• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Cumbrians v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
What a fantastic result that is. Credit to the lads coming from behind twice and then winning it: defensively much better second half defending all those corners and OConnor did so well they took Amauri off. Ray did enough to keep Manny out and Nugent showed what he is about with a great pass to Vaughan for the winner (would someone like Ferrier have done the same?).
MOM for me was Vaughan with two goals and heading one off the line but lots of good performances again all round.

Brilliant result. Up to 5th and 4 points off the top

Reactions: Ian
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A fantastic result against a very strong side, who we have now completed the double over. You could argue a draw would have been fair on the overall balance of play, but having been criticised for his substitutions on Saturday, Hill's changes in the second half made the difference tonight.

In the first twenty of minutes of the half we struggled to get into the opposition half, albeit we defended well, but Morris gave us more composure on the ball and allowed us to get up the pitch. The Nugent substitution was also inspired and he showed his class in his brief cameo, with a great lay off in the build up to the goal, and then the slide rule assist for Vaughan to finish.

Man of the match was probably Woolery, who tormented them all night, but Vaughan delivered once again. I also thought Feeney, MacDonald and Morris in particular had good games, and O'Connor did fine when he came on. Ray did not put a foot wrong at centre back.

At five past seven I was fearing the worst, but we are now right back in the title race.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
All to play for in the race for automatic promotion, difficult conditions and these are the nights you lack back on come the end of the season hopefully

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Great result for us - in fact a great set of results with Salford and Cambridge losing. Without getting my slide rule out (that shows my age!), I think we are in the top three on PPG, for what it’s worth.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Fantastic. That is exactly the type of performance I wanted to see from them after the last few games. The lads really dug deep tonight, worked hard and grinded out the result which is exactly what you need to do at times. Conditions were horrible, we weren't looking great defensively having gone behind twice but the belief was there and they never gave up. I agree with RLC, I thought Woolery shaded it for MOTM, he was a threat all game but they all played their part tonight.

Bit of class from Nugent at the end was great to see. Showed great experience and vision to set Vaughan up.

Quick word on the referee who I thought was really good too. He let the game flow, wasn't whistle happy and pretty much let the players play.

Delighted and the league table as Sparky points out is looking much better now :)

Player
aldo
wow, what a great result and amazing pass from Nugent we need more from the old man just need to sort that defense out, and we have two games in hand on Cambridge bring it on it's great that we have two forwards scoring goals the Little Messi and James the assassin Vaughn,,Hill has won 14 of 21 in charge not to bad

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Great win for Rovers. I finally managed to watch an ifollow away game successfully too. We were hanging on for a long period in the second half, but started to get more possession after Kieron Morris came and then Nugent used all his experience to lay the ball on for Vaughan's winner. It makes things at the top very interesting.

I'm not entirely sure how much credit to give KH for the substitutions. Nelson's was enforced through injury, but there was more evidence, if we needed it, that Sid is not a right-back. O'Connor defended solidly when he came on and should have started. I wasn't totally convinced that Danny Lloyd should have been recalled after Morris' decent game at the weekend and the way Lloyd faded after a bright first half suggested he wasn't fully over the illness. However the Nugent for Woolery switch was inspired, even though I didn't think so at the time.

MoM for me was Woolery. He can sometimes go missing, but was popping up all over the place tonight and took his goal well. Vaughan was only a notch behind, 2 goals and a critical header off our line when the game was level.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Feeney with another assist and a great ball to Nugent for the winner.

Does make you wonder why Blackpool got rid of Feeney especially when he was the top assist maker in the FL last season. He’s on loan isn’t he so please god no chance he could ever be recalled

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Does make you wonder why Blackpool got rid of Feeney especially when he was the top assist maker in the FL last season. He’s on loan isn’t he so please god no chance he could ever be recalled
I think it's down to the formation they play coupled with his poor scoring record and age, read an interesting article along these lines when Feeney was sent out on loan to us

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The thing with Feeney is he is still deceptively quick and mobile, regardless of his age. Not exactly ready for the knacker's yard !

drwhoman

The thing with Feeney is he is still deceptively quick and mobile, regardless of his age. Not exactly ready for the knacker's yard !
Critchley coming from managing the Liverpool Under 23s is probably more keen on promoting youth as a longer term strategy but not complaining. Not sure why MacDonald was let go but there we are!

frenchrover

Player
aldo
An excellent performance in dreadful conditions which I thought we used extremely well to our advantage particularly in the first half when facing the gale force wind we were able to break quickly from defence knowing the ball would hold up for our forwards to run onto. And boy did it work. It took a little longer in the second half before we were able to gauge the weight of pass necessary to break through their defensive line but our perseverance paid off. Quite a few contenders for MOM but for me it was James Vaughan for his goals and for his goal line clearance. In fact other than the winning goal, of course, that goal line clearance was the Moment of the Match for me, for had that gone in I fear the result on the night might have gone against us. Now on to Orient and more of the same please, performance-wise, not weather-wise,;)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not sure why MacDonald was let go but there we are!
I think they favoured another player at the time, can't remember who, but their loss is our gain.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That's the beauty with some of these players. They have really good engines and can run. Woolery and Feeney running at you must terrify defences at times regardless of their age. I think some people think because of their age, there legs have gone. Far from it. Look at Clarke. He's going through a revival at Tranmere when some people had said he was past it at Oldham. He's playing some of his best football in years.

Same can be said of Spearing and Vaughan. The spine of the team is excellent.

drwhoman

That's the beauty with some of these players. They have really good engines and can run. Woolery and Feeney running at you must terrify defences at times regardless of their age. I think some people think because of their age, there legs have gone. Far from it. Look at Clarke. He's going through a revival at Tranmere when some people had said he was past it at Oldham. He's playing some of his best football in years.

Same can be said of Spearing and Vaughan. The spine of the team is excellent.
That pass from Nugent and the anticipation from Vaughan were top quality!

Player
aldo
some good signs of a good partnership their if they get the chance the options up top are super cool now