• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Contracts

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Zoum is definitely on a 2-year deal. Les signed him up when it became clear Cresswell was likely to be gone.

There is some suggestion Kay is also on a 2-year deal...](*,)

I did wonder if Ronnie might have offered Weir another deal. Adequate squad player and he has featured on the bench consistently since RM arrived.
The player profile on the OS implies a one-year deal for Zoum, but according to the BBC, he signed for two. I assume you are right. The OS has Kay on a twelve-month contract. It would have helped if the OS said who was under contract and who was being released.

I think if Rovers have an option on a player, they are not obliged to stay. However, if they leave, then we are entitled to compensation (as for players under 24 who have graduated through our youth scheme). That means the only definites for next season are OFW, McChrystal, Bakayogo and the four youngsters (Power, Vaulks, Stockton and Kirby). Thankfully, Ronnie has said he won't give players a lot of time to decide whether to re-sign or not, so with luck we'll know who's staying by the end of the month.

drwhoman

The good thing in the current situation is that Ronnie has been through it many times before and he is not going to muck around. If you want to entice the best players for this level you need to find out promptly who is available and to get them signed up quickly. He can then start to plan for next season. He is quite right to give the guys offered contracts only a short period to make up their minds. I wonder who he has in mind up front if he is happy to let Chicken and Enoch go? Hopefully it will be someone who knows where the net is. As we all know, scoring goals is always a big issue for us.

Player
Goodison
Now we know who has being offered a new deal and who hasn't, these players will be here next season if they sign:

Fon Williams (GK) (1 year remaining)
Zoom (LB) (1 year remaining)
Goodison (CB)
McCrystal (CB) (1 year remaining)
Welsh (CM)
Robinson (LM)
Taylor (CB)
McGurk (ST) (club taken up option)
Holmes (RB) (club taken up option)
Buchanan (LB)
Akins (RM/ST)
Power (CM) (signed 1 year deal)
Stockton (ST) (signed 1 year deal)
Kirby (LM/CM/RM/AM) (signed 1 year deal)
Vaulks (CB/RB/LB) (signed for 6 months)

If they all stay we're clearly 2 players short on the wings, light upfront - need at least 2, 2 more centre midfielders are needed - a creative player and additional cover, a centre back is also possibly needed as Vaulks in only on a 6 month deal, we also need a keeper to provide cover.

Players Out:
Kay (RB)
Labadie (CM)
Enoch (ST)
Tiriyaki (ST)
Weir (CM)
Coughlin (GK)
Raven (CB/RB)
Devaney (RM)

The only player i'm sad to see go is Labadie, as he could be an excellent player. Unfortunately he seems to have attitude problems and in a small squad, you can't afford to keep a player who is liable to be suspended every other game. I would have possibly considered keeping Devaney on a reduced deal - maybe 6 months with an extension if he's fit for x amount of games.

darrens8761

darrens8761
Player
ITM
Players Out:
Labadie (CM)
Enoch (ST)
Tiriyaki (ST)
Weir (CM)
Coughlin (GK)
Raven (CB/RB)
Devaney (RM)

not suprised really. labadie has ability but he is a liability cos he always gets booked. the rest are garbage.

ronnie has ajob on over summer to re build this squad. esp if the lads offerd new deals go elsewhere.

cassidy and wallace were god league 1 players and it would be good to get them back but i cant see it.

i think ronnie will look to move michael kay on during the summer cos he has not played under him. why we gave him a 2 yr deal in the first place is confusing.

roll on next season when we will look to smash teams like yeovil rather than hope to steal a goal and nick the win when we play them at home.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Labadie could be an excellent player but sadly i think never will be.

Player
Dave Challinor
Hugely surprised to find Kay on a 2 year - but would agree Ronnie needs to dump him, only played 3 times i think mainly cup games.

Feel a little sorry for Coughlin (didn't really see if he could make it), although did notice Dave Timmins (gk coach) has left to join Stoke so poss. Ronnie is looking to bring in Reserve keeper/coach to work with fonners. :-k

The rest are simple calls.

Ronnie's shopping list: Centre mid (as we only have Welsh and Max)
Winger (no showboaters need apply)
2 forwards who can score
+
Back-up keeper

That plus everyone else if they sign gives us 21. =D>

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The idea of a playing goalie-coach like Simon Miotto who can sit on the bench probably appeals, especially as with both Coughlin and Courtney gone there is no youngster in that position.

Robinson and Ash Taylor can play in central midfield if they re-sign.

We also need to recruit 2 strikers, a winger and a central defender plus like for like in respect of those who don't take up their contract offers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In addition to those mentioned by Boz we will need another central midfielder as I don't think there is any way Power will be ready for the responsibility of a full season as one of a midfield pair, and Robinson and Taylor are hardly best utilised in an orthodox central role.

I would imagine the club will come to an arrangement with Kay, as Ronnie is clearly not going to play him and at his age I don't think he will want to spend another season playing reserve team football.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
What is always a concern at this time of year is IF those players affered contracts get a better offer and go elsewhere. I had heard a rumour that the contracts offered are less than what the players are currently on. We have offered deals to Ash, Goody, Welsh, Robbo and Buchanen.
I have heard that Ash is being chased by a number of Championship clubs however his Dad is trying to encourage him to stay at Rovers a while longer, Welsh is unhappy with his contract offer after being promised it would remain the same wage wise, Robbo looks like he will sign and Goody is weighing up his options one being staying in Jamaica. There was also a piece on sky sports about clubs waiting to sign Buchanen.

I think I read that we have taken up the one year options on McGurk, Holmes and Akins, but having 3 out 4 of your back 4 all out of contract is not the most clever thing in the world. But as someone has already said Ronnie has been through this sort of thing before and I am confident a reformed and rested Rovers will get off to a flyer next season.\\:D/

Player
Goodison
I wouldn't be suprised if Buchanan and Welsh got better offers elsewhere. I suspect Zoom's apparances at the end of the season were in anticipation of this. Giving Kay a 2 year contract is one of the worst decisions Tranmere have made in a long time](*,)

Player
Kenny Irons
Giving Kay a 2 year contract is one of the worst decisions Tranmere have made in a long time](*,)

Not quite up there with Alan Mahon's 3 year deal though!

Obviously depends on how much of the budget Kay's wage is taking up. No idea how much that is, but would guess he's a long way from being a top earner.

Giving OFW a 2 year deal was a good piece of business, but with hindsight a 3 year deal would have been better.

Likewise Buchanan has come good, so his one year deal would have been better had it been longer.

On the other hand the 1 year deal for Devaney means we won't have him sitting in the treatment room next year.

Swings and roundabouts

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Sorry to see Raven go. I thought when he got his chance he showed up well. Injury and Holme's form keeping him out. I think he is a decent player and is a good stand-in across the back and capable of holding down a permanent place if given a run.

In response to the other thread re potential signings i would say if Raven was being released elswhere his name would crop up here as a potential signing.

Like others I would love to see Wallace here in some capacity, but can't see us signing him on contract as I believe he will ultimately play at a much higher level and be kept on by Everton.

drwhoman

I had a similar reaction to Raven going. I though he still had something to offer. However, he spent a lot of time in the treatment room last season (a groin problem?) and it may be that the condition is ongoing. With a limited budget the last thing we need is another Devaney. An experienced and talented player but simply unable to get on the pitch week in week out. Labadie clearly had potential and his goals saved us from relegation a couple of years ago. However, as several contributors have said, he is a bit of a loose cannon and we cannot afford to have key guys suspended on a regular basis. Who Ronnie is able to sign should give us an indication as to whether we have any chance next season or whether it is going to be about survival again.