• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Dale v Rovers

Match result

• Rochdale

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Very little creativity, no spark, no pace, no goals, we look along way off being a team who will challenge for promotion

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Full time and a deserved defeat on the balance of the whole match. Despite hitting the woodwork twice today, 2 goals in 7 league games says it all really. Nowhere near good enough.

a lot of work to do on the training ground to make us more dangerous in the final third but I fear we just don’t have enough good players in those areas. Hopefully Murphy injury isn’t serious although doohan did ok

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As Mart says we have no pace and it’s so depressing to watch

frenchrover

Player
aldo
No threat until we were a goal down....just not good enough....no pace, no creativity....no goals AGAIN. We are going nowhere with this squad.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They need to seriously find a way of scoring goals. We will not win many with these tactics. Playing five at the back and one up front, a kid from the Northern counties league or wherever he has come from, it not good enough. Is it the personal that is forcing Mellon to play this way because it is absolutely dreadful to watch?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We are paying the price for our poor recruitment in attacking positions, Mani now doesn't get a look in, Glatzel again unused

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Mani, Glatzel, Nevitt, all not good enough from what I have seen. That leaves us with Maynard.. It's going to be a long season.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I read the post about the combined ages between the teams, and I posted how a team built around experience, were most likely to concede in the last ten minutes of the game.
Stamina goes, engine stalls, fitness levels, energy levels and more importantly tiredness of the brain and effects the concentration levels.
The balance of the team is not good enough, no creativity, no attacking shape, no idea. No hope!
As Ian said, it's going to be a long season.
The lack of performance in making chances is really concerning.
We do not deserve a team as bad as this.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Same old story. Our team is too old and too slow. This is going to be pretty much the way of what will be a very, very long season. Also turgid to watch.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I read the post about the combined ages between the teams
Clarke has played nearly more games than the whole of the Rochdale team! I still think the older guys can play a part but we must find a better system. Can it be done with the current personnel? I think it can but there are quite a few changes needed. We need to stop messing around with three big lumps at the back, it is causing too much pressure on the defence due to the lack of midfield. Morris needs to be replaced with anyone as I cannot see them being any worse in his current position, absolute waste playing as a wing back. We also need two up front. I do feel sorry for Nevitt as he is putting a shift in, but I do not think he has the quality needed anyway plus he is in no mans land up there.

What about Jolley , Burton or Walker , any options there ?
Walker we have not seen yet, but they are unproven, young players. I would be very surprised if they had the quality needed. Glatzel came with a good reputation and I do not think he is ready for league two either.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
That was a very disheartening performance. I am getting seriously worried, unless we turn things around quickly then real prospect of a relegation battle looms.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Clarke has played nearly more games than the whole of the Rochdale team! I still think the older guys can play a part but we must find a better system. Can it be done with the current personnel? I think it can but there are quite a few changes needed. We need to stop messing around with three big lumps at the back, it is causing too much pressure on the defence due to the lack of midfield. Morris needs to be replaced with anyone as I cannot see them being any worse in his current position, absolute waste playing as a wing back. We also need two up front. I do feel sorry for Nevitt as he is putting a shift in, but I do not think he has the quality needed anyway plus he is in no mans land up there.

Walker we have not seen yet, but they are unproven, young players. I would be very surprised if they had the quality needed. Glatzel came with a good reputation and I do not think he is ready for league two either.
This is league 2. I am sure Glatzel and Walker in particular are more than good enough to operate at this level.

Interesting to note that Scunthorpe got beat 0-4 at home today. Really puts into perspective how bad we are at this point in time.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
This is league 2. I am sure Glatzel and Walker in particular are more than good enough to operate at this level.

Interesting to note that Scunthorpe got beat 0-4 at home today. Really puts into perspective how bad we are at this point in time.
Yes but glatzel was shunted out on the left all pre season and at the start and looked really uncomfortable there

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Yes but glatzel was shunted out on the left all pre season and at the start and looked really uncomfortable there
Thats a good point, and another one of the issues we have. Players being played out of position week in week out. Play people in their strongest positions. I do wonder why some of these players are signed / loaned in if the consensus is that they are not good enough for this level.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, true but I can pretty much guarantee you that even if he did play is his preferred position, he would not get us the goals we need. You cannot expect a kid with no real professional games to his name to start banging them in at this level. Same can be said of Nevitt. We need experienced players, ones that have done it at this level and above and have proved they are capable.

As @bigmart mentions above, the recruitment was a shambles really.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes I agree Ian. Recruitment in the forward areas has been shocking. Add to that the likes of Feeney who aren’t good enough

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Take away Hawkes shot, great effort as it was, and the last few minutes when we finally decided to give it a go (although they were probably content to hang on to what they’d got), that was mediocrity at best and little to get excited about. Rochdale deserved the win on the balance of play and their adventurous style; adventurous is certainly something you couldn’t use when describing us.
Ah well, another ground ticked off for my son; seems donkeys years ago that we saw us last win away at Shrewsbury and actually score some goals!
My double-amputee granny could have put that last chance away!
Great away following, again, although became more muted as the game went on, which was hardly surprising; it’s damn hard to mute that lot, but we did a good job of it today.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

drwhoman

How disappointing. What is the average age of the team? We seem to have acquired a player group, many of whom will be on their last contracts debating what they do next and not thinking about possible life in L1. We can discuss the team structure and playing style but this may well be reflective of what works with the individuals in the squad. Even with a fit Maynard the issue seems to be creativity. Some of the midfield players have had successful careers but they are now in the twilight and it shows. As some have said it will be a long season and then, depressingly, MM will have to largely rebuild the squad again.