• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Danny Holmes - Leaving ?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I am absolutley staggered by this to be honest. I mean come on, yes he has come into the side and done well, although he was part of a side on an awful run for a while but I accept not his fault. He has played well overall for say two-thirds of a season, overall I would give him say 7.5 out of 10. Much better than I thought he would do as Raven did well earlier in the season but credit to him.

That said - I'm far from convinced here is a Championship player - but not his fault if bigger clubs want him. Good luck to the lad but you wonder if he has the same agent who was touting Chicken for a move to Trabsonzpor !! - but ended up on loan at Cambridge.....

You look at Cresswell as a comparison - who has gone on to established himself in a mid table Championship side - Cressa was miles better and added an attacking option.

Tranmere defender Danny Holmes looks set for a move away from Prenton Park this summer, according to agent Jonathan Hope.
The 23-year-old is out of contract this summer and a number of sides are on alert to land him on a free transfer.
Scottish Premier League side Rangers had lined up a deal for Holmes, but the move has stalled because of the club's well-documented financial problems.
"I am currently exploring options for Danny and it's a massive shame that Glasgow Rangers went into crisis or he would have been there in my opinion next season," Hope told Sky Sports News.
"Tranmere Rovers wouldn't stand in his way to step up a level to improve his career as he has been having an absolute cracking season and thanks has to go to them for that.
"I have now opened talks with three Championship clubs and a top League One club but will wait for something further to develop before going public."

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
I,d teach this stupid agent a leason ..have a word with danny, ronnie and if he believes all the BS this agent is peddling then i,d drop the guy ..

I have,nt seen many games this season but recently aginst orient and preston he had some shaky moments..

Danny deserves the best ...but you don,t expect an agent to come out so publicly marketing one of tranmere players while still under contract...

Danny has only just settled into the side imo..has,nt even had the second season sindrome yet,,and this idiot is talking a bout top flight ..is it an april fools joke !

Paul Raven is better more polished player in my apinion..!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not a fan of the modern football agent, but if Holmes gets a move to a big club in the summer, good luck to him. I will be gutted if he goes, but he has been outstanding this season and is almost certainly better than League One standard.

He suffered the set back of being released by the club as a youngster, couldn't get near the first team in the early part of the season, but has shown a great attitude to improve and re-establish himself.

I actually think he is better than Cresswell to be honest, certainly defensively.

DIW

Player
Goodison
I am not a fan of the modern football agent, but if Holmes gets a move to a big club in the summer, good luck to him. I will be gutted if he goes, but he has been outstanding this season and is almost certainly better than League One standard.

He suffered the set back of being released by the club as a youngster, couldn't get near the first team in the early part of the season, but has shown a great attitude to improve and re-establish himself.

I actually think he is better than Cresswell to be honest, certainly defensively.

Can't agree with all of this. Whilst Holmes has certainly done well (and are we all impressed because expectations were not that high?), has he been that good? Has he really been outstanding? I don't think he has. He's probably equal to Cresswell in terms of his playing but doesn't have the dead ball delivery.

I find it amazing that he's being talked up for a move at all.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I googled Jonathan Hope, Danny's agent. He doesn't seem to have many big names on his books, an ex-Real Madrid youth player at Kettering and would-be Namibian and Nepalese stars featuring in the headlines along with the Woody's finest. The advice to get a new agent would be well-founded. This public touting of the player seems more to be a way of drumming up interest.

Danny Holmes is certainly a capable player at this level, now that he has got fully match fit. However, I'm not sure how much further up the football ladder he can go, given his lack of pace, while he doesn't have the ability at set-pieces which made Cresswell seem so attractive. Steve Jennings has done fine at Motherwell and Alex Pursehouse, who wasn't deemed worth a Tranmere contract has featured for Kilmarnock, so the Scot's top flight probably isn't that much stronger than L1.

I'd prefer it if he was still at PP next season though.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
I thouhgt we had a 1-yr option on him anyway, so we can just spring that, and he has to sign?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I thouhgt we had a 1-yr option on him anyway, so we can just spring that, and he has to sign?

If we do have an option to extend his contract then he has to sign but im not sure we do have that option.

drwhoman

Danny Holmes

I am as surprised as anyone that Holmes might go. I actually wondered whether he would go ok back with us but he has performed well at Div One level. I doubt if we would want to hold him to an option, if it exists, particularly if there is a big step up in money for him. Ronnie can do without a chip on the shoulder in the dressing room. I agree with the comments about the current standard of football in Scotland. If Gavin Gunning or even Steve Jennings be a success there? At least they would have Dave Raven to replace him as I think he is on at two year contract? Might been a reprieve for Michael Kay as well although not sure about that one.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yeah I agree about Scotland - given Rangers fall from grace the quality of the league will be even poorer - although if he is playing in front of 50k fans at Ibrox each week then who could blame him - would still earn a fair bit more than at PP too.

He is probably worth a punt from another club as he will be cheap.

Assuming Ronnie stays its something he needs to look at in terms of a right back..

I am a big fan of Raven but like Devaney/Enoch/McGurk - good players but injury prone. Raven had injuries throughout his career before he came to us and the same has happened again (Paul Raven btw was a centre half at West Brom who I recall playing against us at PP in the late 1990s perhaps....)

So that may just leave us with Kay who is ok but nothing special IMO.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
When agents do this publicly it is usually to drum up interest so it doesn't mean much.

If he moves on then good luck to him, it's a short career and any opportunity you get to step up you have to take. He is a Tranmere fan though so I don't think he'll leave unless it is a good career move. For what it's worth I think he's as good as Andy Taylor, no better no worse.