• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Contracts

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not certain which players are out of contract in the summer, but I thought it was worth commenting on who should be retained / released. From my very hazy recollection, the following contracts are up for renewal:

Labadie Retain
Robinson Retain
Showunmi Retain
Power Retain
Coughlin I have seen very little of him, but probably retain
Bakayogo Retain
Welsh Retain
Weir Release
Kay Release
Holmes Retain
Raven Appears somewhat injury prone, but probably retain
Devaney Injury record is a cause for real concern, but probably retain as his
quality can not be easily replaced at this level

Loanees:

Wallace It would be great if we could get him on a long term loan, or even a
permanent deal, to provide competition for Labadie in the central
midfield role

Cassidy Looks a great prospect, but is probably much better than League
One level, so is highly unlikely he will remain long term

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Im fairly sure Akins is out of contract, it will be interesting to see which youth players are kept on maybe stockton vaulks & healing

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think Akins did only sign for a year after stalling on a new contract. Maybe he was hoping for a better offer. Not surprisingly, this never came.

I agree with RLC decisions on who stays and who goes. I would be concerned about Devaney. I realise he has quality in a position where we have very little, but is there any point keeping someone who is only available for half of your games? I dunno..

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I'd keep Akins given his (allegedly) very low earnings. He's never ever injured, has a great attitude and isn't really as bad as people make out. He is fine as a squad player at this level.

I'd like to see Devaney go because, despite having some talent, he has demonstrated none of the above characteristics. We can't afford to carry him and Robbo and sicknote McGurk. Imagine how ****ed we'd be without Akins this year? Weir would have been wide right for most of the season. A small squad needs reliable players. I'd consider letting Raven go for the same reason - and if Enoch is a top earner, then he can **** off to Notts County as well.

Ultimately we can kinda speculate and judge all we like but it will really depend on how much these guys earn...

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
I'd keep Akins given his (allegedly) very low earnings. He's never ever injured, has a great attitude and isn't really as bad as people make out. He is fine as a squad player at this level.

Well done lucas ..has,nt taken that long, to get that monkey, off your back...well done laddy..!:razz:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I would let Enoch go if he is out of contract - past his best and injury prone plus he is probably on a decent wage.

Unless he is happy to stay on peanuts

O

OneNightInGayParis

it would be a brave move to let Enoch go - on his day he can be pretty devestating at this level. This season has been blighted by injury, but it is easy to forget how effective he was for the majority of last season (our Player of the Season). I guess it comes down to who we could bring in - we finished the game with 2 loanees up front on Saturday but this can't be a strategy for a full season, surely?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yeah your right it would depend on who we could bring in - I am sure Ronnie is already planning for next season in terms of potential attacking signings and if the loan signings go back, if we lost Enoch we would be down to the bare bones.

Although McGurk needs a run up top and arguably Chicken although I still dont think he is up to it.

Obviously this is dependent on Ronnie staying !!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
it would be a brave move to let Enoch go - on his day he can be pretty devestating at this level. This season has been blighted by injury, but it is easy to forget how effective he was for the majority of last season (our Player of the Season).

He was never that effective. He ran around a lot and scored a goal every 4 games. If that is irreplaceable then we may as well give up now.

O

OneNightInGayParis

He was never that effective. He ran around a lot and scored a goal every 4 games. If that is irreplaceable then we may as well give up now.

I think this is a a pretty harsh on the big falla. Not quite sure where we would have got those 11 goals from if Enoch hadn't been playing - would Curran have got them, I think not. In addition his committed style of play quite often appeared to motivate the rest of the team.

Anyway, I didn't say he was irreplaceable but that it would depend on who we could bring in to replace him. Since Greenacre in 2006/07 the only player who has managed more league goals in a season was ITM with 13. It kind of suggests that it isn't too easy to find a striker who can score more han 1 in 4 at this level, with our budget constraints etc. etc.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I think this is a a pretty harsh on the big falla. Not quite sure where we would have got those 11 goals from if Enoch hadn't been playing - would Curran have got them, I think not. In addition his committed style of play quite often appeared to motivate the rest of the team.

