• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

End of Season awards

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I see James Norwood featured prominently, picking up Player of the Season and Supporters' Player as well as Goal of the Season. Adam Mekki won Young Player. Scott Davies was Players' Player. No arguments there and particularly nice to see our keeper's efforts did not go unnoticed by his colleagues.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Can't argue with Norwood especially given our second top scorer only has 4 or 5 goals I think . Nors with a total of 21 has won us some many points and often kept a calm head when on spot kicks.

Like BBTC I'm really pleased Davies got an award and would hope we are offering him a decent contract at the moment.

As for Mekki, may sound unfair but he was probably helped by no other youngsters either impressing or getting a chance apart from Ihikwe perhaps, certainly since Xmas. Kirby has been his frustrating self and the likes of Stockton & Margetts never got a decent chance (although the former has had plenty over the years).

Mekki on his day can be very good indeed and is probably worth another year. But I still have concerns as to him lasting 90 minutes (I'd be interested to know how many times this season he has completed a full match), and you wonder if his general fitness has prevented him establishing himself elsewhere before he came to us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
No surprises really. I share Sparkys concerns regarding Mekki.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agreed with all of the winners. It is interesting that Davies rather than norwood got the players' award, which shows just how valuable he is to us. I think you are being harsh regarding mekki, who has improved massively as the season has progressed. He can improve his fitness in the gym, and he is far more creative than the majority of the squad.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mekki has apparently started 27 games and come off the bench 11 times, scoring 4 goals. Of the 27 games, I'll be amazed if he had played the whole match for more than 10. I agree though he is probably our most creative player but I don't think we can rely on him too much over the course of a season. Although he got injured, I'd say Dawson was much more effective for that albeit short period in terms of contributions over a 90 minute period.

Whether we go up or not, I'm sure we all agree we still need more creativity from areas of the midfield.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think Mekki can really get any fitter. I think he simply tires quickly and sometimes looks like he has lead boots on. His contribution has been excellent at times don't get me wrong, but I do believe his stamina will stop him progressing any further.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
How many times has Mekki turned a match? Even if he plays for the first 60 or the last 30, he adds a different dimension. After Norwood, he's our most dangerous player.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, he's a good impact player.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm unsure if Mekki was full-time previously, from remarks Brabin has made. Maynard was similar, but his strategy is more to stroll through games, whereas Mekki tends to burn himself out in the cause. Neither are ideal.

Fitness is an issue for many of our players; Jennings taking a breather during the Welling game springs to mind. Maybe going back to running up sand dunes pre-season should be considered again.