• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Colchester 1-1 TRFC

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We are still hanging on, with the way the other games went.

Wycombe drew which means they are still 3 points below us. Gillingham lost keeping them only 2 points ahead of us and Exeter drew again only 2 points ahead. It's so close, even Orient may get dragged in after they lost to Millwall.

Not a bad point considering, but it means we have two win our last two games to reach the magic 51 points and hopeful safety.

Broomes, again, incredibly unlucky not score right at the end as their keeper pulled off a great save.

Can we do it?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Can we do it?

barack-obama-yes-we-can.jpg

todays results, including our own, have gone well. everything to play for. i fancy us against milwall.

labadie has made a big impact on the team in the absence of mclaren. robbo also sounded like he was a threat coming from the bench, ideally he'd start these last two games but i don't think he will.

O

OneNightInGayParis

Good point today - yes, we can still do it. I think a win and a draw out of the last 2 games would see us safe on 49 points. If we win and lose I think we could miss out on goal difference.

Whether we will escape is another matter! I feel that we really are odds against now. It is really out of our hands and the current (reasonable) form being displayed by both Exeter and Gillingham could throw some spanners into the calculations.

Just looked back at some of the points we have thrown away this season and it's enough to make you cry!:cry:

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
It think we'll probably need 2 wins tbh

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yep - I wouldn't settle for anything less than two wins, which is what I hope the lads will be saying to each other.

Any home game is winnable, and we usually play better against decent opposition, and Stockport away is also winnable, considering they are officially the worst team in this league. Getting trounced 6-0 hopefully means they have given up even playing now.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Good draw today - means we are still in with a chance. That shambles against Wycombe could be costly eventually though.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I was a bit surprised at the team selection today. Broomes hadn't done badly at right-back, but if it was felt Logan's attacking skills made him the better prospect, then leave the changes at that. Ash is better in central defence, Edds could have remained in midfield. I don't think Marlon is good enough to be a "must play", despite two decent injury time efforts in his last couple of games. Also thought that Robinson might have started.

The other results today mainly went as expected, though I'd hoped Brentford would beat Yeovil to keep them in the mix. Millwall have a lot to play for, whereas Southampton who the Gills play are out of play-off contention. Hartlepool will hopefully get an ineligible player points deduction, otherwise they too are not going to need a result as much as Exeter. The reality is that we've got to beat Millwall to be in with a good chance of staying up.

Anyway, L1 or L2, I bought a full season-ticket today for the first time in years, so like the Terminator, I'll be back.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It was a good performance today. We were the better side and edged both halves, without really deserving the three points. That said Broomes (of all people!) had a superb volley tipped over by their keeper in the 94th minute which I was sure was destined for the top corner.

I have to admit that the couple of minutes following their goal, which was an absolute belter from Wordsworth, were among the worst I have ever experienced watching Rovers, as I felt sure we would end up getting spanked and be all but relegated today. Fortunately, my fears were unfounded as we equalized and went on to dominate the next half an hour. We had a couple of spells of fifteen minutes in each half where we were sloppy and sat too deep, but otherwise we were on the front foor.

Standout performances came from Moore, who was full of skill and endeavour, and the two full backs, with Logan justifying his recall. Labadie was again impressive, and was instrumental in creating our goal, while I should also put in a good word for John Welsh who really drove us forward at times, particulary in the second half. I agree with Boz that Taylor should play at centre back ahead of Broomes, who I wouldn't fancy at all againct Millwall's forward line.

The resilience of the middle part of the season seems to have returned, and I now think our destiny will basically be decided by the Millwall game: win this and in our current mood I am sure we will get enough at Stockport to stay up. Hopefully we can produce an inspired Southampton / Norwich-esque performance on the day.

To this end I think Robinson has to play the full ninety minjutes against Millwall. When he came on today he again showed some classy touches, and fizzed a couple of brilliant balls into the box, but didn't have long enough to really dictate the pace of the game. Why leave a player of his quality on the bench, particularly when he is costing us (or the fans) a relative fortune ?

Player
Goodison
Anyway, L1 or L2, I bought a full season-ticket today for the first time in years, so like the Terminator, I'll be back.

Thought you would pick the hard times to return to eh!

I wont be renewing for non financial/football reasons.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thought you would pick the hard times to return to eh!

I wont be renewing for non financial/football reasons.
That's enigmatic, why aren't you renewing, mate?

Buying at this time means I only need to make 16 games to break even. Work and geography make it unlikely I'll get to every game. However have come to realise just how much Tranmere do matter to me, hence the purchase.

Player
Goodison
That's enigmatic, why aren't you renewing, mate?

Going to university which is it a bit inpractical to get to Tranmere, if I did buy a season ticket I probably wouldn't get to even half the games so it's not worth it.

Foz

Player
Terry Gornell

Thank goodness we are still in with a shout. Have to beat Millwall i think although good chance surely of Exeter losing away to HArtlepool and Gills losing to inform Southampton.

Stockport game I feel is going to be the get out of jail card really good chance of 3 pts. Just need to ensure that the other 2 don't pull away from us. At the moment I would take it if someone said Exeter & Gills and us all lose next weekend and take it to the last game witha 2pt gap on them.

Les has done a really good job to date.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Going to university which is it a bit inpractical to get to Tranmere, if I did buy a season ticket I probably wouldn't get to even half the games so it's not worth it.

Good luck with that, where are you studying? I went to Swansea, which severely curtailed my chance to get to Rovers games, so went to watch the locals. Still have a soft spot for the Swans.

Foz, I fear we need to get something from the Millwall game to keep our hopes alive. I can see Gillingham getting at least a point against a Saints side with nothing to play for; Gills have a good home record too. The Pools v Exeter game is harder to call, depends whether the home side have a points deduction or not.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sheffield is a great place to be a student. Worked there for a while and a number of my colleagues were students who'd stuck around after finishing their studies.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Ha, I had to choose between Sheffield and Manchester a few years back - one of the reasons I opted for the latter was so I could make it to Tranmere games.

Player
Goodison
Ha, I had to choose between Sheffield and Manchester a few years back - one of the reasons I opted for the latter was so I could make it to Tranmere games.

The other options were further away, although that was a consideration during applicaton!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I didnt exactly agree with the team selection on Saturday as a few didnt, but cant complain about a point away from home. Just hope it isnt too little too late.

Have to beat Millwall. Simple as that IMO. Robinson must start. Curran for all his hard work doesnt offer enough of a goal threat on a regular basis. I would even be tempted to play Gornell instead of Savage who has played the last 6/7 games now to little effect.