• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Euro 2020

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Not good for the heart this. But it’s what sport is all about, when your team is playing an important game.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Makes a change for us to get a penalty like that usually goes against us

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Brave and clever tactical decision to hook Grealish off.
Thought Henderson and Trippier looked composed when they came on.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We thoroughly deserved to win in the end. The penalty might not have been given by other referees. Schmeichel might have pushed the ball anywhere else but to Kane's feet. But tonight our play, tactics and attitude deserved the victory. Sometimes you need a bit of luck to get you through.

Some players were a little below par, but no-one had a bad game. Once again, the manager made the right selections - before and during the game. Ten of England's team played for two hours while Denmark changed almost half their team, but we looked lively at the end and they looked knackered. After 14 failed attempts, the country that invented football has finally reached the final of the second strongest competition in the world. Enjoy!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Superb. I thought the Danes were very solid, difficult to break down but we did it eventually and deserved the win. Roll on Sunday!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A very shaky first half where, for the first time in the tournament, nerves seemed to get the better of the players and Denmark were the better side tactically. Rice and Phillips did not get to grips with Damsgaard in midfield and the centre halves kept getting dragged out of position.

However, unlike previous England teams, the players and manager did not cave and we were the better side after half time and deserved the victory. The game management and energy levels of this squad are so unlike previous England sides. That spell of possession football at the end of extra time was the highlight for me. Sterling is our player of the tournament.

Well done to Southgate and the lads, and hopefully there is even better to come on Sunday.

Last edited:

Alun

Player
Eddie Dagger Roberts
The better team won, but they made very hard work of it, first half Denmark were the better team I thought but I thought England made the better chances Denmark`s goal from the free kick, I thought Pickford could have done better, but England responded and Stirling had a glorious chance to equalise but hit the ball straight at the goalkeeper, when anywhere else would have scored, the equalizer a couple of minutes later was a well worked goal, if the defender had not put the ball in the net then Stirling would have. Second half the Danes faded and England, largely took control but could not find the killer pass to open up the Danish defence, I thought it was a nailed on penalty when Kane was brought down in the area in the second half. In extra time there seemed only one winner if England could get a second, the penalty not for me, but it made up for the one Kane did not get in the second half. Bad penalty from Kane, but lady luck shone on him as the ball came back and he smashed the rebound in.. Italy will be a different challenge, to me Italy have been the best team in the tournament and think they will have too much for England, but England at home with 60,000 fans cheering them on , a team that Southgate has made difficult to beat, it would not surprise me in the least if England pulled it off. Get the beer in and sit and enjoy the roller coaster.

Player
aldo
Well that was good wasn't it I am tired after doing over 100 curries, and on Sunday it is free bubbly and curries and half-price booze for the whole night going to be fun

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
An interesting thought. Gareth Southgate's record as England manager is bettered only by Sir Alf Ramsey. Since Alf, we have had over a dozen experienced and successful club managers. Don Revie, Sven Goran Erikson, Fabio Capello and Roy Hodgson were all failures managing our national team. On the other hand, Southgate had no success at club level. It shows the skills required as a club and an international manager differ quite a lot.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wasn’t Sir Alf a successful manager, think at Ipswich before taking on the England job?

Player
Manager
John King
Wasn’t Sir Alf a successful manager, think at Ipswich before taking on the England job?
Yes, he won the title with Ipswich in 1962 in their first season following promotion from the Second Division. They were in Division Three South only a few years earlier.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
An interesting thought. Gareth Southgate's record as England manager is bettered only by Sir Alf Ramsey. Since Alf, we have had over a dozen experienced and successful club managers. Don Revie, Sven Goran Erikson, Fabio Capello and Roy Hodgson were all failures managing our national team. On the other hand, Southgate had no success at club level. It shows the skills required as a club and an international manager differ quite a lot.
There is a case to be made for Southgate as a more successful international manager than Ramsey, whatever happens on Sunday. International football now is far more competitive than it was in 1966, with middle ranking sides like Denmark and Croatia of a far higher standard, and Alf did not have to deal with the baggage of fifty years of failure of the England team and the far greater media scrutiny of the present day.

Your comparison of Southgate to Eriksson, Capello and the rest is interesting. I think for some of the egos that preceded him, the England job was just another salary following an illustrious club career, and they did not treat the job with the respect and diligence required, particularly with regard to building team spirit. By contrast, Southgate seems to have the temperament and absence of ego that is required.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think for some of the egos that preceded him, the England job was just another salary following an illustrious club career, and they did not treat the job with the respect and diligence required, particularly with regard to building team spirit. By contrast, Southgate seems to have the temperament and absence of ego that is required.
Absolutely. Capello and Eriksson were rubbish and has their minds elsewhere anyways. It was a well paid job for them and they couldn't lose. It was pretty bleak for England in those days. At least Southgate cares and has immense national pride. I much prefer the manager of the national team to also be from that nation. Maybe a bit of an old fasioned view but that's how it works for the players so should be the same for the manager. Delighted for Southgate, let's hope we cross the finish line on Sunday.