• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Commentators

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
John Motson legend. and theres one of sky sports whos good cant quite remember the name.

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Mine is Martin Tyler of Sky Sports, I hate Andy Grey though he's a tosser. I do like John Moston as well in the FA cup games

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Good thread this one!

I can tell you who my least favourite is, Motty. When he's commentating on England matches he doesn't give our opponents any respect whatsoever. He doesn't seem to understand that there isn't much difference in standard at that level of the game. He does seem to have an air of bumbling old fool about him (a bit like Murray Walker in F1 before he retired) which although quite endearing, can also be very annoying when he's commentating on big matches.

If I have a favourite, it's probably Andy Gray simply for his enthusiasm.

Although not a commentator as such, Des Lynam is also a legend. I always remember his line at the start of one of England's opening games in a major comp (not sure if it was France 98 or Euro 2000). It was a weekday afternoon and his first words were "Shouldn't you be at work :?: " delivered with a comical raised eyebrow. Shame he's not on TV as much as he used to be :(

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
andy gray - take a bow son, take a bow :lol:

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

:lol: I hate him but that was funny when he said that and Soccer AM ove it too!! I loved as well when he went mad when Steven Gerrard scored in the champions league and he went mad saying "what a hit son, what a hit!!" He should hate Liverpool because he used to play for Everton but he couldn't help himself. LOL :lol:

B

Banana Army

Clive Tydsley is the best. He brings so much drama to thwe game and makes ITV's otherwise average coverage. I used to love him and Ron Atkinson together as a partnership

Player
Morrisey
Clive tylsley too!!! I find Grahame Leseaux quite boring when he is a pundit!!

DixieDean

IMO Motty is just an annoying statto.
I'd rather he described what was going on as opposed to him telling me how someone missed a game once for stubbing their toe on their son's tricycle....

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Can't stand that channel 5 commentator who's moved to sky sports, I don't know his name, but he's the one that goes mental over everything and has that really annoying high-low-high cadence to his voice.

Andy Gray is amusing, not on purpose, but because he's just wrong so much, so often. He also makes more U-turns than your average politician, so that he can pretend he was right all along.

The BBC commentators tend to be the best of the bunch, being as they are knowledgeable (or researched!) and don't commentate as if it's the radio and you can't SEE what's going on, the way that sky and channel 5 commentators do.

Although my all time-favourites are the Bravo commentators for the internationals, they commentate well, but they also say everything slightly tounge-in-cheek which keeps it amusing and fun.

B

Banana Army

NeverBeatDaveHiggins said:
Can't stand that channel 5 commentator who's moved to sky sports, I don't know his name, but he's the one that goes mental over everything and has that really annoying high-low-high cadence to his voice.

Jonathan Pearce? If so couldnt agree more. However on the radio he is excellent. Its almost like you need a picture painted on the radio on 5 live, but not on the tele, and he paints a very vivid picture.

trevor francis,graeme le saux and chris kamara are so annoying!my fave commentator is definetly john motson,he's a legend!andy gray,martin tyler and clive tydsley are quality too but not as good as motto!alan smith(ex - arsenal) is a good co-commentator!and jimmy arnfield gots the best voice for the radio!

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
i liked barry davies before he quit.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I think Alan Green is good on five live... he's funny because he always sounds grumpy and is always moaning so if its a dull game he will make you laugh. The best two though are Martin Tyler and then probably Clive Tyldsley.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I didn't really like Barry Davies... although he tried his best to get enthusiastic!

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Banana Army said:
NeverBeatDaveHiggins said:

Jonathan Pearce? If so couldnt agree more. However on the radio he is excellent. Its almost like you need a picture painted on the radio on 5 live, but not on the tele, and he paints a very vivid picture.

I hate sooooooooo much he gets too excited and he knows jack about football neither. He always gets his states wrong as well