• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Colchester v Rovers

Colchester v Rovers
Posted by Ian
JobServe Stadium
Saturday, March 23, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 23, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
aldo
well as mm has said the break has done the boys the world of good . there all rested and mentally rested too . lets hope we get at them and hit em hard . lets hope we have a good turn out by the super white army . going for 4-1

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
This will be a tough game think but I am feeling confident and think we will win 2 1

Player
ian goodison
much more confident now as before xmas I wouldn,t have given us much hope, scottie & the back 4 seem more settled the new lads have added more quality, hope for a win won,t be too upset with a draw

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is difficult to know what constitutes a good result in this game. A draw probably keeps us on course for the play offs, but if we want to go up automatically we need to win: as tough as this game is, there are tougher challenges to follow against MK, Bury and Lincoln, where we are likely to drop points.

Colchester looked a strong, well organised side at Prenton Park, but are in poor form with three 3-0 defeats in their last four matches. They are missing some key players like Harry Pell, but they will appreciate the importance of this game as much as us and it will be incredibly tough. We have a good record at Colchester's new home. I have never seen us lose there and it is a ground where we have picked up some important results in recent years: Ryan Shotton scoring in a 1-0 win in 2009 to keep us in contention for the play-offs; a vital 1-1 draw in 2010 which set up the survival matches against Millwall and Stockport; and a 5-1 victory in 2013 which we wrongly assumed had got our promotion campaign back on track. I would settle for 1-0 on Saturday.

I think we will line up in the 451 formation again, with Banks as the playmaker. We have pre-sold about 350 tickets, so it looks like being another good turnout from the SWA, probably 500 plus.

I am praying for a Rovers victory to keep our automatic hopes alive,

Last edited:
Player
aldo
im sending positive vibes through for the boys and will be willing the boys to play well and win . i have set my self a target for every win we have im running an extra mile a week i do 17 a week now so in a few weeks im hoping to be on 26 a week . im getting through but as long as the boys win i dont care i will have a few days free when we stop winning

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
At last I am able to go to another game. Because of holidays and geography, I haven't seen the team this season since the first match. Kent was great last season in the NL but it's not so easy in League Two. This will be a new ground for me and I've counted 48 different grounds where I've seen a Rovers team play. Hope to make it 50 before long, but it's difficult.

Not quite the start of a run of "cup finals" but this is now crunch time. The winning run will end before long but as long as we keep picking up points off our rivals, we will stay in the play-off zone. I am hoping the break is a positive and the team is refreshed but hasn't lost the momentum of the five wins. I am expecting a virtually unchanged team and squad and predicting an away win by 2-0 or 3-1.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It will be good to get your opinion on the new look team BBTC. When I was bored over Xmas I totted up the number of grounds I had seen Rovers play at. In a few weeks time Newport, my only new one in this division, will be my 148th.

Player
aldo
will do if my knees hold up have had stuff wrong with em . this is prob gonna be my last big one lol

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
When I was bored over Xmas I totted up the number of grounds I had seen Rovers play at. In a few weeks time Newport, my only new one in this division, will be my 148th.
Wow, that's quite impressive given that there are only 72 league clubs and 24 in the NL. You can't have missed many away games and I expect that includes pre-season friendlies - and both Wembleys, of course.
It will be good to get your opinion on the new look team BBTC.
Funny you say that, RLC. I was just thinking how cleverly Micky has developed the squad over the past year. Several of the Wembley squad decided to move on, but he kept the rest to keep the continuity and build on the momentum. Then gradually we saw Cole and Sutton leave and we now only have eight of last season's regulars left on the books. Of those, will we see much more of Harris, Buxton and McNulty in a Rovers shirt before their contracts end this summer? Micky has done great business in the last two transfer windows, particularly in January, as recent results show. As a result, he has changed what was a squad capable of a mid-table finish into promotion challengers.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
will do if my knees hold up have had stuff wrong with em . this is prob gonna be my last big one lol
Training is tough, AM. It's the worst part. I did the London Marathon a few years back and my knees really suffered. My advice is to train on grass if you can and avoid tarmac. The odd session on an exercise bike would probably help too.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
If we come away with a point we need to let reality kick in and see it as a good away point that keeps us in the playoff mix rather than two points lost in the race for third.
Yeah, easier said than done!
Other than Exeter away, Stags have a fairly comfortable run in against mid table teams. If we don't win tomorrow I'll be looking at teams below us rather than above.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Colchester were a team of some height and they may use that to their advantage, although they weren't long-ball merchants in the game at PP. Expecting an unchanged side for Rovers.

I don't think a draw would be a bad result here.

drwhoman

148 grounds following one club is VERY impressive. I clocked up a few grounds over the years but it was not just Rovers but South Liverpool in the Lancashire Combination and Northern Premier League and also most of the London grounds and Wembley when I lived in London. I always found it great fun to go on an away trip. A real day out which was usually by bus and train in the 1960s and early 1970s, an assessment of the local ales and pies and a bit of banter (at most grounds!) with the home fans! A long trip home after a loss was usually the only downside!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
148 grounds following one club is VERY impressive.
I've known RLC for many years and he's one of the most committed and knowledgeable TRFC supporters you'll meet. Hat's off to you sir! :thumbsup:

I'm getting a bit nervous for tomorrow. I don't want this winning streak to end..

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Now we are getting to the tail end of the season with all to play for, here's tomorrow's fixtures with current standings to keep an eye on.

Carlisle (9) v Cambridge (21)
Mansfield (3) v Crewe (14)
MK Dons (4) v Yeovil (22)
Crawley (18) v Lincoln (1)
Macclesfield (23) v Stevenage (10)
Swindon (13) v Morecambe (19)
Grimsby (16) v Bury (2)
Notts County (24) v Exeter (7)
Port Vale (20) v Forest Green (6)
Cheltenham (17) v Northampton (11)

On paper, it looks like some easy wins for the top sides. Lincoln play 18th placed Crawley, Bury at 16th placed Grimsby, Mansfield home to Crewe, Dons at home to Yeovil in 22nd and Forest Green play 20th placed Port Vale. Let's hope there's some shocks in store!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Now we are getting to the tail end of the season with all to play for, here's tomorrow's fixtures with current standings to keep an eye on.

Carlisle (9) v Cambridge (21)
Mansfield (3) v Crewe (14)
MK Dons (4) v Yeovil (22)
Crawley (18) v Lincoln (1)
Macclesfield (23) v Stevenage (10)
Swindon (13) v Morecambe (19)
Grimsby (16) v Bury (2)
Notts County (24) v Exeter (7)
Port Vale (20) v Forest Green (6)
Cheltenham (17) v Northampton (11)

On paper, it looks like some easy wins for the top sides. Lincoln play 18th placed Crawley, Bury at 16th placed Grimsby, Mansfield home to Crewe, Dons at home to Yeovil in 22nd and Forest Green play 20th placed Port Vale. Let's hope there's some shocks in store!
Yes, Ian, but the sides near the bottom are fighting for their lives and seem to know how to cause an upset! I wouldn't say any results are bankers for the higher side - certainly not Rovers!