• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Chorley v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Anyone at this friendly?

George in goal, Pilling doesn't even make the bench. Tonga doesn't feature, presumably he's been binned,but a new un-named triallist up front.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
No. 19 trialist up top. Coloured lad about 5'10" Any ideas?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
John Barnes?

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Harris off Norburn on. Not obviously injured and was one of our better performers. Slight knock maybe.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Pretty even and unconvincing first half. Chorley have hit us effectively on the break. Ellis has had a poor game, losing a lot in the air ... I'd say he owes George a couple of pints for bailing him out. Positives? Cole and Caprice linking well on the right; Gilmore my man of the half; George looks very assured. Hopefully the half time changing of the guard will improve things. Had a crafty fag with young Long's Grandad before the match so hoping he gets some game time before the end. No 19 get a shot away at the end of the half but has hardly touched the ball - then again Norwood hasn't been much more effective. Tollitt has had a lot of ball and been willing to take men on but no end result as yet. 0-0.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
CJ breaks the deadlock. A better performance this half but excellent saves by George and Wharton have been critical.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Chorley doing most if the attacking at present including a header onto the bar.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Poor miss by Banks after Chorley have taken a player off and not replaced him! Strange! 11 v 10.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Bad miss by Tollitt and the 10 men nearly score from a break. FT 1-0.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for the updates ONIGP.

Pleased Tollit got a full 90 minutes and would be interested how George got on in goal. Sounded like Johnny Smith did well creating the goal I assume the Trialist wasn’t great as was taken off at half time.

The cook replacement search goes on...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the updates ONIGP. It doesn't sound a wholly convincing performance.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Sparky, George was excellent in goal saving our blushes several times and looking commanding. It will be interesting so see who will be our No. 1 when Davies regains fitness. Having said that, judgement is based on 2 performances! I like Smith; he is skilful and direct and doesn't give defenders the chance to switch off. The Trialist wasn't great but could only be judged on a handful of touches; his movement looked reasonable but he didn't seem to have any "trick" when he had the ball, so was closed out quickly. I'm not sure whether he had a shirt from a different batch or whether he sweats profusely but it was noticeable that it was definitely a darker shade of red by half time! After commenting on Ellis's poor first half, I must say he was a lot better in the second half, reading the play well and making some important and timely interceptions and tackles.

I know the Cook replacement debate rages on, but from the 3 pre-season games I have see (Warrington, Fleetwood, Chorley) progress on the pitch looks disjointed and unsatisfactory. I would have hoped we would have developed more as a team and with a more distinctive pattern of play. Although, on the face of it, it was an excellent set of pre-season fixtures I don't think the order of them has favoured us - but I guess that is the trade off when you arrange games with Premier, Championship and League 1 opposition. Mind you I've seen so many great pre-seasons over the years followed by crap seasons and vice-versa that I'm not going to get too disheartened just yet!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with most of ONIGP's comments above. It was a patchy performance and a pretty forgettable game, albeit with a lot of goalmouth action. We probably just about deserved the victory as we had a few touches of class when it mattered.

The real positives were the performances of George and Smith. The new keeper's handling was excellent throughout and he was tested consistently in both halves. My only slight reservation would be that on the one occasion that Chorley swung a ball into the box he did not look too commanding. I would say he is well ahead of Pilling on that display, but Davies would still be our number one if fit.

Smith was excellent. Every time he got the ball you sensed something was going to happen, and he is equally adept at getting on the end of things in the box as taking players on and creating. A very exciting pospect and it was Johnny who set up the goal for Jennings with our best move of the game.

Elsewhere, I actually thought Ellis was very good and I have been impressed with him in every game so far. He made one bad rick in the fist half but was quick enough to recover his position and get in a blocking tackle. He is mobile and seems to read the game well. Caprice was positive in the first half and got forward at every opportunity. The triumvirate of Jennings, Banks and Norburn played within themselves but looked very composed.

Personally, I am not still not sure about Gilmour. He is always willing to get on the ball but had an up and down match I thought. The trialist striker worked the channels well but did not seem to have much else about his game. Tollitt made several bursting runs and constantly caused problems but still looks short of his best. It is a pity his goalbound effort was cleared off the line at the end, as the goal would have done his confidence the world of good.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Brilliant report on the game ONIGP!! Thanks so much!! May raise more questions than answers but hey, that’s what pre-season is all about I guess...

Player
aldo
thanks guys . must say smith looks great . glad cj got his goal and he needs to add more to his game he should a 15/20 a year player . needs to be played in his best role

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Only friendlies but I’d be interested how Mullin did. Still have concerns over our goal threats as midfield didn’t provide many last season apart from Jennings spell in December and Nors can only do so much.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Mullin did OK I thought. I think Smith and Jennings are both natural goalscorers so I am not too concerned. We really need to play Connor centrally this season though, not out wide.

Last edited: