• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Colchester v Rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Trip down to Essex for Rovers last away-day of the season, doubt there will be much travelling support for this fairly meaningless match between two mid-table sides.

Rovers have two enforced changes, with Coughlin making his first start for the suspended OFW, while presumably McChrystal will replace the absent Ash Taylor. Our rookie keeper didn't look confident when forced to join the action last weekend, hope he's able to turn in a more assured showing on Saturday. McChrystal will slot in more easily and hopefully Goodi will be back to his best. It will be interesting to see who provides defensive cover on the bench, as an indicator of possible departures.

A number of options further up the park, but I don't see Ronnie making too many changes. Last week's experiment with Cassidy supported by Robinson/McGurk up front didn't work, so hopefully he will revert to a more orthodox pairing up front.

Prediction: My feeling is that with the weaknesses in defence, we'll probably get comfortably beaten here.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I always enjoy the final away game and did intend going on Saturday, but won't make it now due to work commitments.

I think McGurk may start again up front, but alongside someone with greater physical presence, ie. Brunt or Enoch (unless he has already been written out of the manager's plans). Then again, RM has said that he wants to look at a couple of youngsters before the end of the season, so maybe Cole Stockton will be involved, buoyed by receiving his first contract ?

I would imagine it will be a low key affair similar to last Saturday, and I would settle for a point.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Our rookie keeper didn't look confident when forced to join the action last weekend, hope he's able to turn in a more assured showing on Saturday.

Thats a bit harsh - what are you basing that on?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thats a bit harsh - what are you basing that on?
I think it's a fair assessment of his 20 or so minutes last weekend. Got nowhere near the free-kick that hit the bar, only had one other 'save' to make when the ball aimed straight at him without any force. His distribution consisted entirely of long kicks; not ideal when we'd taken our only striker off. Hardly opened his mouth and didn't appear to command his area.

I'm not saying he's a bad keeper, haven't seen enough of him to judge and the nerves may have heightened with the mess about the sending-off before he came on. Like I said, hope for a more assured performance this weekend.

Player
Liam Palmer
Totally harsh. He got nowhere near the free-kick that hit the post? Well, so what? It hit the post. Maybe he had his angles spot on? And you haven't mentioned the smart stop with his foot which denied Hartlepool a winner. Give the poor lad a sporting chance.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I've looked at the post-hitting free-kick again, he dived for it and got nowhere near. If he'd been that sure it wasn't going in wouldn't have dived at all!

Can't understand why you guys are getting so het up. My impression was that Andy Coughlin didn't appear confident last week. If you thought he was brilliant then fine. I'd be delighted if he turns out to be the next John Achterberg

Player
Liam Palmer
Not getting het up at all. Just think you are being over critical of the lad based on 20 minutes of football.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought he did ok. He came on in very difficult circumstances and was not helped by some decidedly dodgy defending in front of him in that final spell.

I doubt that he will be offered a further contract now as he does not seem to have made a great impression in his reserve performances, but I think it would be harsh to judge him on those twenty minutes. We will get a much better idea of his capabilities tomorrow.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I thought this was a thread about today's match! It seems everybody else is as interested in it as I am. I am now waiting for the season to end, the retained list to be announced and some more players to be signed.

OK, there's not a lot for either side to play for. On paper, they are evenly matched and most recent results between them have been a draw. So I am going for 1-1. I hope some of the fringe players get a chance to impress - and do so.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I thought this was a thread about today's match! It seems everybody else is as interested in it as I am. I am now waiting for the season to end, the retained list to be announced and some more players to be signed.

OK, there's not a lot for either side to play for. On paper, they are evenly matched and most recent results between them have been a draw. So I am going for 1-1. I hope some of the fringe players get a chance to impress - and do so.
Hopelessly optimistic. I apologise.

Status
Not open for further replies.