• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Dave Russell

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I am sorting out my collection of football programmes to sell and I came across this article in a magazine called Football League Review, which used to be given away as an insert in most clubs' match programmes. By chance, I opened one which is exactly 50 years old this month and features Dave Russell. Dave was our first successful post war manager and is remembered fondly by fans of my age. He changed our colours from the old blue to a distinctive white (in homage to Real Madrid), oversaw the modernisation of the ground and managed our first promotion out of the fourth tier. Let's hope that's an omen!

Attachments

• Dave Russell_0001.pdf
    808.4 KB · Views: 5
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Probably our second greatest manager after Kingy, and arguably equally important for the work he did off the pitch. He would not have believed that in the mid nineties we would be a handful of points and league placings below Everton.

I hope your programmes find a good home BBTC. Have you thought about contacting the club, as I know they are always looking to add to the archive ?

drwhoman

A great Manager who also went to white to differentiate us from Everton. An era where we had some great youngsters coming through and you could also get former First Division pros such as Johnny King of course, Eddie Stuart and Dennis Stevens. They needed the money in those days! To think that I used to see Roy Sinclair on the bus going to the ground!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Probably our second greatest manager after Kingy, and arguably equally important for the work he did off the pitch. He would not have believed that in the mid nineties we would be a handful of points and league placings below Everton.

I hope your programmes find a good home BBTC. Have you thought about contacting the club, as I know they are always looking to add to the archive ?
Re Dave Russell, I had not realised his ambitions for the club, but he was very much alive when we got to the Tier 2 play-offs. He died shortly after the League Cup final, so witnessed arguably our finest achievement. Thankfully, he did not live to see us plumb the depths.

I see a parallel between Dave's reign and Micky's. Both made slow but steady progress with setbacks on the way. But each time the owners have maintained their faith and supported their man.

Thanks for the programme suggestion, RLC. I had not thought of that and I will do. If anyone has any suggestions how to shift the others, I'd appreciate them. I have about 1,000. Most are TRFC, many Liverpool, some Everton and the rest a complete mixture. The majority are 1960's. Embarrassingly, my photo was on the front cover of the LFC programme for a whole season! ;)

drwhoman

Sounds like a great collection BBTC. eBay is the obvious place particularly for any gems amongst them but you may want to also look at the wants column in the various football mags. I know that years ago programme collecting was a big thing, I had a decent collection, but, like many things, collecting does nor seem so popular today. Best of luck! I think the sale of my collection financed my social life for a while! (LOL!).