• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

ENGLAND CRICKET

Player
aldo
playing the irish batting first . sunny day and 42-6 what the hell are they doing its crazy . but fair play to the IRISH

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Pleased don't post depressing stuff on this website. You'll be talking about Brexit next. :( :(

Reactions: Ian
Player
aldo
at least we got them out . hoping for a better day tomoz . it also dont help there playing 6 bowlers and its gonna be 40 degrees there tomorrow that will get em sweating

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Turned out fine for England in the end.

Player
aldo
ok they bowled great today but the batting is piss poor and if they play like that against the aussies then they will get batterd

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I think England are lacking the batsmen to graft a long patient imnnings, don't think we're that bad. Should be an interesting Ashes series, which could go either way.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
The second innings turnaround is a bit like us getting beat 1-0 at home to, say, Chester and winning second leg 10-0.
Nobody's going to remember the second leg!
Think England will need to have a spell with our lads to learn about how to knuckle down when it's not looking good!

Player
aldo
the prob is we have no openers . yes we have to give roy time but he should be a num 3 jonny has an avg of 28 in last 18 tests . burns is not good enough and root had been dogey to we have been 38 to 50 for 3or4 in the last 18 tests witch is bonkers .

Player
aldo
after Englands 1st innings 67 the magnificent LEACH AND STOKES . WOW WHAT AN AFTERNOON some of the best test cricket i have ever seen amazing . and also shows that england can do it amazing wow brilliant god i need a beer . up yours Australia

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
You CANNOT do that Ben Stokes!!
There's a few leather on willow fans amongst us.
What an afternoon.
Footie match, time ticking down, if ball isn't in your half you're not going to concede.
Cricket......every ball can be a game changer.
Almost as many limbs as Wembley

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Incredible. If England had lost, the innings would have been forgotten in a few days. Now England have won, it will forever be part of cricketing folklore.

I can say I was there at Headingley in 1981 - not on the final day unfortunately, but on the Saturday. I thought all was lost. Cricket is a game where it genuinely isn't over till its over, unlike football where teams can just wind the clock down.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Cricket is a game where it genuinely isn't over till its over, unlike football where teams can just wind the clock down.
That is not really true though is it ? May 2019 proves that is not the case, let alone Barrow in 2016, or Southampton in 2001.

It was a great result for England, but the Boreham Wood game would beat it every time for me, for both drama and significance.

Player
aldo
i am getting drunk . was an amazing turn around by England shit in the first innings brilliant in the second amazing and the superb leach wow stokes was brilliant . but leach got 1 in an hour he was magnificent and sir ben words cant go there oh wow brilliant off to bed good night

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
That is not really true though is it ? May 2019 proves that is not the case, let alone Barrow in 2016, or Southampton in 2001.
I take your point, but there is a difference between sports like football and rugby where teams can gain momentum but run out of time. In sports like tennis and Test cricket, time is not of the essence, so you always have hope until the last point is won or the last wicket falls.
It was a great result for England, but the Boreham Wood game would beat it every time for me, for both drama and significance.
Agreed. As an Englishman and a cricket fan, it was dramatic and significant. However, as a Rovers fan who was at Wembley and understood the possible impact of failure, the BW game is probably the most dramatic and significant game I will ever see.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I take your point, but there is a difference between sports like football and rugby where teams can gain momentum but run out of time. In sports like tennis and Test cricket, time is not of the essence, so you always have hope until the last point is won or the last wicket falls.
I still do not really agree. By all logic England had run out of momentum and wickets at 67 all out and what followed defies reason, the same as the Barrow and Southampton games. I think both sports have the potential for great drama, regardless of the different scoring systems. Although there is the potential for comebacks like England's today, they are no more common in test cricket than teams coming from three down with five minutes to go.

I agree that the two England victories this summer were the most dramatic cricket matches of my lifetime, but I will always assert the superiority of football. ;)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
One of the greatest nocks of all time by Stokes to win a game we were dead and buried in, just goes to prove that test cricket is still the best form of the game by a long way

Player
Ryan Taylor
Not a frequent poster on here as an exile the wrong side of the Pennines, but having been to all three Wembley games and been at Headingley yesterday, thought i may chip in my tuppence worth.

Aided by an incredible atmosphere yesterday, that was an excrutiating and ecstatic day of sport at its terrible, terrible best.

From an experience point of view, only the Borehamwood game is comparable, probably given that was the year I felt we had to (and deserved) to go up, coupled with the early red stacking the deck against us. I think it's the hope that kills you in these circumstances and being dragged from agony to ecstasy in such short order...

Few sporting highs for me to compare to yesterday and superb to see Test cricket alive and well in this country.

Now I just hope next weeks trip to Rotherham isn't as hard on the nerves!