• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Crawley v Rovers

Crawley v Rovers
Posted by Ian
The People's Pension Stadium
Saturday, May 4, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, May 4, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
From enthusiastic about the line-up at the start to indifferent at the end. Maybe it wasn’t such a good pick by MM after all? I agree it’s of little consequence and thankfully it appears all the key players have come through unscathed. Would still like to hear Micky’s rational for the absence from the matchday 18 of Nelson and Mullin if they weren’t injured.
Why are you so concerned about Nelson and Mullin ? All that mattered was that they were not injured in today's game. I am as enthusiastic now about today' s line up as I was at 3 pm. Anybody would think you are just trying to find things to be negative about......

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Why are you so concerned about Nelson and Mullin ? All that mattered was that they were not injured in today's game. I am as enthusiastic now about today' s line up as I was at 3 pm. Anybody would think you are just trying to find things to be negative about......
Both could have benefitted with some game time, assuming they weren’t injured. ADD also was bemused at the starting xi. It’s unlike you to be reticent about why you thought it was a good line up, unless seeing them in action had caused a re-think, which you’ve now indicated it didn’t. I don’t think trying to understand why my team’s lined up in a certain way amounts to negativity.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree with RLC, who is also lost for words. It was a dispiriting performance. There's not much I could say, even less I want to.

In summary, we were well off the pace and could hardly string three passes together. Crawley were first to the ball most of the time. It was even Stevens for the first quarter with the hosts looking very much like a mid-table side and the visitors unable to take advantage. Our only chance was a Jonnie Smith header hit tamely at the keeper. After that, gradually Crawley took control and scored twice as described above. Their first goal was the first shot on target from either side.

Just after half-time, Jonnie found Bucko on an overlap and the full-back was chopped down in the area. He set the ball up to take the penalty himself but then deferred to Nors, who sent the keeper the wrong way. (BTW, how many goals has Nors now scored for us? It must be nearing the 100.) Unfortunately, hopes of an equaliser quickly evaporated as Crawley looked the more likely to score - and so it proved when in stoppage time the ball was lost in midfield and their forward was clean through with only Macca to chase him.

There were quite a few issues with our performance. Our midfield was never in control. Playing with two wingers and three youngsters, we tended to get overrun despite Perkins' best efforts. Micky realised this and brought on Banks and Jennings for Smith and Tollitt, but soon after withdrew Perkins for Morris and we looked no better. Manny was solid as usual and it was good to see Macca back to full fitness, but losing Caprice and Ellis has left us short of pace at the back. The only player with any speed in the defence (Zoom) had a poor game and his passing was atrocious. Nors and Daggers tried hard but had only occasional scraps to feed on. I felt sorry for Ben, who played sensibly and did a lot to protect Zoom from the dangerous Morais, but just after he had had a chance to show his speed he was taken off. Has he played his last game for us? I hope not. MoM? Not awarded, as no-one deserved it, although I thought Manny was the best of a poor bunch.

I have seen worse refs and his occasional inconsistency did not cost either side but his booking of Buxton was harsh, particularly as an even worse challenge by their defender did not even earn a free-kick.

I am disappointed with the display but not disturbed. Remember the players have been under intense pressure with the four "cup finals" and some easing off was inevitable. I don't think it will affect morale for the play-offs and we now have a few more match fit players to involve.

One of the few positives is that Crawley's is one of my favourite grounds. It is modern but not lacking in character. The away area is large and you can choose to sit or stand. The catering is reasonably priced and the service pleasant. And where else can you park free within a two minute walk of the ground? Another plus was the fantastic away support, making up nearly a quarter of the attendance.

Now, let's draw a line under that game and move on to the play-offs against three sides we have not beaten this season. It will be tough, but should not be beyond us.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
Both could have benefitted with some game time, assuming they weren’t injured. ADD also was bemused at the starting xi. It’s unlike you to be reticent about why you thought it was a good line up, unless seeing them in action had caused a re-think, which you’ve now indicated it didn’t. I don’t think trying to understand why my team’s lined up in a certain way amounts to negativity.
My only real concern before the game was that Perkins played sixty minutes to improve his fitness, which is what happened. We had to rotate elsewhere, but you can debate endlessly precisely which players should have been left out. Ultimately Mellon had to use a core of senior players, to comply with the rules and respect 800 travelling fans, and I was happy with the ones that started. If think MM would have liked to field a youth team but couldn't.

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not even having Mullin on the bench was a surprise especially as he is effectively second choice striker. We may need him in the play offs if things are going against us. Can only assume he was injured and not risked. Similarly with Nelson - McNulty isn’t up to it at this level ao Nelson and manny are our centre halves and if one of them got injured we’d be in trouble. So again I assume Sid was rested.

Shame for Tollit but he’s counting the days now when he can leave and sign for Wrexham. It’s a real shame when u think how good he was for us but that’s football. Hope he do well at Wrexham if he goes there as suspected.

Early days but with perky fit, Will Micky go with Jennings behind Nors v FGR in a sort of 4-4-1-1? guessing he will

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Do we still have a youth team? ;)

Seriously, I was pleased to see so many squad players given a run out. Assuming Nelson and Mullin were injured, the only other player I would have liked to have seen was Luke Pilling. But I think we have to trust Micky's judgement. He knows best what his players need and what he wants to achieve. We don't know the half of what goes on behind the scenes. For example, it's obvious that Nors can't stand to be idle and just has to play - even when half-fit and likely to move on. He always gives 100% and was desperate to take the penalty today. We need to judge the manager by overall results, not by the quirks of team selection.

