• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FA Cup Crawley v Rovers (FA Cup 1st Round)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was a solid defensive performance and we deserved to win the game.

When I saw the starting line up I thought it was a 'back to basics' approach from Mellon and so it proved, with Spearing and O'Connor sitting in front of the back four and NKP recalled. O'Connor had a good game and protected the defence well, particularly in the full back areas, and KP was solid and won the majority of his aerial duels. We were not exactly scintillating on the ball, particularly in the first half when there was still an obvious lack of confidence, but our defensive shape was much better than last week and we looked comfortable at the back. As soon as we scored the opening goal I felt confident we would win the game: Crawley had a lot of possession and huffed and puffed in the second half, but we restricted them to half chances.

For all the talk of clueless tactics and selection, Mellon's approach was spot on in the circumstances and we ground out the result.

Individually, I thought Watson looked more comfortable playing as a genuine number ten behind Nevitt. He has not got the game intelligence to run box to box like Foley, but looked better in his preferred position. There was a lack of understanding between MacDonald and Feeney at times, particularly in the first half, but the back four was generally solid. Doohan had very little to do, but produced a superb save from a set piece in the second half and justified his selection.

Man of the match, Callum MacMananan: he produced a moment of quality for the goal and played well both going forward and defensively. He offers more than many people suggest.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Important win for confidence and financially, hopefully a home draw next round
That is partly down to Hawkes' absence, but also loss of confidence, which will hopefully start to return after today's victory.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interesting interview from Micky. Best summed up as being determined to get the win, which fair play we did. It will be intriguing to see how we set up for the home games, will this kind of line-up become the norm at least until January or will there be a more attacking xi? Think we’re as good as through in the Pizza Cup so maybe some more experimentation v Oldham.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for the report RLC. Re mcmanaman I just think people expect more as it was his first goal since the opening day of the season. He came as a big name (quite literally!), and hasn’t done as much as I was expecting but hopefully now the goal will give him a boost

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It’s always better to hear Micky after a win. Once again, he got the tactics spot on. Sometimes I think those who criticise him forget that he is excellent at that - knowing when and how to change things. He will get even better now he knows what his players are capable of. When things go wrong, I think it’s usually not because of the tactics, it’s because the players don’t follow them!

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
It’s always better to hear Micky after a win. Once again, he got the tactics spot on. Sometimes I think those who criticise him forget that he is excellent at that - knowing when and how to change things. He will get even better now he knows what his players are capable of. When things go wrong, I think it’s usually not because of the tactics, it’s because the players don’t follow them!
My first match since August. It was wonderful to come away from Crawley with a win after several visits without success previously. To be honest it will go down as one of the least exciting FA cup ties and was pretty tedious at times but we were professional and managed the game well. The referee wasn’t a ‘homer’ which helped. Seemed a game between two very average teams but who cares we are in the hat and and as said something to build on and a win sure does make the weekend a happy time!
Haven’t seen Hawkes except in highlights but hopefully he makes the difference as in my view we are fine on technical ability but really short on pace, drive and energy to create much. First time seen Nevitt and impressed by his hold up play and touch considering the big step up: could well turn into something. Thought NKP had a really good game reading play and was very solid. Agree Watson did quite well and was so much better in the more advanced role. Bit out of touch lately but surprised not to see Merrie involved as he had a good game when I saw him play - what’s going on with him? Also was hoping to see Maynard but he hardly seems to play, is her unfit?

Player
aldo
Shun Jeffers 18 goals already this season more than our whole team and more than mami has scored in his entire career

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Shun Jeffers 18 goals already this season more than our whole team and more than mami has scored in his entire career

Jeffers was that player Ronnie once wanted to sign but as well as his wages Jeffers wanted us to pay his rent to which Ronnie replied, that’s what your wages are for!!