impossible to dispossess by fair means. There was some fair punditry on the TV last night; you can't win a tournament in the group stages only lose it, it is a novelty for us to get through a group stage without a rollercoaster of highs and lows, other nations will be wary of a team that hasn't conceded and that have progressed serenely. We are too hard on ourselves sometimes - how often do we look at other teams creep through a group and go on to win tournaments (Spain, Germany, Portugal) and expect it because they are "growing into the tournament" and will raise their game "when it matters"? Next game is going to be massive!

Player
Manager
John King
Some real selection headaches for Mr S now! Saka was immense and there aren't many players in Europe like Grealish. He wants the ball where other players don't, loves dribbling and almost impossible to dispossess by fair means. There was some fair punditry on the TV last night; you can't win a tournament in the group stages only lose it, it is a novelty for us to get through a group stage without a rollercoaster of highs and lows, other nations will be wary of a team that hasn't conceded and that have progressed serenely. We are too hard on ourselves sometimes - how often do we look at other teams creep through a group and go on to win tournaments (Spain, Germany, Portugal) and expect it because they are "growing into the tournament" and will raise their game "when it matters"? Next game is going to be massive!
Agree completely that some of the current criticism of Southgate is ridiculous.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Now play France and Germany going out.

3 pens in the France Portugal game 1 a total joke decision

Player
Manager
John King
I think it is actually Portugal as it stands. They have been good tonight but I would rather play them than France, who are on a different level when they step it up.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yeah Portugal though I expect Germany to score but hope they don't

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, it is Germany. I think we are capable of beating them.

Since the final in 1966, they have beaten us in the knockout stages of tournaments in 1970, 1990, 1996 and 2010 so hopefully it is our turn.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Crazy group that tonight. Germany and Portugal bottom at one stage and both go through eventually. If we can beat Germany, the road looks good as we avoid a lot of the other bigger teams until the very late stages.

Player
Manager
John King
Crazy group that tonight. Germany and Portugal bottom at one stage and both go through eventually. If we can beat Germany, the road looks good as we avoid a lot of the other bigger teams until the very late stages.
Yes, the second half of the draw is definitely weaker, with Holland the only big gun other than England and Germany. The winners next week play Sweden or Ukraine in the Quarter Final.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Totally outclassed the Danes are a handful and will take some stopping

Player
Manager
John King
I think fatigue and the relentless travelling caught up with Wales and Page was quite poor tactically as well. It is difficult to say how good the Danes are as they were not tested today.

Player
Manager
John King
Austria deservedly take Italy to extra time. Italy look very average, despite the hype surrounding them.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think fatigue and the relentless travelling caught up with Wales and Page was quite poor tactically as well. It is difficult to say how good the Danes are as they were not tested today.
The travelling is far from ideal and for me there are too many teams leading to 1 round too many