• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Col U v Rovers

Match result

• Colchester

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Col U v Rovers
Posted by Ian
JobServe Stadium
Tuesday, March 23, 2021 - 07:00 PM
Until: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 - 09:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The hectic schedule continues for Rovers with a long trip to Essex, as we face out-of-form Colchester.

The hosts have only won once in twenty games, and have failed to score in five of their last six matches, and I expect this match to run on similar lines to Grimsby last week. I doubt there will be much football played and I anticipate that it will be a scrappy affair, settled by the odd goal if either side wins it. There is bound to be serious fatigue in our squad, and our success probably depends on how much physical and mental energy the players have left after a gruelling couple of weeks.

Colchester have a few familiar names in their squad, including ex-Rovers loanee Shamal George, Harry Pell and Frank Nouble. However, their supporters seem very critical of their January transfer business, which included allowing Luke Norris to move to relegation rivals Stevenage.

In terms of our own selection, Keith hinted that there would have to be more rotation on Tuesday. I would guess Lloyd and Lewis might start this game, and there might be some unexpected changes elsewhere depending on the condition of certain players. It is a concern that Clarke, Spearing and Feeney have played virtually every game recently, and there is bound to be an increased risk of muscle injuries, particularly for the midfield players who cover so much ground.

Forest Green have a tricky away game at Mansfield, so a win could see us enter the top three for only the second time this season and would also gives us some breathing space to Bolton, whose form is unrelenting. It would certainly be good to establish ourselves in the automatic positions before an absolutely huge Easter weekend, when we face both Cheltenham and Cambridge.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Overall the hosts haven’t fared too well since their manager and ex rovers accomplished centre back John Mcgreal left the club. Shamal George put on one of the worst rovers goalkeeping displays I’ve seen for us in the checkatrade trophy at home to Crewe a couple of years ago.

As with the Grimsby game it is another good opportunity but I agree it is likely to be a scrappy contest.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Colchester went down the same route as Rovers in appointing their previous manager's assistant, though Steve Ball had a better start and lasted longer than Mike Jackson, but are now in temporary management of ex BNP voter, Wayne Brown. Given the diversity within the Colchester squad, you have to hope he's ditched such unpalatable views.

It sounded from KH's post-match comments that Ray had sustained a head injury, so there will have to be adjustment for that at the back, though Manny had a steady game when he came on while it also sounds like Sid Nelson is match-fit again. O'Connor isn't going to be required for a specific man-marking role, but could he stay as the defensive midfielder and give Jay Spearing a rest? Difficult decision given how influential Jay has been recently. KH sounded quite happy about Nugent's performance, so he may start again, despite the legitimate reservations expressed on here.

In theory this might be an easier game than Grimsby, who had at lease stopped the rot, but another second half like that game may not turn out well. We need something and ideally everything from our trip to Essex before a challenging trio of games ahead.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Colchester went down the same route as Rovers in appointing their previous manager's assistant, though Steve Ball had a better start and lasted longer than Mike Jackson, but are now in temporary management of ex BNP voter, Wayne Brown. Given the diversity within the Colchester squad, you have to hope he's ditched such unpalatable views.

It sounded from KH's post-match comments that Ray had sustained a head injury, so there will have to be adjustment for that at the back, though Manny had a steady game when he came on while it also sounds like Sid Nelson is match-fit again. O'Connor isn't going to be required for a specific man-marking role, but could he stay as the defensive midfielder and give Jay Spearing a rest? Difficult decision given how influential Jay has been recently. KH sounded quite happy about Nugent's performance, so he may start again, despite the legitimate reservations expressed on here.

In theory this might be an easier game than Grimsby, who had at lease stopped the rot, but another second half like that game may not turn out well. We need something and ideally everything from our trip to Essex before a challenging trio of games ahead.
Did not realise Brown is a BNP supporter. All the more reason to win the game.....

Player
aldo
think we might see a couple of changes think lewis will come in and Jay will be on the bench can see Lloyd playing and hope Nug, gets another goal as I said yesterday 2 goals in 64 games is what he is at so needs to get his head down think we will win 3-1 being positive as normal I don,t care even if its a scrappy 1-0 as long as we win

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The squad are travelling down tomorrow and staying over like they did for the southend game, I'm going for an away win 1 0

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It’s a good move to travel down tomorrow - to avoid a long journey on the day and for team spirit. It worked for the Southend game.

There may be a case for resting some of the older players and even leaving them at home so they get a complete break, but that would depend on the injury situation. After Mansfield at PP on Saturday they gave six days until the next game, although they will need it to prepare for Cheltenham away.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I wonder why cbt was not involved at all yesterday after starting last Tuesday.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Just seen the video of George Ray's fall into the Cowshed stand......that could so easily have cost him his career, not to mention his life. Just hope he's ok but surely must be a doubt for tomorrow. The club certainly need to do something about removing those dangerous concrete walls so close to the pitch before a player is seriously injured. https://fb.watch/4nxZh85r7C/

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just seen the video of George Ray's fall into the Cowshed stand......that could so easily have cost him his career, not to mention his life. Just hope he's ok but surely must be a doubt for tomorrow. The club certainly need to do something about removing those dangerous concrete walls so close to the pitch before a player is seriously injured. https://fb.watch/4nxZh85r7C/
That is horrendous. I’m amazed no one realised it was so dangerous before. I hope he was not seriously injured.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Wow. Looks like he went headfirst into the concrete. Lucky boy.

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
Yes, he was very lucky not to break neck or back. Glad he appears to be recovering relatively quickly..

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Thankfully he is none the worse for it by the looks of it, I remember same thing happened a few years ago into the kop it may have been John otsemabor who I think dislocated his shoulder.