Player
Manager
John King
Not even having Mullin on the bench was a surprise especially as he is effectively second choice striker. We may need him in the play offs if things are going against us. Can only assume he was injured and not risked. Similarly with Nelson - McNulty isn’t up to it at this level ao Nelson and manny are our centre halves and if one of them got injured we’d be in trouble. So again I assume Sid was rested.

Shame for Tollit but he’s counting the days now when he can leave and sign for Wrexham. It’s a real shame when u think how good he was for us but that’s football. Hope he do well at Wrexham if he goes there as suspected.

Early days but with perky fit, Will Micky go with Jennings behind Nors v FGR in a sort of 4-4-1-1? guessing he will
I agree about Tollitt Sparky. Did not look interested today and just is not good enough for us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
No point looking too deep into today's game as we all knew it was a non event. Let's look towards the two huge games coming up.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
You only need to look back at the last two games last season. Kids in one, virtually full strength in the other and we lost them both!
I'm with BBTC....in Micky I trust. His third season of looking at squad in readiness for play offs. Been there, done that.......

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mullin's missus is having a baby hence his absence plus Nelson has a slight knock so no risks taken.

Micky cleared annoyed that some players who were given an opportunity didnt give what they should have done.

Anyway - move on to Friday now and lets get PP full !

Player
Manager
John King
A pretty ragged performance, as would be expected given the starting line up. Aside from giving Perkins valuable match time, the only benefit of today's game was that it confirmed that several of the squad players are not good enough to wear a Rovers shirt. I think a few individuals played their last game for Rovers today.

I thought we were ok going forward for the majority of the game, with Norwood a constant threat in behind. However, defensively we were poor and at times shambolic. Gilmour does not have the physical presence yet to play in a two-man midfield and, with Perky struggling for match fitness, there was little protection for the back four. On the left hand side Zoum had a poor game and was not helped by Tollitt's failure to track back and assist him. Macca started the game confidently but showed signs of wear and tear when we came under concerted pressure at the end of the first half. The performance did improve significantly in the last half an hour when the big guns were brought on and we got a measure of control in midfield. However, by then the damage had been done, with Crawley's third goal coming from a classic counter as we pushed in vain for an equaliser.

Individually, few of the squad players impressed. Jonny Smith did not have his greatest game, but was lively in the first half and demonstrated why he is capable of cutting it in league football. By contrast, Ben Tollitt was largely anonymous and will surely move on in the summer. Dagnall contributed next to nothing in the first period, but was more involved when we made the personnel changes. Zoum was poor, with some wayward distribution and questionable defending. On the positive side, I thought Buxton had a solid game at right back.

A twelve hour round trip to watch that stuff.... On to Friday and some proper football.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Sympathies to those who made such a long trip to watch such an awful game!
Good accurate match reports, albeit nothing much positive to take from the game. We had looked forward to having a look at the squad players who rarely start but as said they did little Buxton apart to show they can make a contribution. In particular was disappointed with Chris Dagnall who tried hard but his physical reaction just did not seem to keep pace with his mental intent.
To be honest it does underline that despite a very large squad we are in evolution and there wil be a need to put sentiment to one side and work hard on adding quality over the coming months.
Great turnout by the SWA again for such a meaningless game with all the sunbrero's and stick on Mexican tacches at least lightening the mood. Despite yesterday really excited to be part of the playoffs; who would have thought!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for the reports. Whether we go up or not, as ever there will be some surgery to the squad

ADD

Player
Norwood
Fair comments all round. Players huffed and puffed but for sure had one eye on Friday. As said above Tollitt has played his last game for us for sure. He really was not up to it mentally or physically and interestingly when substituted he ignored MM and Jacko completely! McNulty did ok but his lack of pace means he has hopefully played his last game for us also. I say that not nastily but because I think only if Sid or Manny are injured will he be playing going forward. His service to the club however has been outstanding. Summed up by MM when asked in post match interview how the returnees did. He batted away the question and simply said everyone there could see for themselves!! Less is more sometimes....
Final one for me - and maybe a bit of kidology but MM professed to be happy at being at home first so players could get home early and and not be getting back in the early hours of the morning if we had been away first! Here's hoping all the players with niggles are good to go on Friday and the referee for once does something about FGR's horrible cheating/ gamesmanship!

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I understand that time is catching up with McNulty, fairly sure that experienced defensive quartet have played together before, so more disappointed that things didn't click with them than the problems with squad players elsewhere. As everyone has said a largely meaningless game.

I'd think our best chance of getting to the final is by getting a lead to take to Forest Green, they're well capable of using the dark arts to stifle our game.

Player
Manager
John King
I'd think our best chance of getting to the final is by getting a lead to take to Forest Green,
Yes, I agree. I think even a single goal victory in the first leg would be a good result. We have shown this season that we can be solid away from home against good sides - MK Dons and Lincoln being obvious examples - but we are less good at chasing games.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Players who played their last game for us yesterday:

Big Mac (no disrespect to him as he has been a great servant and could be offered a coaching role)
Zoum
Tollitt
Dagnall

Reactions: Ian

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

Big Mac (no disrespect to him as he has been a great servant and could be offered a coaching role)
Zoum
Tollitt
Dagnall

The one I would consider maybe keeping would be Zoom, the problem being he has had a few injuries this season and has struggled during the second half of the season, the rest I agree with

Player
Manager
John King
The one I would consider maybe keeping would be Zoom, the problem being he has had a few injuries this season and has struggled during the second half of the season, the rest I agree with
I agree about Zoum up to a point. However, I think left back is our weakest position and Mellon will bring somebody else in and keep Ridehalgh - who he has always quite liked - to compete with him.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume

Zoum
Tollitt
Dagnall
Have you some inside information on this? I'd have thought with our defensive injuries Steve would probably make the bench in the play-offs and likewise Daggers as an attacking option and given recent lack of luck with injuries, they might well get called on.