• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Delroy Facey

• Thread starter Matthew The Rover
  • Start date
M

Matthew The Rover

Some praise actually, well, what I feel is as good as praise for him. Anyway, Facey, chases the ball round all first half, where ever it may be. Now, in the second half, he is tired (due to un-fitness) and so the ball is not being chased around all half by any Rovers players.
Now, could it be that Rovers are conceeding so many second half goals (I think it's around 8 in 11 of the last goals have been conceeded after 55 mins) because Facey is tired? Possibly because Facey cuts out passes and tracks back to get the ball in the first half, but then he isn't there in the second half.

What you think?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
you lost me there mate... :?

M

Matthew The Rover

Basically, do you think that Rovers don't conceed as many goals in the first half as the second because Facey is chasing the ball around for 45 minutes. But then in the second half, he gets tired and stops chasing it.

DixieDean

it's true that Delroy does a lot of chasing. Certainly more than anyone else does, but i'm not sure if his tiredness is the reason we are conceding late goals. The whole team is responsible for closing down. They just aren't doing their job properly.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
When it comes to 'Defending from the front' - yes it's important that your forwards are able to close down, track back, make a nuisance of themselves when we're not in possesion.

But it's not totally Facey, it's the entire team just seem to be lacking that extra bit of get-up-and-go. I doubt that as professional sportsmen who play football for 90 minutes a week as a living that it's fitness. I think it's all in the head - it's motivational. We haven't got the ability to play at our tempo throughout a game at the moment, not due to fitness, due to a lack of motivation, incentive etc.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
delroys just crap.

M

Matthew The Rover

I'd like to appoligize to Delroy. He had a fantastic game on Saturday (Scunthorpe), my man of the match. The rarity of having a striker heading the ball on and Greenacre winning it was increadible, and it made such a difference. Well done Delroy!

Griff

Yes its great when a striker chases balls down, but thats not their main concern. When a striker chases everything down, often they will get dragged out of position. A good striker knows when to leave players for the midfield to pickup.

The reason will loose goalsi n the second half is that none of our midfield, bar possibly rankin (OAP), are able to break up attacks. Often in the second half of games they piss right through us and you cant blame that on the strikers.

What would you prefer, Facey chasing everything round the pitch, or getting on the end of a ball in the box !!