Anyway, I didn't say he was irreplaceable but that it would depend on who we could bring in to replace him. Since Greenacre in 2006/07 the only player who has managed more league goals in a season was ITM with 13. It kind of suggests that it isn't too easy to find a striker who can score more han 1 in 4 at this level, with our budget constraints etc. etc.

Curran wouldn't have been far away from 11, and probably would have been earning a lot less.

Most sides at this level have a striker who scores more frequently than Enoch, including those below us in the table. Ultimately 14 in 63 isn't good enough for a top earning/senior striker. I'm sure he'd admit that even if you won't.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Enoch's contribution was very important last season, if only because he was the only player really capable of playing the lone striker role (as we have seen in his absence for much of this season). His goalscoring record was decent, and his overall contribution was more significant than I think Sonko is allowing.

However, as Ronnie prefers a front two it my well be that Showunmi would not fit into his plans anyway, and as has been commented, there is a touch of the Bas Savages about his injury problems and dip in form this season.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Yeah i agree same as bas ...

Knakers yard for enoch i,m afraid... there plenty of his type out there ,no problem!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The contract question is a harder issue to address when we haven't got a permanent manager in place. While I doubt Rovers will be mathematically safe until Walsall at the earliest, once that happens, PJ needs to get Ronnie signed up, before he goes elsewhere.

As others have said, it's hard to be sure exactly who's earning most and who are paid peanuts. No funds coming in from transfers, crowds falling and the Main Stand falling apart all add up to a reduced player budget next season. In such circumstances, there might be merit in trying to keep as many of the current squad who are willing to stay and are affordable at the club.

From memory, only OFW, Zoum and McChrystal are in contract beyond this summer. The club has an option on Akins and Tiryaki. The rest are free agents.

I would look at offering 2 year deals to Holmes, Taylor, Buchanan and maybe Welsh. However, this would give us an unbalanced nucleus, but unfortunately none of the attacking players at the club merit more than a year deal.

I'd like to see 1 year deals for Goodi, Robinson, Akins and McGurk. I'd release Kay, but there a group of others who I'm undecided on;

Coughlin: doesn't seem to have impressed for the reserves

Weir: started the season quite brightly, but lost his way a bit.

Labadie: undoubted skill but lacks maturity.

Power: probably deserves another year, but hasn't pressed his case after a promising debut.

Devaney: lack of fitness/pace, but a decent wide player at this level.

Showumni: Hasn't looked the same since his leg-break.

Tiryaki: Will he get the chance to play in a two up for Rovers?

We don't normally give more than two youngsters a pro contract. Stockton has been on the fringes of the first team and deserves one. Vaulks is a decent player, but Ronnie likes central defenders who look like Lurch. Haven't seen Healing in action.

Roachyfella

Player
Ian Muir
I think Enoch should probably go as he is the not the same as when he was at his best but we have massive wage restrictions and who would we get to replace him. Our forward have always been a problem and getting goals from the front.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
I think Enoch should probably go as he is the not the same as when he was at his best but we have massive wage restrictions and who would we get to replace him. Our forward have always been a problem and getting goals from the front.

how do you know we have massive wage restrictions,,, what like heswall FC... or something...such a negative comment and of course .... not necessarily be true so why say it ???

it just brings everybody's expectations down ..!!!!

under RM we will have a decent budget to compete in league 1 no problem ...PJ is,nt. dealing with an idiot in RM you know...!
[-X

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Our crowds are average, our tickets are quite cheap, our overheads are quite large and PJ runs the club in such a way that it is as self-sustaining as realistically possible. Of course have budget constraints compared to previous years.

IMO it is probably a contradiction to suggest that Enoch has the attributes to be a lone striker while also arguing that Curran doesn't.