• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

County v rovers

Player
aldo
Ok peeps are away for is not the best . But this is a chance we have to take . They can't bye a win at the moment. One game at a time . Let's get there do a professional joband move on . If iit's crappie like Saturday but we win I don't care . Let's get all the boys through and rested . Hope the magnificent s.w.a are rewarded with a great team performance. I can see Stockton going out with a point to prove to the fans I really hope he does as it will shut some of the numptys up. 2-0 with Cole getting both

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Think there maybe the odd change to our team as im not sure if we will go 4 4 2 think it will be a draw 1 1

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think the consensus is that the Southport game is more important that this one, so while there's always the risk that giving County a kickstart to their season by fielding a weakened team will come back to bite us, that's what I'd expect in team selection. Key players we can't be without are McNulty, Norwood and in current circumstances Smith, so I'd like to see those three out of the starting xi. Davies is crucial too, but I doubt MM would leave him out and hopefully can get through the trip to Nottingham unscathed. Stockton and Mullin up-front in a 442. While we should be capable of getting something, recent away form sets the alarm bells ringing.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
First of all, does Micky rotate his squad to protect the key players from injury? Personally, I think he needs to be careful not to build up Monday's game TOO much. McCullough to play is a no-brainer, as he can't play in the cup. As for the rest, I'd rest anyone with a niggle, but otherwise pick the best side in the most appropriate formation.

MM often favours 4-5-1 away, but is this appropriate against a side like County? I think I'd risk 4-4-2 and go for it, If fully fit, I'd have Norwood and Mullin upfront, Smith, Jennings, McCullough and Harris in midfield, and the usual defence. I think Ben Tollitt is the only other midfielder we've got.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
There will definitely be squad rotation for this game, and I don't think there is a snowball in hell's chance of seeing Norwood, Smith, Jennings and McNulty all in the starting line up. It is a pity we have to rest players, as this would be a great opportunity to get our away form back on track: County have been awful this season and have not won in nine league games, which is strange when you look at their squad which appears quite strong on paper, with familiar names like Jon Stead, Wayne Hemmings and Kristian Dennis.

If Micky wanted to rotate heavily he could go with the following:

Davies
Caprice Sutton Monthe Zoum
Tollitt McCullough Harris Jennings
Mullin Stockton

In reality, there might not be quite so many changes.

We should be able to pick up a point even with a weakened side, but it is disappointing that we can't really go full throttle in this game. I would guess a reduced Rovers following of about 500 will travel, given the number of matches we have coming up.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
I’m with BBTC, think we’ll go pretty much full strength. We’re in an enticing position in EFL2 & cannot afford to drop points with the likes of Swindon & Oldham on the climb. Think MM will assess who can play Monday after the game because even with a bit of squad rotation we should be able to beat an opposition two leagues lower without a home win to their name this season (I think?) I know that potentially sets it up as a banana skin but that’s where we’ve got to do a professional job.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We weren't capable of beating Southport at home and while their home form is poor, so is our recent away form. Previous results have demonstrated that there isn't enough depth in the squad to be able to cope with the absence of key players. It's a difficult call for the manager.

Player
Manager
John King
We weren't capable of beating Southport at home and while their home form is poor, so is our recent away form. Previous results have demonstrated that there isn't enough depth in the squad to be able to cope with the absence of key players. It's a difficult call for the manager.
Basically agree. I also don't see how key players like Smith and Gilmour who are physically quite fragile could play twice in 72 hours. Several of the old brigade like Macca would also struggle. Fine margins will decide the replay and we need to be at our best.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
MM often favours 4-5-1 away, but is this appropriate against a side like County?
I don't think Mellon ever actually uses different formations for home / away games. He is very adaptable in changing systems, but generally goes with the tactics that best suit the players who are available, or in form, irrespective of where we are playing.

I have never seen us set up with five in midfield away from home with the intention of getting a draw, other than Peterborough in the FA Cup last season perhaps.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree. With the two games coming up in quick succession, I can't see him picking two strong squads. We've actually got this the wrong way round. We should be picking the strong squad for Saturday and the weaker squad for Mon! Are we being too cautious for Mon?

drwhoman

I think there is too much at stake financially for us to treat the Notts game as the more important one. We are doing better than expected in the league and a decent sum from the Cup might enable us to strengthen what is a very thin squad.

ADD

Player
Norwood
He has Franklyn and William's he could play? Been surprised William's has not got into the reckoning at all and given his contract expires January might be worth Saturday playing him. I would rest Norwood and McNulty and probably play the rest. Although maybe Smith should be rested as he seems incapable of playing 90 minutes so don't fancy his chances of 2 games in 3 days.
Have to win against Southport. Re the League realistically given our recent form and squad size we are not good enough to challenge as injuries/ tiredness bite anyhow so we can afford to make limited changes in my book.

Player
aldo
Williams three's gotta be something with him and franklin to . Can't have passengers . Still don't know what the point of bringing them in if there just gonna train and not play . Would have thought Williams would have had a chance with the way the midfield is at the moment but still can't even make the bench.

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
Let's get it right, unless a player has an injury or a niggle then they should be well capable of playing 90 minutes on Saturday and then again on Monday.

They get paid their wages as a salary - not per game. Which means they should be ready to play every game. These are two important games, firstly a game against a County side with 1 win in 12 games that could see us reverse our away form and keep us in the play-off hunt followed by a game against lower opposition that would lead to a lucrative payday. I agree we have a squad, but I'd like to see the strongest 11 on the pitch for both games...

Player
Manager
John King
The way a player receives his wages does not change his physiology. Yes, we can force players to play both games but by the second half of the Southport game they certainly won't be at their best.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'd even say winning on Monday is worth more financially to the club than winning promotion this season. it would give us enough cash to compete for promotion next season. However, if we lose on Monday, the next big pay day could be years away. After all, when was the last one? :(

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Notts County is one game out of 46 in league 2. I want us to win every game but I’m not too bothered if we lose if on Saturday if we can beat southport.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
The biggest game is your next one up because there’s no guarantee of anything going to plan. I still believe MM will name the regs on Saturday.