• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Crawley v Rovers

Match result

• Crawley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Crawley v Rovers
Posted by Ian
The People's Pension Stadium
Saturday, January 22, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, January 22, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

frenchrover

Player
aldo
A great result, a stunning goal from Spearing and a brilliant performance from the whole squad.

Player
aldo
Bring on the Vegans, Let us shove our meat in them and steak a claim for the Title,LOL,just to get one over Vince would be good

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
OConnor maybe doesn’t have the height to play CB but as I think Boz or BBTC have said many times we need some cover at centre back. Davies does have some injury history but hopefully it’s nothing serious
Always thought O'Connor could double up as standby for Spearing when thoughts were we may be short in that department. CB might be a stretch though. However I often think Foley might fit in if ever we played 3 at the back - rather than play all recognised CBs. He's tall enough, good athlete and as midfielder he'll be ok on the ball.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Always thought O'Connor could double up as standby for Spearing when thoughts were we may be short in that department. CB might be a stretch though. However I often think Foley might fit in if ever we played 3 at the back - rather than play all recognised CBs. He's tall enough, good athlete and as midfielder he'll be ok on the ball.
It sounded like Foley was fairly comfortable in central defence, but he's really needed for midfield cover, especially given Watson's departure. I think O'Connor has played occasionally in a back 3 for us, but agree that lack of height and the fact he's doing so well in central midfield; radio had him as MoM today. One thing we could thank Hill for, showing Lee could do a job in that position. I'd still like to see us bring another central defender in though.

Player
aldo
let,s just get the few boys back and all will be good Roll on the biggest game of the season next week imagine if it was at their place it would be sold out weeks ago and on their forum some are saying who is going will be Lucky if they get close to 100

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It sounded like Foley was fairly comfortable in central defence, but he's really needed for midfield cover, especially given Watson's departure. I think O'Connor has played occasionally in a back 3 for us, but agree that lack of height and the fact he's doing so well in central midfield; radio had him as MoM today. One thing we could thank Hill for, showing Lee could do a job in that position. I'd still like to see us bring another central defender in though.
Hill only played O'Connor in central midfield once in a Pizza Cup game, and nearly always started him at right back. It is Mellon who should get credit for converting him to midfield on a permanent basis, and he has looked a completely different player this season.

Player
Manager
John King
A complete away performance.

I thought our game management, organisation and discipline were superb today. I thought this would be a tricky fixture and I was concerned when I saw that Davies was missing, but we held Crawley at arm's length all game and I can't remember a single genuine chance they created in open play. As has been commented, Foley looked very comfortable at centre half. The victory was more comfortable than the scoreline suggests, and we had two or three good chances in addition to the goal, with McPake firing narrowly wide after a lovely give and go with Hemmings, and Nevitt having two chances which he should really have done better with. We are a well honed winning machine.

Individually, I thought McPake grew in confidence as the game progressed, and was gliding past players in the second half as he did for Harrogate last season. Both O'Connor and MacDonald were superb again, but my man of the match was Spearing, who gave a complete midfield display and scored the winning goal. Charlie Jolley had his first difficult game in the first team, finding life difficult against their physical centre halves, but he will come again.

Our defensive work as a team really is superb at the moment. and it will take a very good team to beat us at present.

Player
aldo
listing to MM and Jay the young child had A heart attack in midweek, wow get well young one, mm did, say he will be alright,so loads of love and god bless

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hill only played O'Connor in central midfield once in a Pizza Cup game, and nearly always started him at right back. It is Mellon who should get credit for converting him to midfield on a permanent basis, and he has looked a completely different player this season.
O’Connor rarely started as full-back under Hill, who preferred Otis Khan or even on one occasion Sid Nelson as right-back. He did play a few league games last season in midfield, mostly as the base of a diamond, along with the Pizza Cup games you mention. Some of his starts were as part of a back 3. So while I don’t like the man, it’s not wrong to recognise Hill’s part in spotting Lee’s potential for playing in the middle and there were plaudits last season for some of his performances in that role.

This season, maybe thanks to Dawes/Parky for bringing O’Connor’s versatility to MM’s notice when considering loan players to bring in. Certainly credit for Micky recognising his ability and developing him in the midfield role. There have even been some games where Lee has surpassed the midfield maestro that is Jay Spearing.

Player
Manager
John King
fieldO’Connor rarely started as full-back under Hill, who preferred Otis Khan or even on one occasion Sid Nelson as right-back. He did play a few league games last season in midfield, mostly as the base of a diamond, along with the Pizza Cup games you mention. Some of his starts were as part of a back 3. So while I don’t like the man, it’s not wrong to recognise Hill’s part in spotting Lee’s potential for playing in the middle and there were plaudits last season for some of his performances in that role.

This season, maybe thanks to Dawes/Parky for bringing O’Connor’s versatility to MM’s notice when considering loan players to bring in. Certainly credit for Micky recognising his ability and developing him in the midfield role. There have even been some games where Lee has surpassed the midfield maestro that is Jay Spearing.
Hill clearly did not particularly rate O'Connor. He was a bit part player during his tenure, and was only used in midfield when Spearing was injured or we were resting players. He would never have been a key member of the midfield as he has become under Mellon.

O'Connor described himself as a right back / defensive midfielder when he first arrived, so that was not a great tactical spot by Hill.

He also started more games at right back under Hill, contrary to your post.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hill clearly did not particularly rate O'Connor. He was a bit part player during his tenure, and was only used in midfield when Spearing was injured or we were resting players. He was not a key member of the midfield as he has become under Mellon.

He also started more games at right back under Hill rather than in midfield, contrary to your post.
I agree with your first sentence. During Hill's tenure he used Macdonald, Khan and even Nelson once at right-back, when O'Connor was available. It was only towards the end of his stint that he belatedly recognised that Lee was capable of doing a job in that position.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
RLC and Boz, you are splitting hairs. You agree with about 80% of what the other person is saying, so why not leave it at that? The rest isn't worth arguing about. Both Hill and Mellon have contributed to O'Connor's progress (directly or indirectly) and I expect Dawes and Parky have also done a lot.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Was going to take some credit myself before Hill Boz. I proferred Lee as a solution when if was feared we didn't have back up for Spearing. Must be great for Mickey to have a couple of versatile types who can do more than just a job for him in an alien position.